sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2023 3:09 pm  #1

If Rogers Insists On Simulcasting The TV Audio Of The Blue Jays...

The very least they could do is try to ensure they come back after a break on time. They were at it again on Sunday. Every half inning, the audio comes up halfway through a sentence or someone talking, and - as if you needed any more evidence - it's one of many reasons why television simulcasts on radio simply don't work.

I know they're not sending play-by-play voice Ben Wagner on the road for away games this year, but I sure hope they don't rely on this model very often. As stated frequently, radio and TV require different ways to call a game. It just does not work and it never will.  

March 5, 2023 3:28 pm  #2

Re: If Rogers Insists On Simulcasting The TV Audio Of The Blue Jays...

I couldn't agree with you more.  But how much money are they saving?
To hell with the listeners.
All Hail to the Share Holders!!!

March 5, 2023 3:49 pm  #3

Frankly, I can't see how they're saving very much money at all. The behind-the-scenes crew that does the regular radio broadcasts are on the road at their home base in Florida anyway. I suppose they don't have to travel with them, so that could save a few bucks. But it's really a drop in the bucket for such a large company. Unless they're hiring freelancers, but even then, it's a pittance overall. 

Perhaps they think no one is listening to spring games on the radio on the weekend, when many people are home in front of their TVs, so what difference does it make? But it makes a difference to me and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. 

It certainly shows they don't care about the on-air product, since "we join this program in progress" nonsense every half inning makes them sound awful. 

March 6, 2023 10:58 am  #4

I can tell you that at the grocery store where I am employed, the four butchers in the meat department are huge Jays fans. They listen to all the pre-season games. However, I'm the one who is always able to find the station for them.

March 6, 2023 11:11 am  #5

mace wrote:

I can tell you that at the grocery store where I am employed, the four butchers in the meat department are huge Jays fans. They listen to all the pre-season games. However, I'm the one who is always able to find the station for them.

That's good because Rogers is doing its best to butcher these spring broadcasts!

March 6, 2023 12:24 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

mace wrote:

That's good because Rogers is doing its best to butcher these spring broadcasts!

Sometimes the broadcasts are difficult to hear because of the static from the fluorescent lights in the cutting area.

March 6, 2023 1:36 pm  #7

We are fortunate in Ottawa as CityNews broadcasts on both AM and FM.  So we can hear the screw ups on both bands.

March 6, 2023 2:27 pm  #8

To carry Baseball does Rogers have a specialty license for that FM?

March 6, 2023 3:12 pm  #9

No, I don't think so.  They carry the same signal on both bands.  The FM station is licensed to Smiths Falls while the AM signal is in Ottawa.

March 6, 2023 3:53 pm  #10

If you have an HD Radio at home or in your car, the Fan's signal is available in FM quality on Kiss's 92.5-3.