sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 23, 2023 7:06 am  #1

CHLO 530 HD MIA?

It appears that CHLO 530 is no longer broadcasting in HD.  Doesn't show up on my car radio, and looking at a spectrum display on a software defined radio shows that there are no longer any digital sidebands. I wonder what the reason is?
1) the relatively low power of the HD signal resulted in a lot of back and forth switching from HD to analog, with the accompanying change in frequency response.  An annoyance for sure.
2) interference to NAVTEX  nautical weather service as noted in earlier posts.
3) The HD encoding equipment went to Montreal for the testing on CFMB 1280.

March 23, 2023 8:15 am  #2

Re: CHLO 530 HD MIA?

The likely reason was transmitter damage during the pandemic. (I remember reading about this issue some time ago)

March 23, 2023 11:00 am  #3

Isnt their transmitter the new facility near Milton area with the big red lights (single tower)?

September 25, 2023 3:58 pm  #4

A DXer is reporting hearing traces of the HD encoding on CHLO-530 from his listening post in Montreal.  Can anyone confirm or deny if CHLO has their HD IBOC/hybrid signal going again?

September 25, 2023 6:26 pm  #5

Sounds to me like it is on Jon

September 25, 2023 9:25 pm  #6

markow202 wrote:

Isnt their transmitter the new facility near Milton area with the big red lights (single tower)?

Speaking of Milton  CFTR 680 has a weird annoying sound when going near the Highway 401/407 interchange. When I put on 680 that sound drives me and my dad nuts when trying to get traffic information.

September 25, 2023 10:05 pm  #7

haydenmatthews14 wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Speaking of Milton  CFTR 680 has a weird annoying sound when going near the Highway 401/407 interchange. When I put on 680 that sound drives me and my dad nuts when trying to get traffic information.

The big tower at 401 and 407 is AM 740. The signal is so strong that it interferes with 680 when driving nearby. Happens to me as well.

September 25, 2023 10:30 pm  #8

TheWiz wrote:

The big tower at 401 and 407 is AM 740. The signal is so strong that it interferes with 680 when driving nearby. Happens to me as well.

Also on that stick is CJBC 860, the CBC's French-language outlet, aka "Ici Radio-Canada Première".

September 26, 2023 7:55 am  #9

Forward Power wrote:

TheWiz wrote:

Also on that stick is CJBC 860, the CBC's French-language outlet, aka "Ici Radio-Canada Première".

Yes, the CBC was one of the first North American efforts to diplex. At the time, it was CBL-740 and CJBC-860.  Late 1940s, as I remember reading it.

Very early diplex work was done in the South Pacific by Alan Roycroft during World War II.  Alan was just starting triplexing in Honolulu in the late 1960s when he wrote me about it.

September 26, 2023 8:26 am  #10

WOW! All this interference makes me glad I don't drive.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 26, 2023 8:54 am  #11

My CHLO AM was on 680. About a million years ago. 

But I did invent a character who spoke 700 words a minute while I was there. I also remember leaving the studio one night to pull the 11 PM newscasts. 

There at the back door to the building stood a kid just a little younger than me. I asked him what he wanted. He said "How do I get into radio?" Come in here while I read the news. The control room was small. I rolled a religious program that ran at 11 PM.

I told him my story and that CHLO 680 was my second radio job. We talked a while. He became the guy who was answering my phone calls. Back then all the lines were ringing constantly. We talked a bunch more over the weeks/months to come. I could tell this guy loved the idea of radio and being part of it. As did I.

Then I left for CKEY. But before I left the owner and I had a chat. I suggested he keep that "kid" around cause he really loves radio and he could be very valuable in the days and months ahead. 

Then I took off for Toronto. 

Oh that Kid? His name was and is Paul Ski.

Last edited by Marsden (September 26, 2023 8:57 am)

September 26, 2023 9:18 am  #12

That's a great story Mr. Marsden. I think a lot of us were given a chance by someone, leading to a break in radio, including yours truly. Nice to see you returned the favour. I can guarantee you that for all his success with CHUM and later Rogers, Mr. Ski has never forgotten it!

And what a career you helped start!

"Ski spent four decades in radio in various roles including DJ, program director and general manager. He started his career as a jack-of-all-trades at CHLO-AM – a 1000-watt independent in St. Thomas, Ont. now owned by Corus Entertainment – in the 1960s. Ski had an afternoon drive show when he was still in Grade 11.

He joined the CHUM Radio group when he was hired by Fred Sherrat to program Ottawa’s CFRA in the 1970s, and was appointed executive VP and president of CHUM Radio in the early 2000s. He spent most of his career at the former CHUM Radio (since absorbed by Bell Media) before joining Rogers in 2008."

Quite a legacy for a kid who showed up at the back door of a small station in a small Ontario town and just happened to meet the right guy. 

September 26, 2023 10:44 am  #13

TheWiz wrote:

haydenmatthews14 wrote:

markow202 wrote:

AM 530 is just north of it across.  I dont listen to 530 but their signal themselves is weak 

September 27, 2023 6:01 pm  #14

I am receiving AM530 in HD from Hamilton.