sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2023 12:41 pm  #1

No Daddy Dewdrop Here??

Looking at the RadioWest.ca site I see the CHUM CHART from this date 1971.  Some interesting songs on the chart including the novelty hit by Daddy Dewdrop and Chick-A-Boom.

For some reason the chart has that the song is not available in Canada.  It was played a lot on the radio but it looks like the single wasn't distributed here according to CHUM.

However, it was.  The song was on the Sunflower label and distributed in Canada by London records.  Don't understand why CHUM would say it was unavailable.   Chick-A-Boom reached #2 in Canada on the RPM chart.

April 10, 2023 1:20 pm  #2

Re: No Daddy Dewdrop Here??

It was just a temporary situation. The April 24, 1971 issue of Billboard reported that "London has acquired Canadian rights to the Daddy Dewdrop U.S. hit, 'Chick-a-Boom'", and CHUM reflected this as of their April 17 chart.

Last edited by Lorne (April 10, 2023 1:27 pm)

April 10, 2023 3:24 pm  #3

As the late great Paul Harvey would say...and now you know the rest of the story...thanks Lorne!

April 10, 2023 6:40 pm  #4

https://youtu.be/25-8el1FLzo

after reading the charts, I was curious to hear the actual Chick-A-Boom tune, it's not bad, kinda fun.. the name Daddy Dewdrop sounds quite modern, like something a rap artist would use and his delivery/phrasing reminds me of Alice Cooper for some strange reason 🎩

Last edited by betaylored (April 10, 2023 6:40 pm)

April 10, 2023 6:49 pm  #5

Daddy Dewdrop aka Richard Monda released five other singles in 1966, 1968, 1971, 1975 and 1978. None of them ever reached Billboard's Bubbling Under Chart. Chick-a-Boom peaked at #9 on the Hot 100.

April 10, 2023 7:08 pm  #6

Another anomaly I noticed on the CHUM Chart was that back in 1982 "Valley Girl" by Frank Zappa was listed as an "LP cut" during most of its run on the chart (with the exception of the first week, I think). Initially, I believe it started out as an LP cut on AOR stations but then caught fire on Top 40 stations, which eventually led to it being released as a 45. A scan of Discogs.com shows that it was actually released in Canada on a 45, both in promo and commercial form (although incorrectly labelled as "Valley Girls").

Frank Zappa - "Valley Girls" - Canadian single

PJ

Last edited by Paul Jeffries (April 10, 2023 7:18 pm)

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!