sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 5, 2023 11:41 am  #1

Huh? Why We're All Watching TV With Subtitles On

I have the CC on a lot when I watch TV, but it's not because I'm hard of hearing (although all those years in radio probably didn't do my eardrums any good!) but because I got so used to it when I was caring for my elderly mother, who didn't hear well, that I now can't be without it. 

This article has a bit of irony attached to it - it's from Ireland and some of the UK-made TV shows I watch almost require closed captioning or you can't understand some of the dialogue. The piece even mentions Doctor Who, which I find I can't watch without the subtitles.  

And here's a surprise - according to Netflix, the demo using CC the most turns out to be those aged 18-24, even more than seniors. 

"Looking at why people might choose to use subtitles, 66% of the people surveyed use subtitles to better understand the storyline, while 40% of people said using captions helps them improve their concentration, and this was more common in younger audiences. A Vox poll found a lot of people feel they simply can’t understand what’s being said."

I've noted here before there are other great reasons to use the CC. A song playing in the soundtrack will often be identified in the captions and you won't see that if it's off. And occasionally you'll hear dialogue that's obviously been changed at some point from what it was in the beginning. It's always interesting to see what was altered and wonder why they made that decision.

Bad music mixes sometimes tend to drown out what's being said.

And if you're in a room with other people and there's a lot of noise, it's the easiest way to follow the show. It does take some getting used to, but once you do, you may find you miss it when it's not there. 

Huh? Why We're All Watching TV With Subtitles On

May 5, 2023 4:38 pm  #2

Re: Huh? Why We're All Watching TV With Subtitles On

I'm a bit hard of hearing and use CC all the time.

I could probably get by pretty well without them, but the sound level in a lot of programs seems to swing wildly from "a whisper to a scream", so to speak. 

Out of respect for my neighbours, I keep the volume down a bit so I can pick up the dialogue without having the volume too high.

May 5, 2023 5:13 pm  #3

If you have streaming services like Britbox or Acorn you can find some British or Irish or Welsh shows where you really need subtitles even though they are speaking English, but dialects can be thick.
One of my favourite shows on Acorn is the New Zealand show "Brokenwood."
They speak so fluidly with kiwi accents that you often need CC to pick it all up.
The main character for instance is Inspector Mike Sheppard (pronounced by the characters as MYK SHEEPID.
They also mix in kiwi slang which makes things even more incomprehensible.

Last edited by newsguy1 (May 5, 2023 9:36 pm)

May 5, 2023 8:04 pm  #4

I subscribe to Disney+ and use it heavily. The subtitles are turned on by default, and while I had been turning them off, they kept turning back on every time I opened the app. I gave up.

May 6, 2023 11:38 am  #5

Loud music, mumbling, rapid fire dialogue and technobabble or unfamiliar terms. I tend to leave the captions on these days just so I can read them in case the dialogue isn't clearly audible or I miss something.

Last edited by Hansa (May 6, 2023 11:39 am)

May 6, 2023 1:45 pm  #6

Hansa wrote:

Loud music, mumbling, rapid fire dialogue and technobabble or unfamiliar terms. I tend to leave the captions on these days just so I can read them in case the dialogue isn't clearly audible or I miss something.

We had trouble making out dialogue masked by the sound effects. After much research on-line, I came to the conclusion that the sound was tailored for a multispeaker sound set-up. Moving our sound bar to the offending TV helped mitigate the problem. Why can't the sound be engineered for plain TVs. Not everyone wants to invest in a separate sound bar; which always needs a more advanced level of knowledge to properly set-up. It reminds me of the tale of the record producer who always checked his final mix through a $5 speaker before pressing. Of course, we still use subtitles for the fast flowing international TV for the reasons mentioned above.