sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 23, 2023 4:26 pm  #1

New Doc Outlines How "Blackmail" Ruined Blood, Sweat & Tears' Career

I had no idea this ever happened but this documentary looks really interesting, especially if you were a fan of BS&T, the famous horn group that featured Canada's David Clayton-Thomas on lead vocal. They had a ton of hits both here and in the U.S., with greats like Spinning Wheel, You've Made Me So Very Happy, Lucretia MacEvil and When I Die.

But then the group just seemed to fade away in the early 70s, vanishing without any new music, despite winning several Grammy Awards.

According to a new documentary, there was a reason for the failure. And the group blames the American government. It turns out Clayton-Thomas had a criminal record here, and that led the U.S. to waffle on allowing him access to America. But without their lead singer, there was no way for them to tour while the hits were hot. That's when the American government stepped in with an offer they couldn't refuse.

"They went on a U.S. State Department-sponsored tour behind the Iron Curtain into Romania, Czechoslovakia and Poland.

"The tour itself was stressful, especially in Romania where government troops assaulted animated concert-goers, but it also put Blood, Sweat & Tears in a precarious position. On one side was the conservative right, which was anti-rock 'n' roll to begin with and was well aware of the group's opposition to the war in Vietnam. Afterward, however, the left began to describe them as a tool of the U.S. government and therefore "uncool." Abbie Hoffman and the Yippies even dubbed the band "Blood, Sweat & Bullshit."

That story is the basis of the new film "What The Hell Happened To Blood, Sweat & Tears?" Every group has a life span. The documentary outlines why theirs may have been cut short way too soon. 

How Blood, Sweat & Tears Were Blackmailed Into A Disastrous Tour 

March 24, 2023 7:55 pm  #2

Re: New Doc Outlines How "Blackmail" Ruined Blood, Sweat & Tears' Career

It will be playing at the Hot Docs Theatre 506 Bloor St. near Bathurst Friday March 31st at 3:30pm.