sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 6, 2023 11:08 am  #1

The Two Most Unlikely Products To Make Unforgettable TV Commercials

I admit it - I haven't really watched a TV commercial in years, thanks first to VCRs and then to DVRs. An hour long show can be watched in just under 45 minutes if you skip through the spots. So it's easy to forget that, beyond the Super Bowl mega-ads, there were a few in years past that were completely unforgettable. 

And they weren't for fancy sports cars or glitzy new electronics. Instead, they were a rather unremarkable but popular vehicle and a stomach ache remedy. I recently came across these examples of "how to do it" on YouTube (because it seems to have digitized my entire past) and it reminded me of how memorable they were. Indeed, it's been decades and to this day, I've never forgotten any of them. 

The first set was for Volkswagen, hardly a sexy car like a Jaguar or a Mustang. But their "Last Will and Testament" spot has stayed with me all these years, especially the part where the rich old uncle says "I leave nothing, nothing, nothing!"

Then there was the one that asked the question I still wonder about to this day: how does the guy who drives the snowplow get to the snowplow? (I honestly doubt it was in a Beetle, but hey, that's creative licence.)

The other unexpected great? Alka Seltzer. This one is perhaps their most famous ever and one of my favourites - the fake spaghetti commercial where everything goes wrong. What a classic and I especially love the ending. 

Then there's this one, which became something of a catchphrase. I can't believe I watched the whole thing!

And last but certainly not least, the new wife looking through a cookbook. I've always wanted to try marshmallowed meatballs...

March 6, 2023 1:58 pm  #2

Re: The Two Most Unlikely Products To Make Unforgettable TV Commercials

The amazing and amusing ads from Stan Feberg. The one I remember: The Protesting Stomach.

Last edited by The Weed (March 6, 2023 2:00 pm)

March 6, 2023 2:24 pm  #3

I still get a kick out of the slap-chop commercial. “You’re going to love my nuts

https://youtu.be/UxGn2Egekic

And don't forget the remix to this

https://youtu.be/UWRyj5cHIQA

March 6, 2023 3:50 pm  #4

The Weed wrote:

The amazing and amusing ads from Stan Feberg. The one I remember: The Protesting Stomach.

Freberg was a genius. How can you forget his classic for Jeno's Pizza Rolls, which featured two memorable cameos at the end of the spot?

Back to Alka-Seltzer for a minute. One of the spots' soundtracks actually wound up on the charts as an instrumental hit back around 1967. It was the T-Bones (really members of the Wrecking Crew) with "No Matter What Shape Your Stomach's In."

March 6, 2023 8:48 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

The Weed wrote:

Freberg was a genius. How can you forget his classic for Jeno's Pizza Rolls, which featured two memorable cameos at the end of the spot?

Back to Alka-Seltzer for a minute. One of the spots' soundtracks actually wound up on the charts as an instrumental hit back around 1967. It was the T-Bones (really members of the Wrecking Crew) with "No Matter What Shape Your Stomach's In."

This song peaked at #28  the last week of December 1965 on the CHUM Chart and #3 on the Hot 100 in February 1966.

March 6, 2023 8:53 pm  #6

Thanks for the correction. I thought it was 1967. It wasn't as great as Alka-Seltzer's future commercials, but it certainly made an impression.