sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2023 6:23 pm  #1

The Usual Crowd Back On Top Of Buffalo Radio Ratings

The numbers for January 2023 (12+) are out and, with apologies to Led Zeppelin, the song remains the same. 

WBLK is on top followed by traditional market leader WYRK and then WRGF. What's interesting about the list is that there isn't a single Top 40 or Adult Contemporary music station in the top 5, with WTSS being the closest at #6. 

You can check out the numbers here, with the 2023 results on the right-hand side of the chart. 

March 5, 2023 6:30 pm  #2

Re: The Usual Crowd Back On Top Of Buffalo Radio Ratings

One thing I just noticed. They published the numbers for Dec. 2022, followed by January of 2023. If I read it correctly, that means Star 102.5 actually gained in audience numbers once they stopped playing all that endless Christmas music in the holiday season. The station went from a 5.5 in the all-Yule-all-the-time month, to 6.2 when the tinsel was put away for another year. Make of that what you will. 

March 6, 2023 9:56 am  #3

WBEN has slipped down to 4th. Even though they no longer had the CFRB like numbers to rule the market, 930 was still able to be a top three station. Is this the start of a downward trend?  It would be interesting to see the Morning Drive ratings. Nice to see WECK climb into the top 10. Those three FM translators probably helped improved things a bit.

March 6, 2023 10:42 am  #4

I think WBEN may have been helped by that record breaking snowstorm that paralyzed the city for over a week. The station was live non-stop and I listened to it online for a bit - it was definitely a life saver for those in the cold and dark, buried by 7 feet(!) of snow. But there's no way they could have sustained that once the emergency passed.  

Another example of how an AM station came to the rescue in a time of disaster.