sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 15, 2016 3:02 pm  #1

Is There An Original Idea Left On TV?

Normally I wouldn't post something about network TV here, but this one is just too much.

CBS has announced it's planning to launch a new modern version of The Honeymooners, the 1956 classic starring Jackie Gleason. But Gleason (and Art Carney for that matter) is long gone and if there was ever a show that was star dependent or of its time, it's this one.

They plan to have a divorced couple remarry, I guess to make it more contemporary. Can't wait to hear the P.C. crowd react to Ralph threatening to send Alice "to the moon." That's bound to go over well. The comments section on this one is hilarious, with some suggesting the Ed Norton character will have to be translated into a transsexual corporate executive named Edwina.

I'm now convinced that there are absolutely no new ideas at any of the American TV networks, and this season is no exception, with MacGyver and Hawaii Five-0 being perfect examples. What's next? The Munsters and Lost In Space? (Oh wait they already tried that first one, while Netflix is planning to resurrect the latter.) Fuller House, Gilmore Girls. The Odd Couple. Everything old is new again. Just not as good. 

Need more proof? From the article:

"Already in the works this season are reboots of Car Wash (ABC), Sneakers (NBC), Enemy of the State (ABC), Dynasty (The CW), War of the Worlds (MTV), Magnum P.I. (ABC), The Lost Boys (CW), Varsity Blues (CMT), The Departed (Amazon), Let the Right One In (TNT) and L.A. Lawamong many others.".

They do it because they know you already know the premise and it take less to promote it. But you've seen it before and the original is almost always better. Got an idea for a new show? Take it to the more adventurous world of cable. There's almost no originality left at the Big Four. 

'The Honeymooners' Reboot in the Works at CBS 

December 15, 2016 3:28 pm  #2

Re: Is There An Original Idea Left On TV?

Is radio any different?

You're assuming that millennials and whatever the generations are now called want to watch television from your childhood. Sure, those people exist -- they sit in Starbucks, on their laptops, listening to in-store jazz wearing sockless sandals and drinking a Triple, Venti, Half Sweet, Non-Fat, Caramel Macchiato Decaf, Soy Latte With An Extra Shot And Cream as they ponder a universe without standalone toenail clipping mobile salons run by mute midgets who drink Tall, Half-Caff, Soy Latte At 120 Degrees Non-Fat Frappuccino With Extra Whipped Cream And Chocolate Sauce

December 15, 2016 4:30 pm  #3

You lost me at the extra whipped cream.

December 15, 2016 7:05 pm  #4

No.  Nor a creative one.

Well.. ... ...what did you expect?  Looks who OWNS the media.  The 'topics' of concern.

"Freedom of speech.  As long as you don't say too much."

December 15, 2016 7:08 pm  #5

Glen Warren wrote:

You lost me at the extra whipped cream.

Lost me at Starbucks.

I am Here, just not all there.

December 15, 2016 7:54 pm  #6

Old Codger wrote:

Looks who OWNS the media.

The illuminati? The Colonel? The Triumvirate? All of a sudden, this is an episode of C2C.

(waiting for another vitriolic diatribe about the evil corporations)

December 18, 2016 10:22 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

CBS has announced it's planning to launch a new modern version of The Honeymooners, the 1956 classic starring Jackie Gleason. But Gleason (and Art Carney for that matter) is long gone and if there was ever a show that was star dependent or of its time, it's this one.

I'm now convinced that there are absolutely no new ideas at any of the American TV networks, and this season is no exception, with MacGyver and Hawaii Five-0 being perfect examples. Need more proof? From the article:

"Already in the works this season are reboots of Car Wash (ABC), Sneakers (NBC), Enemy of the State (ABC), Dynasty (The CW), War of the Worlds (MTV), Magnum P.I. (ABC), The Lost Boys (CW), Varsity Blues (CMT), The Departed (Amazon), Let the Right One In (TNT) and L.A. Lawamong many others.".

There's almost no originality left at the Big Four. 

'The Honeymooners' Reboot in the Works at CBS 

And now, just days after making my original point, comes this almost mind boggling idea.

All in the Family, Other Norman Lear Classics Eyed for Short-Run Reboots

"The idea currently being discussed by Lear and Sony executives would be to have new actors recreate classic episodes of the shows, working from the original scripts, and package them as short, six-episode anthologies. The scripts would be treated similar to plays being mounted in new productions."

Can't wait to see who they pick to try and replace Carroll O'Connor as Archie. This has disaster written all over it.  

December 19, 2016 3:27 am  #8

Gloria Estefan has been chosen to sing the theme song for an all new One day at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1tekbfDSjg</video>

Last edited by Radiowiz (December 19, 2016 3:28 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 21, 2016 1:36 am  #9

It's too bad TV isn't looking at the past to create something new instead of only focusing on reboots.
Here's an example of something "new" based on something old...

https://youtu.be/D98aB3CtcW8

December 21, 2016 8:52 am  #10

May 16, 2022 10:50 pm  #11

So now the latest thing.
A Married with Children reboot. Original cast and all!
How?
It will be a cartoon!!   https://deadline.com/2022/05/married-with-children-animated-series-original-cast-revival-1235023019/

May 17, 2022 7:22 am  #12

Those Adult Wednesday Adams videos are dark but quite enjoyable.

May 17, 2022 9:52 am  #13

And the beat goes on. One show NBC has greenlighted as a definite series next fall is "Quantum Leap," a sequel to the original with Scott Bakula. He's not scheduled to be in it (other than those using the technology to try and find him lost in time), but the original concept is virtually the same. 

And you'll also be getting a revival of Night Court, with John Larroquette recreating his role from the original sitcom.

On the other side, the L.A. Law revival, noted in the very first post of this thread way back in 2016, is off. It's taken all this time, but ABC passed on the pilot, even though some of the original cast members were willing to return. 

On broadcast TV, it seems, everything old is new again. 

May 17, 2022 10:23 am  #14

One question. What ever happened to the lauded Frasier re-boot ?  

Last edited by BossRadio (May 17, 2022 10:23 am)

May 18, 2022 9:06 am  #15

BossRadio wrote:

One question. What ever happened to the lauded Frasier re-boot ?  

Kelsey Grammer continues to talk about this for Paramount+, but co-stars like David Hyde-Pierce and Bebe Neuwirth say they know nothing about it. So it's a work in progress that may never see the light of day. But as long as Grammer remains interested, I suppose it will never be totally dead. 

Speaking of tired ideas, CBS has greenlighted yet another reality show for the fall - it's "The Real Love Boat," which uses that old ABC concept to bring real couples together. I hated the Love Boat and I think reality shows are killing TV. So I can't wait to ignore this one on Wednesday nights! 

May 18, 2022 4:46 pm  #16

RadioActive wrote:

Speaking of tired ideas, CBS has greenlighted yet another reality show for the fall - it's "The Real Love Boat," which uses that old ABC concept to bring real couples together. I hated the Love Boat and I think reality shows are killing TV. So I can't wait to ignore this one on Wednesday nights! 

Read an article (https://variety.com/2022/film/news/wonder-twins-movie-canceled-hbo-max-1235254892/) today about Discovery cancelling some WB projects and it mentioned that TBS and TNT are dropping scripted programming altogether. I don't imagine that they had much up until now, but now none at all.

From article:
To that end, [i]Variety exclusively reported[/url] that Discovery is exploring a significant overhaul of the DC Entertainment operations, while also exclusively reporting that the WarnerMedia-owned cable networks TBS and TNT will [url=https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/tnt-tbs-scripted-programming-development-scrapped-warner-bros-discovery-1235241348/]no longer be developing scripted programming.[/i]

May 18, 2022 4:56 pm  #17

RonaldS wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Read an article (https://variety.com/2022/film/news/wonder-twins-movie-canceled-hbo-max-1235254892/) today about Discovery cancelling some WB projects and it mentioned that TBS and TNT are dropping scripted programming altogether. I don't imagine that they had much up until now, but now none at all.

From article:
To that end, [i]Variety exclusively reported[/url] that Discovery is exploring a significant overhaul of the DC Entertainment operations, while also exclusively reporting that the WarnerMedia-owned cable networks TBS and TNT will [url=https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/tnt-tbs-scripted-programming-development-scrapped-warner-bros-discovery-1235241348/]no longer be developing scripted programming.[/i]

The same company is promising to completely overhaul CNN, including a pledge to become less one sided and return to its roots as a non-partisan news source. We'll see if that happens.

“At a time where the extremes are dominating cable news, we will seek to go a different way, reflecting the real lives of our viewers and elevating the way America, and the world, views this medium...We intend to challenge the traditional philosophy of cable news, delivering programming and commentary that questions the status quo, shatters groupthink, holds, our leaders on both sides of the aisle accountable to facts and fights fearlessly to get to the truth.” 

New CNN Head Chris Licht Explains Plans for Network

June 29, 2022 9:22 am  #18

Resurrecting this very old thread because of this story: a greenlight for an "updated" Who's The Boss, starring Tony Danza and a now grown-up Alyssa Milano. This was never a show I watched but to have it rise from the TV crypt seems especially sad. 

The only thing I can see it has going for it is that it's going to be produced by the 90-something Norman Lear, the man behind "All In The Family," "Good Times," "Maude" and other classic genre-changing TV shows in the 70s.  

"Set 30 years after the events of the original series, the sequel will focus on former Major League Baseball player/retired housekeeper Tony Micelli (Danza) and his relationship with his daughter Samantha (Milano). She is now a single mother, living in the family house. In line with Lear’s classic shows, the new comedy will explore generational differences, as well as opposing worldviews and parenting styles within the dynamic of a modern family in 2022."

If it goes ahead - and it seems likely - it will air on Amazon Freevee, the successor to IMDBtv, which is a free TV streaming service that you can watch in Canada with a VPN. 

You have to wonder if they realize that if they keeping rebooting old shows, there won't be any new ones to remake in the future. 

Which just proves, I suppose, that everything new is old again. 

‘Who’s The Boss?’ Sequel Starring Tony Danza & Alyssa Milano In Works At Freevee

June 30, 2022 12:05 pm  #19

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1542538250010648576t=0XSCRQvmxKLuHmtkB3A_MA&s=19

It's not just tv, movies are roll roll rerolling stories, giving the audience the been there, Dune that vibe, and a certain Blue Oyster Cult tune may be required.

July 26, 2022 4:20 am  #20

After all these years (a good 15 or so) King of the Hill has a very good chance of returning.  
Source: https://movieweb.com/king-of-the-hill-revival-very-good-chance-happening-mike-judge/

Looks like they're sticking with the original concept also and not messing around with new ideas, like an older Hank (Retired) and the son being the King now...that would have been interesting, maybe? 
I guess when a cartoon "ain't broke" don't fix it. lol

July 29, 2022 8:18 pm  #21

Finally, a reboot I might actually want to see. It's a relic of the 80s and I hope they don't ruin it by trying to update it too much, but the cult classic "Max Headroom" is returning to AMC, with Matt Frewer reprising his role as the computer-generated character.

The series was a devastating look at the media and it did not last long on ABC. It was way too far ahead of its time, especially for network TV in those days (although it was said to take place "20 minutes into the future") and the stories back then were terrific. 

No word yet on a premiere date, but hopefully they pull it off and it will be as good as the old one. 

‘Max Headroom’ Series Reboot Starring Matt Frewer In Works At AMC Networks