sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 5, 2023 4:07 pm  #1

97 Rock is looking for a new midday host

I'm not sure what the details are, but JP(who had been doing the 10am-3pm shift)has exited 50 James E. Casey Drive.

April 5, 2023 4:28 pm  #2

Re: 97 Rock is looking for a new midday host

Here's the ad they placed letting people know the slot was open. For some reason, it ends with this sentence:

"If you are the best at what you do and are willing to swear off ranch dressing, reach out, because this gig won’t be open long."

Sorry ranch dressing fans.

97 Rock Middays Open

April 5, 2023 10:41 pm  #3

I’m a friend of JP’s and he has left 97 Rock to do a wonderful thing - care for his aging parents!    JP is a really great guy and if he wants to get back on-air again then I’m sure he’ll have some decent offers.

April 6, 2023 7:54 am  #4

My two favourite jocks there. JP and Slick Tom.

April 6, 2023 9:14 pm  #5

djwildbill wrote:

I’m a friend of JP’s and he has left 97 Rock to do a wonderful thing - care for his aging parents! JP is a really great guy and if he wants to get back on-air again then I’m sure he’ll have some decent offers.

It should be noted that, reportedly, Cumulus put an end to the work-from-home options for all employees-requiring them to return to the office. As you mentioned, JP is the primary caregiver for his parents and he doesn't want to run the risk of getting them sick(he had a bout of COVID some time ago-and quite a few Cumulus employees have come down with it. Shredd & Ragan are the most notable ones). He had been doing his midday shift from home and he was still doing it well. JP noted that he hopes to be back on the air soon. (The Buffalo News did a story on JP's exit from 97 Rock.)

April 7, 2023 7:20 pm  #6

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

April 13, 2023 8:20 pm  #7

Paul Jeffries wrote:

Looks like he found a new home already.

Ability to work from home lures JP from 97 Rock to WECK for midday shift

PJ

Or HAS he? The Buffalo Radio Discussions board notes that-apparently-JP apparently butted heads with WECK owner Buddy Shula. Apparently, he wanted to dump the Sunday morning polka show in order to do Breakfast with the Beatles; Shula wasn't amenable to that(since it pulls in a decent amount of revenue for the station), but he and JP are still on good terms. 

April 14, 2023 1:07 pm  #8

ckg927 wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

Looks like he found a new home already.

Ability to work from home lures JP from 97 Rock to WECK for midday shift

PJ

Or HAS he? The Buffalo Radio Discussions board notes that-apparently-JP apparently butted heads with WECK owner Buddy Shula. Apparently, he wanted to dump the Sunday morning polka show in order to do Breakfast with the Beatles; Shula wasn't amenable to that(since it pulls in a decent amount of revenue for the station), but he and JP are still on good terms.

He doesn't confirm the reasons, but JP admit his days with WECK are over before they started.

From the Buffalo News:

Radio host JP says he isn't going to WECK after all

Alternate link:
https://clearthis.page/?u=https://buffalonews.com/news/local/alan-pergament-radio-host-jp-says-he-isnt-going-to-weck-after-all/article_f7f3324e-dabf-11ed-86eb-2372aa6d1d5d.html

April 26, 2023 11:25 am  #9

Well, that was quick. It now appears JP will be on WECK after all. What a weird story that could only happen in radio. To make it even more bizarre, he'll not only be allowed to do the show from home - but it will run 7 hours!

JP starts on WECK Monday after all

Alternate link:
https://clearthis.page/?u=https://buffalonews.com/entertainment/music/alan-pergament-jp-starts-on-weck-monday-after-all-jennifer-stanonis-rejoins-wgrz-tv/article_b2f539ae-e42d-11ed-9f62-2f4fd1899b4d.html