sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 15, 2023 10:24 am  #1

CHUM Chart With Glen As A Beach Boy And Poking Fun At CBC & The Boss

Glen Campbell was a session musician on many Beach Boys hits.  He also was a full fledged member of the group for three months from December 1964 to sometime in March 1965.  Here is the CHUM chart from March 15 1965 with the band including Glen with various CHUM announcers.

Also notice some fun with the CHUMBUG CLUB and the CBC, with a comment how Scrooge wouldn't like the initials.
Was Scrooge station owner Allan Waters?  Image from RadioWest.ca

Last edited by paterson1 (March 15, 2023 10:28 am)

March 15, 2023 10:43 am  #2

Re: CHUM Chart With Glen As A Beach Boy And Poking Fun At CBC & The Boss

I used to listen to CHUM in those days and I have a lot of those charts in my collection. But maybe Doug Thompson can answer this question: Who was "Horan," the guy pictured at the bottom of the chart? I think his first name was John, but I'm not even sure of that. I don't think he was a jock on the station, because I'm sure I would have remembered that.

He turns up occasionally in CHUM history, but perhaps someone can fill in the blanks on who he was, what he did and how long he was there.  

March 15, 2023 11:16 am  #3

The words on the back of that CHUM chart were written by CHUM's Promotion Director Allen Farrell, .who wrote most of the CHUM chart blurbs.  In on-air promos and on the CHUM chart, the station would occasionally mock the CBC even though for several years in the early 1960s, CHUM morning mayor Al Boliska had a weekly TV show on the CBC's Toronto station, CBLT called "On The Scene", which if memory serves, was a LIVE TV show. 

Scrooge was the fictional owner of CHUM, portrayed in photos and on air by CHUM salesman Ray Armstrong who had a delightfully droll voice.. Allan Waters, the real owner, was the exact opposite of Scrooge. He was a wonderful, honest man and boss who treated and paid his employees very well indeed.  Here's a photo from a 1968 CHUM chart of Ray Armstrong as Scrooge.. 

math symbols font .

Last edited by Doug Thompson (March 15, 2023 11:29 am)

March 15, 2023 11:33 am  #4

RA wrote: maybe Doug Thompson can answer this question: Who was "Horan," the guy pictured at the bottom of the chart? I think his first name was John, but I'm not even sure of that. I don't think he was a jock on the station, because I'm sure I would have remembered that. 

John Horan was a Liverpool native who moved to Toronto and supposedly knew all of the Liverpool groups personally.  I'm not sure how he came to CHUM's attention but CHUM management gave him a one hour weekly show called the Liverpool School playing music of the British Invasion.  His show and Horan lasted around 2 years, then that was it.

Last edited by Doug Thompson (March 15, 2023 12:01 pm)

March 15, 2023 11:39 am  #5

Here's the front cover of a 1965 CHUM chart with John Horan and Gerry Marsden on it.

March 15, 2023 11:42 am  #6

Thanks Doug. If anyone would know, I knew it was you. Are there any tapes of his time on CHUM?

March 15, 2023 12:02 pm  #7

Sadly, none that I've found.  I used to operate his show the first year I was at CHUM (1965).  

March 15, 2023 12:13 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

Glen Campbell was a session musician on many Beach Boys hits.  He also was a full fledged member of the group for three months from December 1964 to sometime in March 1965.  Here is the CHUM chart from March 15 1965 with the band including Glen with various CHUM announcers.

Also notice some fun with the CHUMBUG CLUB and the CBC, with a comment how Scrooge wouldn't like the initials.
Was Scrooge station owner Allan Waters?  Image from RadioWest.ca

You are correct P1. Brian Wilson asked Campbell to replace him on the 1965 concert tour after a nervous breakdown forced him to retire from the road. However, by the end of 1965, Campbell was replaced by Bruce Johnston, formerly of The Rip Chords.

March 15, 2023 12:20 pm  #9

Hey Doug- Thanks for the information on Scrooge and the poking fun at CBC.  I remember once hearing an air check of Bob McAdory and he was having a good time talking about then CBC president  J. Alphonse Quimet.  Also sounds like Allan Waters was a great guy and owner. He certainly knew how to run a radio station, and hire the best people.  CHUM must have been a great place to work at.