sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 4, 2023 7:19 pm  #1

The Trouble with Tracy

It's finally happened. Somone has put complete episodes of The Trouble with Tracy up on YouTube. 

April 4, 2023 7:40 pm  #2

Re: The Trouble with Tracy

Wow, amazing. I'd heard almost all the complete episodes had been erased. Quite a find!

This is generally considered perhaps the cheapest and worst Canadian TV show ever aired. When they made a mistake, they often just left it in, because they didn't want to have to start reshooting and waste videotape and studio time. 

And what odd casting. Diane Nyland, in addition to being a fairly decent actress, was actually an accomplished ballerina and, according to her obit, an "award winning director-choreographer." I don't think this was her proudest moment. It also says she was married to "radio personality" Frank Proctor - would that be the same guy you hear on AM740? 

Steve Weston was also said to have had a fine acting career, once you get past this disaster. He died after falling off a roof. 

I'm sure paterson1 will have something to say about this, but this show was one of the reasons I've always had a bad impression about CanCon. I will admit things have vastly improved since the early 1970s when this was on. Yet, inexplicably, my brothers and I always watched it. Seems odd. Or in the words of one of the show's old catchphrases, "Doesn't it to you?"

April 4, 2023 7:50 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

Inexplicably, my brothers and I always watched it. Seems odd. Or in the words of one of the show's old catchphrases, "Doesn't it to you?"

Admittedly, Tracy was kind of hot. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

April 4, 2023 9:07 pm  #4

I watched that show every day myself. Although I could tell that it wasn't of great quality even at the age of 10, tv reception at my house wasn't good before cable because of us being near the Gatineau hydro corridor -- and so CFTO was the only channel that came in clearly for us. But I liked both Nyland and Weston, and wasn't surprised to find out later that they were both talented actors trapped in a bad show. And yes, her husband was indeed AM740's Frank Proctor.

April 4, 2023 10:25 pm  #5

WOW! That was a great show! Time for a reboot! 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 5, 2023 10:18 am  #6

IMO, the biggest problem with the Trouble With Tracy was the actual scripts.  Even in 1970/71 these old time radio stories were very dated, and the 1930's/40's New York humour didn't travel well.  There was an  attempt to update the characters and include Tracy's hippie brother in shows. But the actual scripts were the original words written by Goodman Ace from 1930 to 1945 for the radio program Easy Aces.

The sets while sort of cheap looking were adequate, and the acting was stilted partially because of the weak humour in the copy.  The program had and continues to have a cult following apparently. 

Another issue was CTV itself.  The network had flirted with bankruptcy a few times and had no choice but to run all 130 episodes to recoup some of the money.  Actually the show was quite expensive and a big risk for a network like CTV.  Trouble With Tracy ran 5 days a week for 26 weeks and was repeated various times through the years. The repeats were cancon filler in off hours, but also the program as mentioned did have a certain cult popularity with viewers.

Normally a show like this with poor reviews and ratings would have been cancelled after only a few airings.  This has happened various times with all of the the US networks when a show only airs a handful of times and then is scrapped.  CTV didn't have that option and needed to try and get some of it's money back from the production.  This made The Trouble With Tracy an even longer toothache and more memorable in how poor the show was.  Had it been cancelled after one week, nobody would have remembered it decades later.   

Last edited by paterson1 (April 5, 2023 10:35 am)

April 5, 2023 10:30 am  #7

One slight correction: His name was Goodman Ace, not Ace Goodman. He and his wife were in a show called "The Easy Aces" in the so-called Golden Age of Radio. 

April 5, 2023 12:45 pm  #8

It's rather amazing CTV would take on such a big commitment and then try to save money by using second hand scripts instead of hiring writers.

CHCH was much more successful with Hilarious House of Frightenstein which was also made on the mass production model (filming 100+ episodes over several months for use in daily syndication) - difference being HHOF had writers and the comedic brilliance of Billy Van.

You can get away with cheap production values if you have good writing and talent but you can have great production values and a lemon if the writing isn't there.

Last edited by Hansa (April 5, 2023 12:48 pm)

April 5, 2023 12:56 pm  #9

Hansa wrote:

You can get away with cheap production values if you have good writing and talent but you can have great production values and a lemon if the writing isn't there.

You are so right. As a perfect example, you could point to SCTV when it was just starting out in Edmonton. Cheap sets, no budget and it was still fantastic, thanks to an amazing cast and great writing. In fact, because it was supposed to take place at an el cheapo TV station, that only added to the reality. 

April 5, 2023 1:30 pm  #10

130 episodes of Trouble with Tracy were produced in a matter of months (6 episodes a week, apparently) on a shoestring budget by CFTO in 1970 with the intent of running them daily and selling them throughout North America for syndication.

130 episodes of Hilarious House of Frightensten were produced in a matter of months by CHCH in 1971 on a shoestring budget  with the intent of running them daily and selling them throughout North America for syndication.

CFTO had to keep running the show daily into the early 80s in order to recoup their costs - but were not able to sell it to the US (AFAIK) and only had limited sales in Canada and has long been regarded as an embarassment. 

HHOF also was a daily staple on CHCH into the 1980s - but was a hit among children and teens (don't know the ratings but I suspect they were good) and the show was sold throughout Canada and the US and became a cult favourite and was even streamed by Crave last year. It probably would still be on TV today had it not been for the unfortuante decision by its producers not to bother getting lincensing for the music in the popular "Wolfman" segments - they might have been able to convince record companies in 1971 to give permission due to the promotional value of airplay, had they asked - but getting the music licensed today would be prohibitively expensive. 

Must have been galling for the mighty CFTO and CTV to be outclassed by an independent station based in Hamilton. 

Last edited by Hansa (April 5, 2023 1:32 pm)

April 5, 2023 1:37 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

Hansa wrote:

You are so right. As a perfect example, you could point to SCTV when it was just starting out in Edmonton. Cheap sets, no budget and it was still fantastic, thanks to an amazing cast and great writing. In fact, because it was supposed to take place at an el cheapo TV station, that only added to the reality. 

Actually SCTV started out on Global in Toronto, 1976-79 with the cheap sets and low budgets.  When it moved out to Edmonton in 1980 budgets were much better with ITV and CBC followed by NBC in 1981.  But you are right, a show can have a low budget, made with little resources and still be superb with great acting and writing. 

Both Hilarious House and Tracy were cheap as compared to a US network production, but for CTV and CHCH they were major investments since both programs had more elaborate and varied sets and were on 5 days a week.  Particularly HH of Frightenstein running one hour per episode was very ambitious for a local television station. Frightenstein is available on Tubi and Crave.  

Too bad not many episodes of CHCH's Party Game are available.  A show that was on 11 years, syndicated to 32 markets and  popular in the day.  A lot of people didn't get the show but those that did really liked it.  Party Game would be a perfect program for Game TV, Pluto TV, or even CHCH during their retro segment.  But not many episodes survived apparantly.

Last edited by paterson1 (April 5, 2023 5:01 pm)

April 5, 2023 2:30 pm  #12

You and I have clashed before on Party Game, which I put on the same level as "Tracy" in terms of cheap CanCon programming, but I can't deny it was popular. I'll just never understand why.

Anyway, you're right that there are only few episodes of it left and I'm not sure any are complete. Here are a couple of snippets from YouTube, which unfortunately can't be displayed here but are at the links below. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRRw7CUcBI0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcJ4PSOmfh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcJ4PSOmfh4

April 5, 2023 2:52 pm  #13

Back in the day, for some of the studio crew members at CFTO being assigned or having to work on "The Trouble with Tracy" was seen as a "punishment" ... And this is the show where "Intercom Battleship" was created... it was seen as a way to pass the time during blocking/run troughs... just use a secondary P/L on the intercom and pass the time with other bored crew members....

Fun to see scenes with Ben and Sylvia Lennick with some of the episodes posted above (parents of former board member David Lennick and brother Michael "All Night Show Leonard the cameraman")
The Lennick's were regular cast members for many of the Wayne and Shuster shows on CBC as well.

I don't know if CTV suffered much with "The Trouble with Tracy"  This was 1970, and CTV needed programming for the afternoon day part. And the fact that it qualified as CAN CON can't be forgotten either.
If anything, I think National General Television would have stood to loose more, but I'm not sure...

Also, not seen in the episodes above was another series regular and Canadian icon Barbara Hamilton, who played the character of Tracy's mother.

Hilarious House at CHCH was a different production, and was approached differently.  As everyone knows, Billy Van played the majority of the main characters, The Count, Grizelda, The Wolfman, etc.and each character had elaborate makeup and costume requirements. The sets were also specific to the individual character segments, so the series was shot entirely out of sequence over 9 to 10 months, and then edited into the finished shows. 

CHCH would regularly take an equity position in the overall cost of a co-production in the form of technical and production facilities / crew for a per-determined run or rights licence.  .

April 5, 2023 3:05 pm  #14

Yes, Frank Proctor currently at AM 740 was indeed her husband; in real life.

Last edited by John D (April 5, 2023 3:05 pm)

April 5, 2023 6:56 pm  #15

The theme song is probably forever engrained in the minds of most Canadians over the age of 50. Much like the theme to "Definition", Quincy Jones' "Soul Bossa Nova". Apparently Mike Myers chose the latter for his Austin Powers movies as well because of that recognizability factor, at least with Canadians of a certain age.

For some of the younger members of this board who haven't seen Definition, it was kind of like Wheel of Fortune without the wheel. And the fortune.

PJ

April 5, 2023 7:04 pm  #16

April 5, 2023 7:10 pm  #17

Remember another CFTO staple... " Eye Bet"  it was actually very good, they played a short segment from old movie reels, and then the contestants had to recall something unique and specific about the clip they just viewed...  "Q:  On the end table at the side of the couch, were there one or two wine glasses?"

Eye Bet had a relatively short run, due to the use of the various film clips not being cleared for TV broadcast.

Contestants could win Z-Brick imitation wall covering....  

We had a math teacher who appeared as a contestant on "Definition".  He was a great teacher, but a terrible player of the game. He lasted one or two rounds, and was eliminated.  He told us that about 2 or 3 months after the airing of the episode that he appeared in, he received his consolation prizes.  He said his wife would never have to buy pantyhose again, as their was this large box of Leggs Pantyhose... he figured it was like a lifetime supply!  

Last edited by Glen Warren (April 5, 2023 7:12 pm)

April 5, 2023 7:14 pm  #18

"Headline Hunters" was also another show...  again, hosted by Jim Perry.
It aired on a weeknight, and iirc, was part of the CTV evening schedule.

April 5, 2023 7:20 pm  #19

I seem to remember some of the earlier episodes of Definition had a woman dancing in the background in silhouette during the theme music.

PJ

April 5, 2023 7:27 pm  #20

Glen Warren wrote:

We had a math teacher who appeared as a contestant on "Definition".  He was a great teacher, but a terrible player of the game. He lasted one or two rounds, and was eliminated.  He told us that about 2 or 3 months after the airing of the episode that he appeared in, he received his consolation prizes.  He said his wife would never have to buy pantyhose again, as their was this large box of Leggs Pantyhose... he figured it was like a lifetime supply!  

I think the grand prizes were pretty much on the same level as the consolation prizes on that show. 

PJ

April 5, 2023 7:39 pm  #21

Yes, the model was in front of the blue cyc, dancing away with her arms stretched up high, in an evening gown...

Definition also received numerous definition suggestions for consideration from at home viewers...

Producer/Director Michael Hooey thought that they could have created an adult/late night version of the show with the number of double entendre suggestions that were regularly submitted.

April 5, 2023 8:34 pm  #22

Does anybody remember the Canadian game show "Pitfall" from the early '80s? It was hosted by Alex Trebek, a few years before he started his Jeopardy! run. I remember it being touted as one of the first Canadian game shows that gave out prizes that were on a par with its U.S. counterparts (or at least approaching that). Which sounded impressive, until it was revealed that the company producing the show, Catalena Productions, went bankrupt even before Pitfall made it to air. The company had previously produced a revival of Let's Make a Deal, and were sued by Monty Hall and Stefan Hatos for nonpayment for their producer duties on that show. As a result, many (if not all) of the contestants on Pitfall never ended up getting their cash or merchandise prizes. According to Wikipedia, Alex Trebek only ended up getting half of his promised salary for hosting the show. Trebek had reportedly framed a bounced cheque for $49,000 from the company and hung it up on the wall in his home.

Pitfall - Wikipedia

PJ

April 7, 2023 12:42 pm  #23

If you want to get your Cancon gameshow fix (including Pitfall, Acting Crazy, Definition, and my faves, The Mad Dash and Test Pattern), check out BonusRound.ca.
For 2 bucks a month (an amazing deal), there are tonnes (metric) of Canadian game shows to stream!
(Note that this is an unpaid plug for this amazing streaming service!)

Davester.

April 9, 2023 7:22 am  #24

Speaking of The Trouble With Tracy, there's another infamous Canadian show that's getting something of a recall - although not exactly a reboot. A production company has acquired the rights to the life story of George Kresge. Who's that? If you could read my mind (it's light reading!) you'd know him by his stage moniker - The Amazing Kreskin. 

His career, which he described as a "Mentalist," aired for years on CTV. The documentary, which is being done by the same people who brought you CBC's Harold Ballard's story last year, is due to be ready for 2024. No word yet on where it can be seen. 

But if you're a fan of Kreskin, who is still alive at age 88, you probably should be able to divine the answer well in advance!

By the way, when Kreskin predicted a UFO sighting over Las Vegas or he'd donate $50,000 to charity - and it didn't happen - he went on Art Bell's show. But when Kreskin demurred from paying the money with a pretty flimsy excuse, he was banned from the syndicated show for good, after an angry Bell confronted him on air to explain his failure. Call it "The Trouble With Kreskin."

April 9, 2023 11:39 am  #25

As a west coast kid, it was great to see Tracy showing at 7am. We who were up at that ungodly hour were thrilled to find something other than current affairs to watch and make fun of...come on, it was THAT bad!

April 11, 2023 10:58 pm  #26

Some more on the Pitfall story...

PJ

April 17, 2023 10:21 pm  #27

"Trouble With Tracy" had a brief run on WOR, the independent station in New Jersey, for a couple of months inn1971. Supposedly, if it went well, there were going to be another 60+ episodes produced to allow a full 39 week/ 5 day per week run. It didn't go over well in the NYC market, I gather.

April 17, 2023 10:29 pm  #28

[img]https://www.newspapers.com/clip/123070689/trouble-with-tracy-1971-wor/[img]

Last edited by Bill101 (April 17, 2023 10:34 pm)