sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 6, 2023 9:59 pm  #1

The Longest & Most Unnecessary "Pre-Game" On TV

And no, I'm not talking about Saturday's way-too-early-in-the-morning crowning of King Charles. (Did it take place on Coronation Street?) That coverage started at 4 AM and went on until 10 AM, but at least things were going on all that time.

My reference is to the almost unbelievable amount of time NBC gave to the Kentucky Derby on Saturday afternoon. It was absolutely stunning. The annual event, which is one of the most famous in all of horse racing, is important. But their coverage went on - and I'm not kidding - 7 hours straight! 7 HOURS! For a race that lasts about 2 minutes in total and doesn't happen until around 6:50 PM.  

The pre-game, as it were, started at 12 noon and the broadcast finally ended at 7 o'clock. I know the Super Bowl has a long pre-game as well, but at least the final contest is three hours long or more.

While I'm sure NBC sold out all its inventory and made a lot of money off the day-long event, to me, that was just ridiculous over-kill.

May 6, 2023 10:38 pm  #2

Re: The Longest & Most Unnecessary "Pre-Game" On TV

Last year NBC had five and a half hours of coverage for the Kentucky Derby and TSN4 had over 7 hours.  Today TSN had nothing, either did CTV.  Looks like no Canadian network covered the derby at all this year.

TSN had some of their own pre race coverage last year.  Wonder what happened?  Must admit the race seemed a bit of a non-event this year.  Forgot it was even on today. 

May 6, 2023 11:04 pm  #3

To be fair, I believe there were a few races at Churchill Downs Saturday prior to the Derby. But I don't know if NBC even bothered to carry them. I'm almost positive if it wasn't the Kentucky Derby, NBC wouldn't have bothered with any of them. I almost wish I would have watched some of it, if only to see what, exactly, they did to use up all that air time. 

I would have been out of things to say in the first hour, let alone 7 of them. 

And yes, I also noticed there were no Canadian stations taking it. I guess they didn't have the time to give up for that long. 

May 7, 2023 2:31 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

To be fair, I believe there were a few races at Churchill Downs Saturday prior to the Derby. But I don't know if NBC even bothered to carry them. I'm almost positive if it wasn't the Kentucky Derby, NBC wouldn't have bothered with any of them. I almost wish I would have watched some of it, if only to see what, exactly, they did to use up all that air time. 

I would have been out of things to say in the first hour, let alone 7 of them. 

And yes, I also noticed there were no Canadian stations taking it. I guess they didn't have the time to give up for that long. 

This was covered last year I believe, and again there were 14 races on the card and again all of the important ones were televised.  There is a story behind every horse that involves dozens of people, from average Joes to some almost cartoonish characters.  Also, several horses died at the track this week, once again prompting calls for accountability and increased safety measures for the horses.  As a result, more horses than usual were scratched for the derby because no one wanted to risk injuries or deaths.  So why doesn't that level of caution happen every year?  All of those storylines were covered, and there were swings in the betting line as the day went on. It's actually quite compelling.  You should have watched it instead of complaining while admitting to not knowing much about it.  TSN probably didn't cover it because this year the main NBC network had most of it, which would take about 50 percent of the audience away from TSN.  In previous years, the now defunct (and unavailable in Canada) NBC Sports Network used to carry much of the day because the main network had the NHL obligations, so TSN had the entire audince for the majority of the day.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (May 7, 2023 2:34 am)

May 7, 2023 11:49 am  #5

Finally!  Someone finally mentions the coronation coverage, at least in passing.
I thought you guys would be crapping all over it. I called that one wrong.  Good thing I hadn't posted any online bets. 

May 7, 2023 12:03 pm  #6

By the way, I heard CBC Radio's 11 o'clock news last night, read by Claude Feig, and there was not a word about the coronation, proving that the rest of the world did not stand still all day.