sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 27, 2023 11:08 am  #1

Is This Story About AM Radio In Brazil True? Could It Happen Here?

RadioInk, the online site dedicated to the medium, has been closely following the controversy over the abandonment of AM radio in EVs and other cars, despite protests from broadcasters and politicians. In a recent page featuring letters reacting to the quickly changing radio landscape, it published this from one person opposed to the idea of letting the band die.

“Thousands of AM broadcasters are more worth saving than 2 dozen VHF TV stations on Ch 5 & 6 with no viable consumer receive antennas. It’s time for the US to do as Brazil and start a long-term transition of AM broadcast stations to 76~88 MHz.”

Is this true? Has Brazil sent all its AM stations to the unused top of the FM band? Is that something we could do here with some adjustments? A lot of that spectrum space is already taken up with existing FM stations in North America, so I'm not sure we could actually do this here or whether there would be enough space to save them all.

And could any radio even get the stations if they did such a conversion? My Sangean, for instance, starts at 87.5 on FM and the first real station is Indie88.1, so there is some space. Although there's no way on my gear to tune in the 76-86 MHz range. I'm not sure, but didn't they give some of that spectrum over for cell phone use? Is this even feasible?

I'd love to hear a plan to save AM stations, if not the band they're on. But it has to be one that would work. I'm not sure this one would. But it's an interesting idea.

April 27, 2023 11:17 am  #2

Re: Is This Story About AM Radio In Brazil True? Could It Happen Here?

I dot think you can save AM radio until it decides to save itself. We have a new generation of non listeners growing up. Sadly, I think AM is going the way of sheet music of God Save The Queen. 

April 27, 2023 11:37 am  #3

And yet, a new Edison Research study shows Gen-Z is actually listening to the radio more than was believed, at least in the car- although it's primarily FM not AM. Even many of those using devices to listen online, say they're tuning in an actual over-the-air radio station. So maybe those stations are worth saving, if they could just get the ear of a younger audience on a different band. 

Edison Research Gen-Z Radio Study

April 27, 2023 11:46 am  #4

87.5 is theoretically useable, but undesirable as many radios start at 87.7 or 87.9

Anything else would require new radios and that's a non-starter.

April 27, 2023 11:48 am  #5

That was my fear, as well. How they did it in Brazil - and whether it worked - is anyone's guess. 

April 28, 2023 11:51 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

And yet, a new Edison Research study shows Gen-Z is actually listening to the radio more than was believed, at least in the car- although it's primarily FM not AM. Even many of those using devices to listen online, say they're tuning in an actual over-the-air radio station. So maybe those stations are worth saving, if they could just get the ear of a younger audience on a different band. 

Edison Research Gen-Z Radio Study

I would be in the 55+ category [65+ actually] and all the reasons given for listening to AM/FM in my vehicle would definitely apply to me. I can add one more. I still enjoy DXing.