sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 12, 2023 1:19 pm  #1

Twitter Labels NPR As State Affiliated Media, NPR Says Goodbye

Twitter recently labelled National Public Radio in the US as "state affiliated media".  NPR says they are independent from any political or government affiliation and have cancelled their twitter account.  From CBC news...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/npr-twitter-social-media-label-1.6807844 

April 12, 2023 8:30 pm  #2

Re: Twitter Labels NPR As State Affiliated Media, NPR Says Goodbye

More will follow this lead. The alternate path that Twitter is taking is certain in its outcome, and it's fascinating to watch.

April 13, 2023 8:24 am  #3

Will they also start labeling media by their corporate ownership?

April 13, 2023 9:10 am  #4

I can see putting a label on something like RT... but NPR with only 1% of grants coming from the us government, it feels a little heavy handed by Twitter to discredit.  If it was state run, they would never state anything against Trump which they have many times during his leadership.    NPR is nothing but a public broadcaster that runs as a non-profit. Has their own board, and zero control from any government agency. 

April 13, 2023 9:22 am  #5

BBC interviewed Elon Musk a few days ago.  The owner of Twitter had recently changed BBC's handle on the social site to "government funded".  During the interview he mentions that he is thinking of changing the description to "publicly funded" since he respects BBC....More from BBC.. ..https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65251160

April 13, 2023 2:03 pm  #6

At least one NPR member station has also left Twitter now - KUOW in Seattle. In a statement:

We believe Twitter’s false, misleading and inconsistent application of labels undermines the platform’s credibility. We are worried that our continued engagement on this platform will erode public trust. So, we’re following NPR’s lead. As of today, KUOW has made the decision to indefinitely pause activity on Twitter.

For now, looks like WBFO Buffalo is staying put on Twitter.

EDIT: Looks like some other NPR stations have joined the Twitter exodus, including Texas Public Radio in San Antonio.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (April 14, 2023 12:56 pm)

April 16, 2023 11:16 pm  #7

Twitter has just labelled CBC as "government funded media."  More detail from CBC.ca
Some of the comments after the article are interesting...https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/cbc-government-funded-media-twitter-1.6812591

April 16, 2023 11:20 pm  #8

Much as I'm not a fan of government funding of media, it's getting harder and harder to take the Musk-owned Twitter seriously. From the Canadian Press story on the new CBC branding: 

"The Canadian Press emailed Twitter asking for an explanation of the added tag, and the company responded with a poop emoji."

Immature and embarrassing.

April 17, 2023 7:46 am  #9

Musk is an excellent example of what happens when a 12 year old gets a billion dollars.

April 17, 2023 9:31 am  #10

Musk is the reason that when I used twitter, I blocked him.  The reason I have essentially stopped using twitter and the reason I will never buy a Tesla.  He is also the reason why I hope Space weather will bring down all the starlink satellites so that our night sky won't be polluted by his junky satellite netork.  The sooner that all his ventures crash and burn the better off the world will be.

April 17, 2023 4:47 pm  #11

To no one's surprise, CBC has said it is "pausing" its use of Twitter. It's not clear how long that pause might last or if they might turn to an alternate in the meantime.

CBC says it is 'pausing' its use of Twitter after 'government-funded media' label applied

April 17, 2023 5:36 pm  #12

I quit Twitter a while ago. They limited my account a few times when I follow a lot of people, artists etc.

April 17, 2023 6:01 pm  #13

And the National Post has 5, that's right, 5 CBC related stories on the front page of their website this evening.  They also have an article regarding a new FOX Nation Tucker Carlson doc on whether the US should liberate Canada from Trudeau.

Tucker likes to compare Canada to North Korea and Russia and Justin Trudeau to Fidel Castro.   They have been hyping this new documentary on Fox News Network, but you need to subscribe to Fox Nation to see it.  Americans can subscribe to Fox Nation for only $4.99 per month!  This service is not available outside of the US.  

Really nice to see where the "government propaganda"  is really coming from.  

Last edited by paterson1 (April 17, 2023 9:11 pm)

April 17, 2023 8:19 pm  #14

Elon Musk has finally responded via a tweet to reporter questions about the decision to list the CBC as government funded, instead of just sending out an automated poop emoji. Although I'm not sure his answer will please anyone. 

"Just trying to be accurate. Would they be ok if we said 70% govt funded?" 

April 17, 2023 10:44 pm  #15

Imagine Elon will be upset with Friday's description of him as "American" Imagine he still has his Canadian passpor, two Canadian ex-wife and his time at Queens and the family farm in Saskatchewan. Pass the popcorn. Grandfather even ran against !Mackenzie King in 194.

April 21, 2023 7:11 am  #16

Turns out the entire controversy may have been very short lived.

Elon Musk's Twitter drops government-funded media labels

April 21, 2023 7:38 am  #17

Elon is just like Trump.  All of this was to keep his name and twitter in the news.  And his plan worked well.