sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 22, 2023 11:06 am  #1

This New Canadian TV Show Could Be A Time Travelling Hit

It's not often you see me tubthumping a Canadian series, but this is one I'm actually looking forward to. It has a proven track record, having appeared on CBC French TV for several seasons and it posits an intriguing plot - what if you could go back in time and try to correct your mistakes? And what would happen when you returned to the present day?

That's the idea behind "Plan B," a new CBC series, which will bring the successful series to English Canada. According to a story in the Montreal Gazette, the show will stay true to its origins - it will be in English, but because it takes place in Montreal, will include snippets of dialogue en Francais.  

"While the Montreal feel was important, the ultimate goal was to make an enthralling show that would hook audiences with the nifty concept of a guy who opens the door of his house one night, is literally picked up and carted off by two strange fellows from a service called Plan B and is sent off time-travelling. Ultimately, it’s a show about the always-fascinating idea of being able to go back and change decisions you made in your life."

If this sounds like something worth sampling, you'll get your first look at it when it airs its first episode on Monday, Feb. 27th. Episodes will also be available on the network's Gem streaming service.

Take 2 for Plan B: CBC time-travel series keeps original's Montreal flavour

March 7, 2023 9:39 am  #2

Re: This New Canadian TV Show Could Be A Time Travelling Hit

I've been watching this since its premiere two weeks ago and I had high hopes for it, since I tend to enjoy time travel shows and it was a huge hit in Quebec for years. 

I'm "this" close to giving up on it. The characters aren't especially endearing or interesting, leaving the time travel gimmick to "correct past mistakes" the only interesting part of the show for me. So what did they do so far? They went two days back in the past one time in the first show - and last night's edition had no time travel at all. None in the entire hour. 

If you're going to do a show about going back to the past, it should be a weekly part of the program. Otherwise, it's just an ordinary drama involving two not particularly intriguing people. Next week is its last chance for me. Or I will be move from "Plan B" to "Plan C" - and watch something else. 

March 7, 2023 10:39 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

Next week is its last chance for me. Or I will be move from "Plan B" to "Plan C" - and watch something else. 

Thanks for the warning. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 8, 2023 10:50 am  #4

I was never a fan of Quantum Leap. Neither the current 2022 version or the 1989-93 original. I would have zero interest in this Canadian time travel series.

March 8, 2023 11:23 am  #5

I am not much of a sci-fi fan but will likely give a look once or twice to Plan B just to see how it was done.  I don't watch or not watch a show because they are Canadian.  That's not the best way to view a program. 

Last night I saw the last half of City's new drama Wong and Winchester and it wasn't bad.  I thought at first it was a movie but then realized it was a series.  Similar to CTV's Spencer Sisters this mixes drama with a heavy bit of comedy.  Ambitious program for City and I noticed they are really hyping the upcoming Canada's Got Talent with lots of promo. 

CGT did fairly well for City in the ratings last year.

One show that doesn't get much traction it seems is CBC's Canada's Ultimate Challenge.  This program is well done but isn't being promoted well and I have a feeling the ratings are low.  What get's me is how hard the challenges are.  Some have been brutal.  Donovan Baily is one of the coaches and he is all business. 

March 8, 2023 11:25 am  #6

My brother used to love the "Time Tunnel" on ABC in the 60s. For some reason, I was never into it. The trailers look good, though - if a little dated.

September 20, 2023 1:49 pm  #7

Well, this is a change. CBC is bringing back its somewhat erratic time travel series "Plan B," which I actually did finish watching last season. 

But like FX's American Horror Story, they're introducing an entirely new cast and a completely different storyline than before, which, as I recall, never really tied up any loose ends. 

Not sure if this is the best strategy - anyone who watched it last year and stayed the entire season likely expected to find out what happened to the lead characters. To completely change the narrative and start all over again may be CBC's "Plan B," but it's not terribly fair to those who stuck with it all last year. 

Maybe they'll come back because the actors' strike has left so little new material to watch. But to me, it's a real disservice to viewers of the first year's series. 

So what's this second installment about? You can find the synopsis and the casting changes here.