sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 15, 2023 4:18 am  #1

Diamond Sports Group Owners Of Bally Sports Files Chapter 11

Sinclair Broadcastings Diamond Sports Group which runs Bally Sports and has the broadcast rights to 42 professional teams has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the US.  More details from AP..https://apnews.com/article/sports-business-diamond-sports-bankruptcy-883ac1591ada9f4131ce689d955aee30 

March 16, 2023 12:25 am  #2

Re: Diamond Sports Group Owners Of Bally Sports Files Chapter 11

To add some context these used to be Fox Sports regional channels until Disney bought Fox and had to divest the regional sports channels because it wasn't allowed to own them and ESPN as well.

March 16, 2023 12:28 am  #3

I thought live sports was where the money is. 

March 16, 2023 1:36 am  #4

cash wrote:

Not if there are some black out complications.

FROM:  https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nhl/predators/2023/03/15/bally-sports-bankruptcy-nashville-predators-nhl-fans/70001184007/

"If the Predators are playing, the game is blacked out by ESPN because of Bally Sports’ dominion over this region.
Except I’ve not been able to watch Bally Sports, either, because my streaming service – Hulu – couldn’t reach a deal in recent years to keep the regional sports networks.
Same for YouTubeTV, which I’d actually joined and then abandoned for Hulu because of those Sinclair RSNs.
Then Hulu lost them, too, and I wasn't going to keep moving to accomodate. I threw up my hands, along with other frustrated cord-cutters in markets all over the country.

Such a setup – denying a large number of viewers from watching their local teams – has been absurd.It’s also terrible business."

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 16, 2023 7:32 am  #5

cash wrote:

It is if you are the NFL.

March 16, 2023 7:46 am  #6

There is an alternative solution for NHL and MLB fans. NHL66 and MLB66 give you access to both home and visiting team telecasts. All commercials are blacked out. A VPN is required. In the case of the NHL, the league has now blocked all VPN's set to Canada and the U.S. I have had success with other countries around the world.

March 16, 2023 8:38 am  #7

mace wrote:

There is an alternative solution for NHL and MLB fans. NHL66 and MLB66 give you access to both home and visiting team telecasts. All commercials are blacked out. A VPN is required. In the case of the NHL, the league has now blocked all VPN's set to Canada and the U.S. I have had success with other countries around the world.

Commercials please.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 16, 2023 10:51 am  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

mace wrote:

Commercials please.

Why? You still get to see the entire game plus the intermission talking heads.