sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 13, 2023 2:37 pm  #1

It's All Just Noise To Me

Listening to Richard Crouse cohosting the Rush this afternoon with Bob Reid
They're talking about noise - loud noises on the street - at work -  just plain noise

In describing various loud places he had visited Mr. Crouse was talking about measuring sound levels & referred to it as the decimal level. I turned up the volume and sure enough twice more Mr. Crouse referred to several different "decimal" levels.

Surprising 

Last edited by unclefester (March 13, 2023 2:49 pm)

March 13, 2023 3:16 pm  #2

Re: It's All Just Noise To Me

"Decimal?"

Maybe he was just making his "point..."

March 13, 2023 4:04 pm  #3

I only listen to a Crouse appearance until he references his time as a bartender.  Luckily, it never takes more than 5 minutes.

March 13, 2023 4:11 pm  #4

I'd rather listen to the ne'er-do-wells of Bob Reid and Richard Crouse than the "Nair"-do-well of the usual host. The show actually improves when she's not on. 

March 13, 2023 4:56 pm  #5

Sheesh! Misteaks like that could decimate a career.

How could Hell be worse?

March 14, 2023 9:47 am  #6

A day later and Mr. Crouse has done it again. On the morning round table with John Moore - Richard Crouse was part of the panel when discussion turned to the new multi billion dollar Volkswagen plant announced yesterday for St. Thomas Ontario

The city of St. Thomas has for more than a century had a strong connection to the famous circus elephant Jumbo of P.T. Barnum fame. Jumbo met his untimely demise in St. Thomas in 1885. A large statue commemorates the event.

Mr. Crouse made reference to  Dumbo the elephant in connection with the news from St. Thomas

From decimals to Dumbo

Even more surprised than yesterday  

April 2, 2023 11:35 am  #7

So Richard Crouse is hosting the Sunday morning trivia show on Newstalk 1010 this morning.
He asked a contestant the following question
"In what city was golfer Canadian golfer Mike Weir born"?
The callers guess was incorrect and the host informed him the answer was Sarnia Ontario..."home of the big nickel"

Anyone else seeing a pattern here?  

April 2, 2023 12:17 pm  #8

So I'll pose the question I often do on other platforms: Has anyone pointed this out to station management or are we just going to bitch about it here?
What is this, Grade 9?

April 2, 2023 12:40 pm  #9

Well, since he was a temporary guest host, I'm not sure there's much that can be done about it, other than to let him know for next time. In the old days of most newsrooms, the ND (or PD or some senior newscaster) would take someone aside and let them know about the mistake so it didn't occur again. That doesn't happen anymore, since those people no longer work there. 

I'm far more concerned about someone like Nathan Downer on CTV Toronto's 12 and 6 PM news, who makes a ton of errors that never seem to get corrected. The latest - and worst in a while - came late last week, with the sad discovery of those bodies in Quebec. Downer told viewers it happened somewhere on the Asa-kan-askee lands (or something similar), instead of Akwesasne. That name comes up often enough in the news that he should have had some exposure to it by now or at least gotten the pronunciation right. If I had to guess, he never heard of it and worse than not saying it right, it appears he didn't even bother to ask a producer. And it isn't the first time from him. 

Listen, everyone makes mistakes at some point and they happen. I always tried to learn from mine so I didn't make them again. But it appears no one ever points his out and it looks like he doesn't ask, and so they repeat and repeat and repeat. Hard to fix something if you don't know it's wrong or no one tells you.

If there are NO people to tell you, well, that's on Bell Media for decimating their newsrooms and getting rid of anyone with experience (translation: anyone who makes a decent salary they no longer want to pay.)

April 2, 2023 12:40 pm  #10

Radio Bob wrote:

So I'll pose the question I often do on other platforms: Has anyone pointed this out to station management or are we just going to bitch about it here?
What is this, Grade 9?

I have a strong suspicion that many of the management types at the station in question peruse this board
So because of that I believe they're aware - that is if they didn't hear the issues for themselves first hand
What they might choose to do about the "matter" I don't know
What I would do about the "matter" I don't know either
Perhaps limiting Mr. Crouse to a prepared script? 
Like I said IDK
The mistakes aren't quantam physics problems - they're slices of Canadiana & very simple ones too
But the pattern isn't a good one. I don't think anyone can argue otherwise 

Last edited by unclefester (April 2, 2023 12:44 pm)

April 2, 2023 6:53 pm  #11

Crouse is a hack.  He's full of himself, and overrated as a movie critic, or anything else.  Pretty good voice for radio, though.