sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 24, 2023 11:04 am  #1

T.O. Star Columnist Taking Over For 640's Alex Pierson On March Break

When Alex Pierson takes March Break (March 13-17) off, her replacement will be a guy known more for his printed words than his spoken ones. The 9-12 PM AM640 host confirmed on Friday that when she's gone for that week, Toronto Star columnist/reporter Ed Keenan, who recently returned to the city from a long assignment covering the U.S. from Washington. D.C., will be temporarily taking over the slot.

I'm not sure how much radio experience Keenan has, but it's sure to be an eye (and ear) opening experience for him. There are no rewrites and fact checking isn't always possible when you're freewheeling it on air. It will be worth tuning in just to see how he does. 

February 24, 2023 12:09 pm  #2

Re: T.O. Star Columnist Taking Over For 640's Alex Pierson On March Break

I'm pretty sure Keenan had a regular show on 1010 in the past.

February 24, 2023 12:10 pm  #3

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware he'd done this before. Did it last long?

February 24, 2023 12:17 pm  #4

I don't remember how long it lasted, but I think he was on there for several years.

February 24, 2023 12:19 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware he'd done this before. Did it last long?

He was a 1010 "fixture" for a while. He had a Sunday evening 10 pm show for a bit, and would do some holiday (i.e. Boxing Day or that "Christmas to New Year's week") fill-in for regular hosts. Circa 2015 at least in terms of timeframe, judging by his first appearance on the TM podcast (he's since returned a couple times).

February 24, 2023 12:23 pm  #6

Wow. What was I doing Sunday nights that I don't recall his show at all? Of course, this was when 1010 actually had live hosts on the weekend, instead of rerolls and podcasts. I guess I'll get my chance to hear how he does in March. 

February 24, 2023 12:33 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Wow. What was I doing Sunday nights that I don't recall his show at all? Of course, this was when 1010 actually had live hosts on the weekend, instead of rerolls and podcasts. I guess I'll get my chance to hear how he does in March. 

That Sunday 10 pm slot on 1010 has always been a revolving door of experiments and not necessarily well promoted with internal spots airing in daytime hours. David Eddy, for example, was 10 pm-2 am live for a while (Sundays through Thursdays), but they later cut that to just Sunday at 10 pm (around fall 2016).

The feeling I got was that Sunday evening was a relatively low-risk slot so they could try things (at least before all the Bell belt-tightening days and syndicated programming, simulcasts, best-of's, etc.) - Keenan and Eddy are two that I recall, but there must have been more. They even did "Talk Radio Idol" for a couple years Sunday evening on 1010, giving people a chance to try out their skills (whether would-be comedians, two chatty best friends, etc.).

February 24, 2023 12:41 pm  #8

I do remember David Eddie, primarily because he was (and still is) the husband of former City TV news anchor Pam Seatle. And yes, the show was OK, but it didn't last long.

February 24, 2023 1:36 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

I do remember David Eddie, primarily because he was (and still is) the husband of former City TV news anchor Pam Seatle. And yes, the show was OK, but it didn't last long.

Yes. Dave Eddie's a great writer - in Fall 2021 I remembered this "Toronto Life" piece he penned:

https://torontolife.com/life/leaving-toronto-seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time/

February 25, 2023 8:56 am  #10

Seeing the photo of Dave and Pam happily standing in a field immediately made me think of Green Acres. The only thing missing was the pitchfork. Burford could easily be Hooterville. However, their home is considerably nicer than Oliver and Lisa's humble abode.

March 17, 2023 9:31 am  #11

Ed Keenan began his stint on 640 Friday. I did recognize the voice, despite forgetting about his time on CFRB a few years ago. I believe Alex Pierson's off for the next week, so he's going to be getting a fair amount of exposure for the coming six days or so. 

There are several former or current columnists now gracing local radio, mostly as guest panelists. Keenan is one, as is Matt Gurney (CFRB), who once toiled for the National Post - and even had his own show for a while on 640. 

Anthony Furey, an ex-Toronto Sun columnist, appears a lot on the Corus talker, although that may be curtailed if he officially announces a run for Toronto mayor, as expected. And Robert Benzie from the Star takes the occasional air chair on 1010 Roundtables.

I sometimes hear Joe Warmington on Sauga 960, where he complains other stations refuse to allow him on their airwaves. 

And of course, the late Christie Blatchford was heard all the time on 'RB. 

So I guess the lesson is if you can't get a radio gig, get one on a newspaper - and it may well give you the chance to get behind a mic as well as a keyboard.