sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 28, 2022 10:51 am  #1

U.S. Radio Legend Scott Shannon Announces Retirement

He's not necessarily a household name in Canada, but if you're in radio, you certainly know who Scott Shannon is. The broadcaster has been a part of the New York City market for decades and has been successful at every station where he's worked. But now, in his final gig as morning man at WCBS-FM, Shannon has announced he'll be retiring.  

It was Shannon who created the infamous "morning zoo" format that spread to stations across North America, including Q107 in Toronto for a time. He took a moribund outlet, WHTZ-FM in The Big Apple, and made it the #1 station in the market within 74 days of debuting the concept, a feat that inspired a documentary on the achievement.  That's simply incredible.

And he was one of the original VJs on VH1 in the States. He's also hosted various syndicated music shows that aired on stations across the country, which he'll continue to do, and is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. 

Quite a career. 

There will probably be a lot of hype when he finishes his last shift, scheduled for Dec. 16th.

Scott Shannon Retiring

October 28, 2022 11:42 am  #2

Re: U.S. Radio Legend Scott Shannon Announces Retirement

Can't say I've ever heard of him.

October 28, 2022 11:47 am  #3

I seem to recall he was on the Big 8 (CKLW) for a time.

March 24, 2023 3:02 pm  #4

If you ever wondered if it was possible to make truly big bucks in radio, here's proof that at least some still can.

Famed Radio DJ Lists Westchester Estate For $3.45 Million

March 24, 2023 4:28 pm  #5

Legend!

March 24, 2023 6:39 pm  #6

Gee I wonder back in the 60's what kind of home Wally Crouter could have afforded?