sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 5, 2023 6:12 am  #1

CFRB Knocked Off The Air In The Middle Of A Weather Forecast

Talk about great moments in bad timing. Newscaster Ashley Legassic was right in the middle of her weather forecast at the end of her 6 AM newscast Wednesday, telling listeners it wouldn't be the worst day imaginable, but it would be stormy. As she said those words, CFRB's signal died and the station went off the air. 

I'm sure they're working on this as I type this post, but there's been no signal on 1010 for the past 10 minutes. Nothing but static. I'm wondering if lightning played a role at the transmitter site, because it happened just as the storm they'd just been talking about was moving into the GTA. 

I'm surprised their back-up generator didn't come on, unless there's something else going on. (They are still around on HD and online, but nothing on AM.) But for anyone listening the old-fashioned way, there's no Moore no more. I hope they fix it soon. But I wonder how long it will last.

April 5, 2023 6:21 am  #2

Re: CFRB Knocked Off The Air In The Middle Of A Weather Forecast

On air on line and Alexa

April 5, 2023 6:37 am  #3

I was wondering if it was my radio that just went static.  I hope they get it fix soon as I will miss my 'John Moore in the morning'.

April 5, 2023 6:38 am  #4

They're back on as of 6:37 AM. Hard to tell if they're full strength, but there's going to be some make goods in the offing - they were gone for at least half an hour in the middle of the valuable morning drive daypart. 

April 5, 2023 7:28 am  #5

Any chance of hearing WINS while RB was silent?

April 5, 2023 7:40 am  #6

I tried, but there was too much noise from the lightning and storm. I have heard WINS under 'RB at times on other evenings, though. 

April 5, 2023 4:04 pm  #7

There's a bright side.  Just think of all the Frank Leo, Spence Diamonds and Coast Appliance ads you missed.

April 6, 2023 7:28 am  #8

Perhaps their 1% share will really knock them off the air!!

April 6, 2023 11:42 am  #9

Over the last couple of years on this board we have learned about AM stations on 610, 680 and now 1010 khz going off the air. Back in the day this was a rare occurrence for a large or mid-market operator. A properly designed AM transmitter site will be resistant to lightening strikes and have appropriate back up devices. I wonder what happened.

April 6, 2023 4:57 pm  #10

CFRB can operate in at least three modes:  Day Pattern, Night Pattern, and an omnidirectional tower. I think the issue is that someone, not some thing, has to make the logical choice as to what the problem is and what the restoration mode is. At 6 am that can be difficult.
Back in the 1970s, CFRB still had a resident transmitter operator on a prime time day shift, and he lived in Oakville, only a few minutes away if there was a problem at other times.
That said, there are still common elements to all modes of operation that can take you down, such as the main breaker in the power panel.

April 6, 2023 9:21 pm  #11

Skywave wrote:

CFRB can operate in at least three modes:  Day Pattern, Night Pattern, and an omnidirectional tower. I think the issue is that someone, not some thing, has to make the logical choice as to what the problem is and what the restoration mode is. At 6 am that can be difficult.
Back in the 1970s, CFRB still had a resident transmitter operator on a prime time day shift, and he lived in Oakville, only a few minutes away if there was a problem at other times.
That said, there are still common elements to all modes of operation that can take you down, such as the main breaker in the power panel.

I understand Day and Night Pattern. What is Omnidirectional?

April 6, 2023 9:49 pm  #12

Omnidirectional is a circular radiation pattern which results from feeding a single tower. It is used as a reference signal when tuning the directional patterns. By taking the ratio of the directional to non-directional signal strengths, you determine the shape of the day or night pattern.

April 6, 2023 11:15 pm  #13

Skywave wrote:

...Back in the 1970s, CFRB still had a resident transmitter operator on a prime time day shift, and he lived in Oakville, only a few minutes away if there was a problem at other times....

Now the primary point of contact for such Bell support concerns is a cheerful and literate teenager in Hyderabad.