sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 15, 2023 8:02 am  #1

Would You Accept A Free 55" TV If It Came With These Strings Attached?

It's a gimmick created by one of the people who founded Pluto TV, the free online streaming service. His plan: give away a 55" 4K TV worth over $1,000 to anyone who applies for one. It comes with a mic that allows for voice commands and a built-in HD camera for video chats. It's an expensive proposition and so far, it's only in the U.S., but you have to ask yourself: why would anyone do this? 

The answer explains the idea. The TV comes with a few screens - your regular TV, the ability to stream off the web and - here's where the devil is in the details - a small second screen underneath that displays a rotating round of ads designed to reach your specific demographic. It doesn't exactly say in the story, but it appears you can't turn that off. 

And that's not all.

“You’re giving us your demographics, your psychographics at the individual and household level before you even get your device, so we know who you are, we know where you live, we know your income, we know what car you’re driving, we know when your lease is up,” [Pluto founder Ilya] Pozin says. “We know what your favorite brands are. We know your favorite sports teams are so when you first bring your TV home, you scan a QR code with your phone, all the data is already there.”

And then that small extra screen feeds you ads tailored directly to what advertisers think you need or might want. 

Which leads to the question: would you accept this expensive freebie if it meant giving up your personal information? My guess is many will for the privilege of getting a brand-new state of the art TV for free. But in the end, they may one day learn that nothing is free. And I have to say given all that comes with it, there's no way I'd put this in my living room. 

A Startup From the Co-Founder of Pluto TV Thinks America Is Ready for Free TVs

May 15, 2023 9:44 am  #2

Re: Would You Accept A Free 55" TV If It Came With These Strings Attached?

This is important: What's there to prevent blocking the ticker screen with something? (Anything...) and also covering the camera with tape or something?
Will the TV still work? In other words, does the TV suddenly malfunction or shut down if it can perhaps be smart enough to understand that the ad portion is blocked from viewing? Does it have sensors? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 15, 2023 11:03 am  #3

NO

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

May 15, 2023 1:40 pm  #4

https://www.gingersoftware.com/content/phrases/no-strings-attached/

I needed to find out the origin of the expression and wasn't disappointed.

I like Radiowiz's idea of covering part of the t.v.

Physical television sets are a status symbol/tech toy, good for sports and some movies but still necessary? Meh.

Last edited by betaylored (May 15, 2023 3:14 pm)

May 15, 2023 6:37 pm  #5

betaylored wrote:

Physical television sets are a status symbol/tech toy, good for sports and some movies but still necessary? Meh.

Eventually watching TV on a smartphone is a no no. The larger screen becomes a must...question is, how large? 
32 inch can meet the needs, 43 inch is what I have. (for now)  
55 inch is the way to go to impress friends who might want to watch the big game or maybe catch a movie. 
Most smart TVs now include Disney Plus as an option. You don't even need cable anymore. lol
It is nice being able to talk into the Rogers Ignite remote though, simply saying "Disney Plus" and instantly being sent to Disney Plus.

May 15, 2023 7:06 pm  #6

Would you accept a free USB stick from a friendly fella with a thick Russian accent you just met in the parking lot?

May 15, 2023 7:07 pm  #7

75" minimum for me

May 16, 2023 9:58 am  #8

You are allowed to opt out, but then the TV must be returned OR billed to your credit card. ($1000?) 

FROM TELE: 
Exercising Your Rights You have the right to opt-out of sharing your Viewing and Activity Data, but unfortunately, that means you will no longer have access to the Services [and must return the television]. If you opt out and do not return the television to Telly, Telly will charge the credit card on file. To opt-out of any viewing and activity data collection, please send email: support@freetelly.com.
SOURCE:   https://www.freetelly.com/viewing-and-activity-data-policy

May 22, 2023 2:14 pm  #9

Free beats privacy, I suppose. So far, over 100,000 people have signed up to get this "pay-for-nothing" TV. It took only 36 hours.

Telly Says 100,000 People Signed Up for Free TV Sets