sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 20, 2023 7:47 pm  #1

CTV London

Last night. on the news from CTV London, one of the stories involved an on the street interview with someone in Toronto. The reporter was holding a CP 24 mic in his hand. Are they related to CTV?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

May 20, 2023 8:16 pm  #2

Re: CTV London

Bell owns CP24 and CTV. 
CP 24 gets to sneak into a CTV London newscast because of the Toronto connection. 

Years ago, CHUM group owned both CP24 and City TV, but when the Waters family sold, Bell was not allowed to own both CTV and CITY TV. 
They were allowed to keep CP24 though, so Rogers bought City TV and Bell kept CTV and CP 24.

As for a CP24 mic appearing on CTV London's news, I'm not too concerned, granted that there is a Toronto connection in the news story. 
(in this case, the answer is yes)

Last edited by Radiowiz (May 20, 2023 8:22 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 20, 2023 8:29 pm  #3

Thanks for the history lesson. I didn't know that.

The story wasn't specific to Toronto or anywhere. They were just talking to people on the street asking about their plans for the long weekend.

The reporter wasn't even on camera. You could just see his mic held out in front of the person he was speaking with.

May 20, 2023 9:34 pm  #4

In that case, it probably wasn't even a reporter, just a shooter.

May 20, 2023 9:40 pm  #5

I've seen streeters with a Citytv mic on CHCH a few times over the last few years.

May 20, 2023 10:26 pm  #6

I noticed they switched weekend anchors on CTV London. It is Amandalina Letterio she came from the CTV station in Regina.
You can read more about her here: https://london.ctvnews.ca/amandalina-letterio-1.6374525

May 21, 2023 10:08 am  #7

Amandalina is quite good and better than the regular weeknight anchor Reta Ismail (in my opinion).

Where did Carlye Fiset go? He was the weekend anchor at CTV2 London.

May 21, 2023 3:53 pm  #8

zed wrote:

Amandalina is quite good and better than the regular weeknight anchor Reta Ismail (in my opinion).

Where did Carlye Fiset go? He was the weekend anchor at CTV2 London.

I think Carlye got the week off. I agree that Amadalina is good. Her voice sounds a bit like Sija Liu's I got a bit confused who was anchoring the London news.

May 22, 2023 8:24 pm  #9

Also don't expect any local news during holiday Monday. 

May 22, 2023 8:27 pm  #10

haydenmatthews14 wrote:

Also don't expect any local news during holiday Monday. 

Yes. We'll all be treated to an exciting and intellectually stimulating episode of E Talk.

May 23, 2023 3:20 pm  #11

I'm sure they could have sent a camera locally to ask the same question, but this appears to be a way to cut down use of a crew to ask the same question and get very similar answers.   It would have cost them zero to use the CP24 streeter on all CTV/CTV2 newscasts.   At is a missed opportunity to be visible in the community though, but the fact they had a newscast at all on a long weekend is amazing.