sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 15, 2023 12:05 pm  #1

Mint Mobile Sold In 1.3 Billion Dollar Deal

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/ryan-reynolds-mint-mobile-sold-t-mobile-1235353022/

Yes it's south of the border and no, Mint Mobile was never going to come up to Canada, but it's still interesting to see why one of the big boys think a small independent business like Mint is enough of a distraction/threat to their customer base to make swallowing it up a smart decision.

Congratulations to Mint Mobile minority owner Ryan Reynolds. Footie teams can be expensive and he probably needed the dough.

This acquisition will definitely be discussed at Rogers, Bell and Telus this week.

Last edited by betaylored (March 15, 2023 12:08 pm)

March 15, 2023 12:32 pm  #2

Re: Mint Mobile Sold In 1.3 Billion Dollar Deal

As far as the cell phone market is concerned, is there much difference between Bell/Rogers here and  Verizon/T-Mobile south of the border. They all like to gobble up small competitors.

March 15, 2023 4:41 pm  #3

This sale might give Mr. Reynolds a few more bones to buy the Ottawa Senators. 

March 16, 2023 9:51 am  #4

Only big difference with this, from track record it's doubtful you will see huge price hikes, and even the Mint brand will likely stay around because of their popularity and approach that is different.    Here they typically buy a company and move everyone to their own existing brands and wipe the former brand off the face of the earth, while jacking prices sky high. 

March 16, 2023 8:11 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

This sale might give Mr. Reynolds a few more bones to buy the Ottawa Senators. 

It actually makes a lot of Sens for Ryan to buy them and, as my dear departed Nan would say, wouldn't that just jar the Leafs applesauce.🤞

March 16, 2023 8:19 pm  #6

radiokid wrote:

Only big difference with this, from track record it's doubtful you will see huge price hikes, and even the Mint brand will likely stay around because of their popularity and approach that is different.    Here they typically buy a company and move everyone to their own existing brands and wipe the former brand off the face of the earth, while jacking prices sky high. 

When Rogers bought Mobilicity and turned it into chatr, I believe they grandfathered the Mobilicity customers and left the contracts the same, at least they did with mine. Knock on wood that doesn't change but it's been stable for over six years. Although I keep getting "invitations" via email to switch to Rogers. Snowballs chance on that.

Someone needs to ask Ryan Reynolds what he thinks of Canadian cellphone service, products and pricing. 😏💰📳📴

March 16, 2023 8:28 pm  #7

betaylored wrote:

When Rogers bought Mobilicity and turned it into chatr, I believe they grandfathered the Mobilicity customers and left the contracts the same, at least they did with mine. Knock on wood that doesn't change but it's been stable for over six years. Although I keep getting "invitations" via email to switch to Rogers. Snowballs chance on that.

Chatr was already around when Rogers bought Mobilicity. They bought Mobilicity, grandfathered it and shut it down.
(merging it with Chatr is a better way to put it)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 17, 2023 12:48 am  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Chatr was already around when Rogers bought Mobilicity. They bought Mobilicity, grandfathered it and shut it down.
(merging it with Chatr is a better way to put it)

thanks for the clarification Radiowiz.😁