sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 7, 2023 8:29 am  #1

Do Electric Vehicles Cause Radio Interference For Other Nearby Cars?

Some radio advocates are now making allegations that electric vehicles not only cause problems for AM reception, but could transmit that interference to cars that are nearby. The story is the second one down in the linked article, and if true, could bring the "no AM in EVs" back on the front burner, at least in the U.S. 

I believe there are laws about how much RF you're allowed to emit and it's not supposed to have an effect beyond a certain range. If that is what's happening, then it could conceivably force electric automakers to fix the problem, paving the way for AM in all future vehicles. 

"In a nutshell, if EVs cause enough interference to cause in-car reception problems, they are potentially creating interference outside the car as well … which is illegal."

The article also worries that manufacturers are thinking of removing FM, as well, forcing owners to go to more expensive data consuming apps to steam radio in their cars - or worse, tune out the conventional medium entirely. And the U.S. government may well have something to say about that. 

See the story under the headline "Fighting Back."

March 7, 2023 9:37 am  #2

Re: Do Electric Vehicles Cause Radio Interference For Other Nearby Cars?

Meh.  Depending on where you live and when you travel, this is irrelevant.  There haven't been any AM stations in Northeastern Ontario for many years.  There's one in North Bay (terrible signal quality) and a couple CBC rebroadcasters here and there, but that's it. 

March 7, 2023 9:39 am  #3

Re: Do Electric Vehicles Cause Radio Interference For Other Nearby Cars?

How would you feel then about losing FM or having no access to traditional broadcast radio at all in your car? That's a "no sale" for me, but your mileage (see what I did there?) may vary.