sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 6, 2023 11:40 am  #1

SiriusXM Hit By Almost 500 Layoffs

Some 475 people are out of work as subscriptions slow and car sales slump. You can read the carefully worded memo the CEO wrote to employees at the link below.

Radio company SiriusXM cuts workforce by 8%

March 6, 2023 12:19 pm  #2

Re: SiriusXM Hit By Almost 500 Layoffs

Imagine being an SiriusXM employee praying that "the phone call/e-mail" doesn't come today. If not today, maybe tomorrow? Not a fun situation to be in.

March 6, 2023 10:49 pm  #3

I'm a subscriber.  There are stations I really enjoy.  However, every year when it's time to renew my subscription, I immediately ask for loyalty and negotiate a much better price.

March 7, 2023 12:32 am  #4

Ironically I cancelled my service last week, and it wasn’t easy.  I have had satellite radio since, shortly after the U.S. launch, originally I was part of the team that brought the service to Canada. So, I have had the service since the early 2000's.  I was handed from person to person each of them trying to convince me not to cancel.    I was told to download an “app” to my Electric Vehicle.  (There is no app).  I told the “loyalty rep” that was impossible.  But he continued to argue with me.  You cannot add “apps” to the touchsreen or the audio system of my vehicle.  Then I was offered a new radio (add-on) for my car.  I know from previous experience that there is no bluetooth or direct connect or fm work-around for my car.  What I found odd, was that the loyalty department should have known “better”.  This isn't rocket science.  Everyone sounded as if they were working “offshore”.   There are well over a million of the EV model that I own, on the road in North America.  (Probably 2 million of this particular EV model are in the U.S. and Canada) You’d have thought that sirius/xm management would have addressed the issue, or at least “saw it coming”.  To be clear, this is due to Sirius/XM NOT having made a deal with the car maker to include the chipset and electronics in their vehicles.   So I fully appreciate that their business is starting to falter, particularly if folks like myself can no longer access the service in our cars.  The reality is that I have found a lot of other content to listen to in my EV,  which is to my taste.  It is a very competitive market and I don’t have much confidence in SiriusXM’s management.   The loyalty dept rep suggested that I could "stream" via my cellphone.  Hell will freeze over before I fork out an additional $40 bucks a month to Robbers Mobile for that much data....

Last edited by tvguy (March 7, 2023 11:30 am)