sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 20, 2023 9:48 pm  #31

Re: K-LOVE 102.5 Toronto coming soon...

Here is a thread about Automated FM Radio from the "Steve Hoffman Music Forums"...

(apologies if this has been posted before)

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/automated-fm-radio-anybody-remember-the-stereo-rock-format.306170/

As many here will already know, Buffalo's Rock 102 used the TM Productions Stereo Rock programming.  
I was amazed at the number of other competing companies that also offered a tape format syndication package... 

Loved the one mention of the Scully 270 machines with Maytag washing machine motors in them....  And having to make sure that the 14" reels/hub were securely lock down on the transport, or they might go flying off and get embedded in the wall board, or injure someone....   who knew that automation could be so dangerous!!!

Last edited by Glen Warren (February 20, 2023 9:50 pm)

February 21, 2023 3:33 am  #32

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

1) Buffalo not Toronto
2) Wait and see what Cumulus is up to first.

It would target Toronto. 

Again, you presume. There’s no indication that this is fact.

February 21, 2023 4:05 am  #33

Glen Warren wrote:

Loved the one mention of the Scully 270 machines with Maytag washing machine motors in them....  And having to make sure that the 14" reels/hub were securely lock down on the transport, or they might go flying off and get embedded in the wall board, or injure someone....   who knew that automation could be so dangerous!!!

Whoever said automation was the death of live announcers wasn't kidding! 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

February 21, 2023 6:02 am  #34

Tomas Barlow wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

1) Buffalo not Toronto
2) Wait and see what Cumulus is up to first.

It would target Toronto. 

Again, you presume. There’s no indication that this is fact.

Agreed. The subject line really should have a question mark. 
Especially when Cumulus could also be a potential buyer.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 21, 2023 8:07 am  #35

The Radio Discussions Board has also suggested that maybe WECK's Buddy Shula could somehow manage to find the funds to buy one of the Audacy FM stations, maybe even WTSS. It's unlikely but if you're speculating, you can add that remote possibility to the pile. 

February 21, 2023 8:08 am  #36

RadioActive wrote:

The Radio Discussions Board has also suggested that maybe WECK's Buddy Shula could somehow manage to find the funds to buy one of the Audacy FM stations, maybe even WTSS. It's unlikely but if you're speculating, you can add that remote possibility to the pile. 

Use it as a high-powered WECK repeater (I know - the FCC would never allow it

Last edited by Jody Thornton (February 21, 2023 8:09 am)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 21, 2023 12:29 pm  #37

It may not be my taste, but it turns out Christian stations are growing - at least in the U.S. - and according to the numbers, the format is spreading. So it's small wonder they're looking to expand to new markets. K-Love added 11 stations on its own last year. 

Consistently Adding More Stations, Christian Broadcasters Are 'Solid As A Rock.'

April 7, 2023 5:36 pm  #39

This is perfect because, way back in the day, then Entercom paid way too much money for 107.7 in an effort to prevent WKSE from having any competition.  (They also bought Magic 102, to remove competition, lol)

Long story short, the sale of 102.5 most likely secures that there will continue to be no competition.

April 7, 2023 5:51 pm  #40

I'm going to assume that the Star brand will move to 104.7/107.7

April 7, 2023 8:49 pm  #41

RadioAaron wrote:

I'm going to assume that the Star brand will move to 104.7/107.7

I don't see why not.  At the end of the day when all is said and done, all Audacy wants is to have no competition at all, if at all possible. 
Heck, they even bought WGR to remove competition with WBEN. 
If anything right now, one might even say K love is their friend.

April 7, 2023 10:27 pm  #42

Bill Dulmage wrote:

WGR and WBEN were co-owned long before Audacy/Entercom.

I'm referring to the the Sinclair Entercom days where, when news broke out, WGR broke in! 
WBEN News/talk radio was competition. None of this one voice one choice crap.

April 7, 2023 11:17 pm  #43

The K-Love format currently airs on 89.9 WBKV, with a 16.000 watt signal that barely reaches St. Catharines and Welland. A move to 102.5, with that 110,000 watt signal would easily introduce the format to the entire GTA. As for Star102 current listeners, perhaps they would migrate to 96.1 WMSX.

April 8, 2023 2:56 pm  #44

According to Radio Discussions in Buffalo and on wiki, K LOVE has over 500 stations in the US and broadcast on over 600 signals when translators are added in.  Their overhead is tiny since all of the 500+ stations are simulcast out of one outlet in Nashville.  Education Media Foundation (EMF) the parent company of K LOVE could well afford the $15.5 million it paid for the Buffalo and Memphis stations in this deal. K LOVE reaches about 12 million listeners every week in the US.  Broken down this would average less than 24,000 listeners per station.  

April 8, 2023 7:06 pm  #45

haydenmatthews14 wrote:

So what is going to happen to Star 102.5? I don't understand the article at all. Is Audacy selling Star 102.5? Does not make any sense to me.

Yes, they are. A few months ago, Audacy created a holding company called Audacy Atlas and placed Star, as well as a couple other stations into that new company(one of them, a station in Memphis, Tenn. also factored into that sale to EMF). As for what will happen to Star, that's a good question. No one knows if Audacy is going to move the format at staff to another station(IF that's the case, WLKK(107.7 and 104.7 the Wolf)would be likely; they have an antenna that's in Wethersfield, but their 104.7 translator does give metro Buffalo good coverage). Or some other station will shift format to hot AC. 

What I suspect is that this isn't going to be the last domino to fall in the Buffalo radio landscape any time soon.

April 8, 2023 7:08 pm  #46

RadioActive wrote:

I'm on that board, and some have mentioned that Shula MIGHT purchase 107.7 and switch it to classic country. Emphasis on MIGHT.

April 8, 2023 7:10 pm  #47

mace wrote:

The K-Love format currently airs on 89.9 WBKV, with a 16.000 watt signal that barely reaches St. Catharines and Welland. A move to 102.5, with that 110,000 watt signal would easily introduce the format to the entire GTA. As for Star102 current listeners, perhaps they would migrate to 96.1 WMSX.

CJED(105.1 the River)runs the same format as WTSS.

April 8, 2023 8:04 pm  #48

ckg927 wrote:

mace wrote:

105.1 picks up well in Niagara falls NY, but not so well in Buffalo NY. 
Under a former ownership, 105.1 already got in trouble through a sister station (as Wild 101) for targeting a market that they are not licenced to. (in other words, for targeting Buffalo NY instead of targeting Niagara falls, as they were licenced to do) 
Nobody in Buffalo NY will go all the way over to Canada to shop anyway.

April 8, 2023 8:57 pm  #49

Coincidentally, this appeared on Forbes' website Saturday. One the networks that was a victim of a recent hacking on its website was - you guessed it - K-Love.

A Christian Radio Network Stands Powerless To Social Media Hackers. But Why?

April 8, 2023 9:26 pm  #50

Radiowiz wrote:

ckg927 wrote:

mace wrote:

105.1 picks up well in Niagara falls NY, but not so well in Buffalo NY. 
Under a former ownership, 105.1 already got in trouble through a sister station (as Wild 101) for targeting a market that they are not licenced to. (in other words, for targeting Buffalo NY instead of targeting Niagara falls, as they were licenced to do) 
Nobody in Buffalo NY will go all the way over to Canada to shop anyway.

The weird thing is...with the Canadian dollar being what it is, it might be better(i.e. CHEAPER)to do some shopping in Canada these days. Also, Radio One Buffalo(WECK's owner)has an ad sales partnership with CJED & CFLZ to sell ads in Buffalo.

And, FTR, my car radio picks up 105.1 decently around metro Buffalo.

April 9, 2023 10:47 am  #51

In case you're not familiar with the kind of programming a K-Love station offers, here's a look. I know it might be somewhat sacrilegious to say on Easter Sunday, but this is the kind of stuff I go out of my way to avoid. I should note that I'm not anti-religious in any way, but this seems to be over doing it.

I suppose it appeals to somebody though, because the network of K-Love stations continues to expand. But I have to wonder what the ratings are.

Here's a brief look at their playlist for the past half hour, as of 10:45 AM Sunday. Is this something you would tune in to hear?

April 9, 2023 1:09 pm  #52

As was mentioned earlier the owners of K LOVE won't be concerned about ratings.  In fact only a few of their hundreds of stations take part in ratings. These outlets are successful because of donations and very low overhead.

K LOVE is commercial free so ratings and appealing to traditional advertisers isn't part of the business plan. They don't need that many listeners to make the Buffalo station a success.  Just people who like the music and message and are willing to open the wallet.  The facebook page encourages an EZ Gift of $40 per month. 

April 9, 2023 5:12 pm  #53

paterson1 wrote:

According to Radio Discussions in Buffalo and on wiki, K LOVE has over 500 stations in the US and broadcast on over 600 signals when translators are added in.  Their overhead is tiny since all of the 500+ stations are simulcast out of one outlet in Nashville.  Education Media Foundation (EMF) the parent company of K LOVE could well afford the $15.5 million it paid for the Buffalo and Memphis stations in this deal. K LOVE reaches about 12 million listeners every week in the US.  Broken down this would average less than 24,000 listeners per station.  

My quick and dirty math estimates 17,000 weekly radio listeners on average to every signal in the US.

April 9, 2023 5:25 pm  #54

What a waste of a 110,000 watt signal, once they get WTSS-FM. 

April 9, 2023 5:32 pm  #55

I'm not religious in the least and will never listen to K-LOVE, but how many people would donate money to Star 102.5?

Given the massive population areas the signal covers but were never monetized by WTSS, this might be a more productive use of the signal.

April 9, 2023 5:36 pm  #56

Still sad to see such an incredible grandfathered signal - a power no longer available in North America - being used for so few listeners. One of the few really clear Buffalo signals you can get in Toronto. The Rock 102 days seem like a loooong time ago. 

April 9, 2023 5:41 pm  #57

It's entirely possible the new format will have more listeners, especially if it's marketed here. The signal covers hugely populated areas with a format currently available by at least half a dozen in all of them - and with no real extra value beyond its playlist.

April 9, 2023 5:45 pm  #58

What a sad comment that is, if it turns out to be true. The fact they couldn't make a super-powered FM station available in two countries work is a terrible commentary on how little imagination was put into the place. 

April 9, 2023 6:00 pm  #59

Maybe?

If they'd put effort into creating something that would grab attention beyond the station's rated market they'd end up with a mish-mash of different ratings systems and no clear path to monetization.

Now that the signal's market is "anywhere it's heard" and the business plan doesn't involve ratings or advertising, taking advantage of a signal bigger than its home market becomes a lot easier. Apples and oranges.

(And Star was probably "working," Audacy just needed quick cash and EMF saw the value in a signal that's bigger than it needs to be for its current use)

Last edited by RadioAaron (April 9, 2023 6:02 pm)

April 9, 2023 6:22 pm  #60

Something else to consider is the fact that in addition to having low overhead for the K LOVE stations, Education Media Foundation can take advantage of tax write offs with the IRS.  Regular broadcasters and radio chains will not have some of these tax breaks since EMF is a foundation and a religious broadcaster.  Listeners that donate in the US  will also be able to write off part of the donation come tax time.

I have no idea if the same would apply with the CRA since K LOVE is US based.  Doesn't really matter since they will absolutely have donations come in from across Southern Ontario.  Sort of similar to WNED which has always had good support from across the border, where most of their audience and donation dollars live. Ten million people living on the other side.