sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 14, 2023 5:52 pm  #1

Happy 75th Birthday Channel 4

May 14, 1948 WBEN signed on to viewers in Western New York and the Toronto area on channel 4. For the first seven months of operation they were affilliated with NBC. In January 1949, they became a primary CBS affilliate. Two local shows I remember were Popeye's Playhouse with Captain Mike Marion and Buttons the Cabin Boy and Meet The Millers. During summer vacation I always watched Popeye at 9am weekdays. My mom would always watch the Millers at 1pm for new recipes and cooking tips.

May 14, 2023 7:28 pm  #2

Re: Happy 75th Birthday Channel 4

Here are a few memory floggers that may help you recall those days.

May 14, 2023 7:54 pm  #3

mace wrote:

May 14, 1948 WBEN signed on to viewers in Western New York and the Toronto area on channel 4. For the first seven months of operation they were affilliated with NBC. In January 1949, they became a primary CBS affilliate. Two local shows I remember were Popeye's Playhouse with Captain Mike Marion and Buttons the Cabin Boy and Meet The Millers. During summer vacation I always watched Popeye at 9am weekdays. My mom would always watch the Millers at 1pm for new recipes and cooking tips.

I remember Santa’s Workshop with “Forgetful” the elf was shown during December. Maybe in Captain Mike’s slot.

May 14, 2023 7:56 pm  #4

mace wrote:

Here's more on Uncle Mike Mearian:

For the Kiddos

Hamiltonboy wrote:

I remember Santa’s Workshop with “Forgetful” the elf was shown during December. Maybe in Captain Mike’s slot.

Remembering WBEN-TV’s Visit With Santa (And Forgetful the Elf)

As far as I know, no audio of the show actually exists, but there is grainy video of it. And yes, Forgetful is in it.