sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2023 8:55 pm  #1

"Tim & Friends" Cancelled On Sportsnet Radio/TV

First he lost Sid. Now he's losing his gig. Tim Micallef confirmed on Monday that his long running "Tim & Friends" will be coming to an end on April 11th. The show has been on the Fan 590 and other Rogers sports properties since 2011. 

Micallef won't be out of a job, though. He's staying with the company and will be back on air in other capacities once the show is done. You can watch his announcement at the linked article. 

Sportsnet's popular Tim & Friends show is going off the air 

March 28, 2023 2:04 am  #2

Re: "Tim & Friends" Cancelled On Sportsnet Radio/TV

It should be pointed out that the show was Tim & Sid for most of its existence.

March 28, 2023 9:01 am  #3

I'd be interested to know the difference in Canadian TV ratings between these Canadian sport/talk TV programs on Sportsnet and TSN and what the Americans are churning out on ESPN as an example...Tim was up against ESPN's Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption for an hour of his show on most days...I'm actually surprised TSN and Sportsnet still have hours long highlight programs...the Americans still have them too but are less highlight heavy and frequent and have transitioned to opinion based sports shows...a specific team's and league's highlights can easily be found on line whenever someone wants them...the days of the lame, teleprompter-reading, wannabe comedian, sportscaster are hopefully on life support...

March 28, 2023 11:35 am  #4

Johnny B wrote:

I'd be interested to know the difference in Canadian TV ratings between these Canadian sport/talk TV programs on Sportsnet and TSN and what the Americans are churning out on ESPN as an example...Tim was up against ESPN's Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption for an hour of his show on most days...I'm actually surprised TSN and Sportsnet still have hours long highlight programs...the Americans still have them too but are less highlight heavy and frequent and have transitioned to opinion based sports shows...a specific team's and league's highlights can easily be found on line whenever someone wants them...the days of the lame, teleprompter-reading, wannabe comedian, sportscaster are hopefully on life support...

I found some Neilsen numbers for the Thursday March 23rd episode of Pardon the Interruption. 2+:598,000. 18-49:156,600. 25-54:194,500.

March 28, 2023 1:34 pm  #5

mace wrote:

Johnny B wrote:

I found some Neilsen numbers for the Thursday March 23rd episode of Pardon the Interruption. 2+:598,000. 18-49:156,600. 25-54:194,500.

Those numbers are for ESPN in the US so they really don't matter.  How does Tim & Friends do compared to the half hour segments for Around The Horn and Pardon the Interruption on TSN.  Also it would be interesting to see how TSN's Overdrive does in ratings.

Personally I enjoyed Tim & Friends whenever I watched and liked the format fine. Sorry to see the show leave.  Tim is opinionated but not overly so or annoying. Also enjoyed his humour.  Interested to see what is up next for him.   

March 31, 2023 5:35 pm  #6

So what does Sportsnet have planned for the timeslot now that Tim Micallef's show is about to end?

"Beginning on April 17, the slot that used to hold “Tim & Friends” will be filled through the NHL postseason with “NHL Now,” from the NHL Network. On Sportsnet 360, the network will carry simulcast programming from Sportsnet 590 The Fan."

Why Sportsnet canceled 'Tim & Friends,' and what happens next for Tim Micallef
https://clearthis.page/?u=https://theathletic.com/4367840/2023/03/31/sportsnet-tim-and-friends-micallef/