sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 8, 2023 9:11 pm  #1

Odd Classified Ad In The Toronto Star: "Wanted: 1988 Radio Tapers"

I don't usually look at the classified section of the Toronto Star - really, who reads those ads anymore? - but this one caught my eye. Its headline says "Wanted: 1988 Radio Tapers," and it goes on to explain that a video guy appears to be looking for air checks from that singular year for a documentary he's making about GTA radio from the late 80s. 

He notes an award show that was broadcast on Q107 is of special interest. I have no idea who he is or why a guy with a 514 - Montreal - area code is looking to do a feature on Toronto radio, but if you're interested, the ad is posted below with his number and an email address. 

I have to say I've seen ads in the past for stereos, old audio equipment and old 45s and albums, but never for something like this. 

Here's the very small ad. 

April 8, 2023 9:27 pm  #2

Re: Odd Classified Ad In The Toronto Star: "Wanted: 1988 Radio Tapers"

I've reached out to "andrew9069" to get more info on his documentary plans. Whether he chooses to respond, I have no idea. But if I learn anything, I will post it here. 

April 8, 2023 10:35 pm  #3

He's posted about this a few times on Facebook ... here's one of the posts.

Canadian Music Lovers  · 
Andrew Leccese  · 
16 November 2022  · 
1988 TORONTO MUSIC AWARDS
I'm helping research the early years of The Tragically Hip for their official documentary currently in the works (directed by Mike Downie).
We're having trouble locating a recording of an important show in their story: the Toronto Music Awards (Massey Hall, 1988-11-11)
It seems all formal sources trashed their copies years ago, but it was broadcast live on Q107. If anyone knows someone who might have taped if off the radio back then, I would love to hear from you. Thanks in advance!

April 8, 2023 10:41 pm  #4

I guess he hasn't found much if he posted that back in 2022 and is still looking. He's like U2 - he still hasn't found what he's looking for. I wish him luck in his search. I wonder if Q107 kept anything. (Although it's been my experience that most stations save almost nothing of their past, much to the regret of people like yours truly.)

April 8, 2023 10:57 pm  #5

So I just heard from Mr. Leccese. Here's his response and again, I wish him luck:

"Thank so much for responding to the ad... and reposting it on your forum! I'm helping with research on the early years of The Tragically Hip in support of their official documentary, directed by Mike Downie:

Mike Downie to direct ‘definitive documentary’ on the Tragically Hip in 4-part series – Courage Films

Mike has enlisted the help of some passionate fans to assist with locating media that could be of interest to the documentary.  Last year, we were tasked with finding a recording of an important event in their story, the 1988 Toronto Music Awards

Unfortunately, all official sources trashed their copies years ago.  However, it was broadcast live on Q107 that night, so he figured that a fan should have a copy of it somewhere... but it doesn't appear in the established Hip fan database and all callouts on social media have come up dry.  It seems it's just not "out there", so I decided that we needed to try another, broader, more conventional approach to get the word out, to get the right people (perhaps those that aren't on social media) to start looking for tapes in their storage boxes, etc. 

I see that one of your members has already seen some of my Facebook callouts.  Hopefully this new exposure will find the right person who hasn't seen it before.  If you have any more questions, please let me know. 

Thanks again!

Andrew"

April 9, 2023 12:19 am  #6

One last addition from the man in Montreal:

"I just thought, if you add to your post (or perhaps create a new one?), you could mention that any local TV/radio of The Hip would also be of interest (the older the better). 

We called around local Southern Ontario cable stations, but nothing from the mid-80's appears to have survived. 

Thanks again!

Andrew"

April 9, 2023 6:01 am  #7

It's possible a Toronto TV station (most likely City) had a clip on their newscast and that might be in their archives.