sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2023 8:16 pm  #1

MAD Magazine's Last Surviving Original Artist Dies At 102

If you read MAD Magazine in the 1960s or 70s, you've seen and read his work. Al Jaffee was the last surviving member of the original Alfred E. Neuman-led satirical rag, which skewered everything from politicians to movies and TV shows. 

Jaffee was famous for his covers and his articles, but most especially his artwork. Which, in one case, could also be called his works of art. It was Jaffe who came up with the infamous "Fold-Ins," that appeared on the last page of the publication every month. 

He had an absolutely phenomenal career and one of the longest on record. He died this week at 102, after having retired at the tender age of 99! Talk about "drawing" to a close!

Al Jaffee, longtime 'Mad Magazine' cartoonist, dies at 102

His final fold-in, created in 2014 but saved until he left in June of 2020, was especially appropriate. 

April 11, 2023 7:04 am  #2

Re: MAD Magazine's Last Surviving Original Artist Dies At 102

Sad news. I used to try and do the fold-ins without creasing the page, didn’t work as well! This past Christmas my wife gave me the Mad magazine Stocking Stuffer, it was quite a blast from the past! Thanks for sharing RA.

April 11, 2023 8:43 am  #3

Some Mad Magazine trivia tidbits for you. It began in a comic book format in October 1952. The switch to a magazine style happened in July 1955. Spy vs Spy arrived in 1961, the fold-in page in 1964 as an answer to Playboy's fold-out. Alfred E. Neuman made his first appearance in Nov 1954. However, the magazine portrait most of us remember was first used in 1956 as a supposed write-in candidate for that year's presidency. Neuman briefly had a girlfriend in the late 1950's named Moxie Cowznofski. In 1959, MAD released a 45 entitled "What - Me Worry?" on the ABC/Paramount label featuring "Alfred E.Neuman and the Furshlugginer Five" The "B" side is an instrumemtal entitled "Potrzebie" Newsstand availability ceased in June 2018. However, the magazine was still available in comic book stores or via subscription. Today there is almost no new material in the magazine.

April 11, 2023 8:59 am  #4

Thanks for all the memories Al.  You were a true artist.

April 11, 2023 9:00 am  #5

I remember "What Me Worry?" but Mad's most famous release actually came as an insert to the magazine. It was called "It's A Gas" and it's become one of the most iconic - if gross- instrumentals in music history. Listen at your own risk!

April 11, 2023 9:24 am  #6

MADtv was also a good success.  A sketch comedy and satire/parody program loosely based on the humour of the magazine.  MADtv lasted 14 years on FOX and one season on CW. 

Quincy Jones and creator David Saltzman bought the rights to the magazine three years after owner William Gaines passed away.  Gaines owned EC Comics and didn't like television.   In the past he had always refused to sell the rights of MAD, and resisted any attempt to have a television version of the magazine.  Apparently he had been approached various times.  The program was on the air from 1995 to early 2010.

Later in 2010 an animated MAD TV series produced by Warner Bros. came to be.  This series, again based on the magazine lasted 4 seasons on the Cartoon Network.   

April 11, 2023 9:52 am  #7

One of my all-time favourite chart covers.

April 11, 2023 11:53 am  #8

Mad Magazine hasn't been the same since DC took it over (it now has ads, for instance, which would have horrified the late editor, Bill Gaines.) But it did pay tribute to the late Al Jaffee on its site, which reminds readers of his history and contributions to the iconic publication. 

Al Jaffee Tribute 

April 11, 2023 5:02 pm  #9

102 years old. That's a good run! RIP, Al.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio.