sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 14, 2023 11:15 am  #1

"Trying Too Hard to Make CBC the Enemy"

From page A10 of the April 13/23 issue of Toronto Star newspaper...

The online headline differs from the printed...
"Why CBC isn’t the enemy — no matter what Pierre
Poilievre and Elon Musk may think"

https://archive.ph/cgdkv

April 14, 2023 12:45 pm  #2

Re: "Trying Too Hard to Make CBC the Enemy"

There is a lot to find fault with the CBC.  But the enemy of Canadians?  Please.  Why are political parties so poor at marketing themselves and talking about things that people are actually interested in?  Conservatives, Liberals and NDP are all guilty of this and all three are becoming unrelatable to many people. Maybe this helps to explain the poor voter turn outs over the past five or six years?

April 14, 2023 2:38 pm  #3

Poilievre seems to think the best way to win an election is by appealing to his base (or at least the part of his base that thinks Rebel News is credible). 

April 14, 2023 8:01 pm  #4

For some weird reason I keep getting Keean Bexte tweets on my phone every day.
He's the not so crypto white supremacist with The Rebel.
All of his tweets are accompanied by a small waving Russian flag.

April 16, 2023 2:04 am  #5

I'm already sick of the guy.  Poilievre implies that Trudeau has committed treason and that the CBC is an enemy of Canadians.  These are things that everyone except the far right know aren't true.  And they know that Poilievre knows they aren't true.
How many Canadians are going to vote to for someone that spews complete nonsense, especially when he himself knows it's nonsense.  Tom Mulcair bitched and yelled non-stop that the sky was falling for years and where did it get him?  Two jobs as a pundit after driving away every new voter Jack Layton managed to pull in.  Canadians don't vote for non-stop negativity in federal politics.  

April 16, 2023 6:18 am  #6

Tommy - I have an answer to your question of how many Canadians are going to vote to for someone that spews complete nonsense, especially when he himself knows it's nonsense.
I think many will.....
The proof is the spewer of complete nonsense/lies of the current Prime 
Minister 

April 17, 2023 9:24 am  #7

As someone who in the past who has only ever been a member of the Conservative Party or PC Party.  Poilievre has totally lost me.  In fact I would actively work to see the Conservatives defeated in the next election rather than see this DipS!@# become prime minister.  He thinks he is being clever, but he comes across as a teenager who thinks fart jokes are still funny.

April 17, 2023 9:35 pm  #8

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Canadians don't vote for non-stop negativity in federal politics.  

Usually not - but then again Stephen Harper was not exactly Mr. Happy Sunshine. 

April 18, 2023 10:23 am  #9

Over the years I have voted Conservative as often as Liberal.  The other day I had a call from the Conservatives asking for my opinion on the party and the leader.

I mentioned that Poilievre makes some good points with some credible ideas, but i didn't like the way he avoids certain media outlets.  He never does interviews with CBC, Global, even CTV and I am 100% disagreement with defunding CBC.

Interesting since the personable fellow at the other end started very upbeat and positive when he called, but at the end he just listened to what I had to say, thanked me and that was it.  Got the feeling it wasn't the first time he heard these concerns that day.

Still maintain there are a lot of Conservatives (mostly older) that like and rely on CBC.  And thousands of soft Liberals who don't want to vote for Trudeau and would move their vote. However Poilievre's US campaign style, negativity and certain positions like CBC defunding makes it very hard to vote for him.

The Conservatives could end up giving the Liberals another minority unless they smarten up.  Probably won't happen now since twitter is messing around with what to call CBC and the leader feels he is on the right track given Elon's "blessing." How exactly do you defund CBC TV and radio but leave Radio/Canada alone?

Poilievre should skip the Conservative Election Handbook chapter on "Snatching Defeat From The Jaws of Victory" since he seems to be already headed that way. 

April 18, 2023 2:55 pm  #10

An interesting alternate take on this story from someone who's neither Liberal nor Conservative. 

Tom Mulcair: Why all the fuss about Twitter's description of CBC?

April 23, 2023 9:38 am  #11

Hansa wrote:

Poilievre seems to think the best way to win an election is by appealing to his base (or at least the part of his base that thinks Rebel News is credible). 

Agreed. Poilievre has proven his shallowness of hitching his wagon to whatever he thinks might appeal to his base, such as sucking up/photo-ops with the so-called “Freedom Convoy”, crypto currencies, plus kicking the CBC in the teeth just to mention a few. I wait for him to come up with something positive as all he seems to do is whine. This guy makes Andrew Scheer seem electable…!