sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 20, 2023 2:29 pm  #1

Shouldn't Radio Really Be Live On Family Day?

Outside of a live local morning show on CFRB hosted by Jason Agnew and a nationwide broadcast of The Elias Makos Show from CJAD, as well as an early AM effort from Tim Denis on CKTB, all of the usual suspects on local radio were in rerun mode on Monday.

It can easily be argued that any potential audience may not have been in their cars going to work, with so many off for the made-up holiday, so why bring in a fully paid crew to do an actual show. And that's a fair point. But still, they were technically not eligible for overtime because it's not a stat and they were already being paid for the day, so it might not have cost the stations anything extra. 

Because "Family Day" is NOT a federal holiday. In fact, some places - like Quebec - don't celebrate it at all, which is why Makos was hard at work in La Belle Province in the first place. I received mail on Monday, also a federally regulated service, so the post office didn't get the day off. The CRTC's website was also updated on Monday, meaning their staff is in. Radio is also under the federal umbrella. So why did almost all of them get excused from working? 

Technically, if you work under federal legislation, you shouldn't really be getting the provincially created Family Day off. But almost all of the radio types in this town did. Even Vassy Kapelos' national show is a reroll. And she gets into areas of the country where this holiday doesn't even exist. 

I'm not begrudging the fine folks who toil in the salt mines of broadcasting an extra bonus holiday. But I'm not sure if they were actually entitled to one under the rules. Talk about getting the best of both worlds.

February 20, 2023 2:39 pm  #2

Re: Shouldn't Radio Really Be Live On Family Day?

Today is Family Day in B.C. Alberta, Ontario, Saskatchewan and New Brunswick. In Manitoba today is Louis Riel Day. It is Heritage Day in Nova Scotia and Islander Day in P.E.I.

February 20, 2023 3:08 pm  #3

I didn't know The Rush would be live on Family Day on RB, with Tim Hudak and Deb Hutton. First real married couple to be on together hosting a show on the station since The Motts.   

February 20, 2023 3:19 pm  #4

TV seemed to be business as usual today except for City tv.  CTV, CBC, CP24, CHCH and I think Global all had their live regular morning shows on. Global News Morning was listed on my tv's schedule but I couldn't rewind to confirm the show was on at 6am.  Didn't check any of the FM stations to see what they were doing this morning. 

February 20, 2023 3:47 pm  #5

CFTO did a noon news show. Global did not. 

February 20, 2023 5:24 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

I didn't know The Rush would be live on Family Day on RB, with Tim Hudak and Deb Hutton. First real married couple to be on together hosting a show on the station since The Motts.   

The who?  Are they in a witness protection program somewhere with Ryan Doyle and Scott MacArthur?

February 20, 2023 5:43 pm  #7

Walter wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

The who?  Are they in a witness protection program somewhere with Ryan Doyle and Scott MacArthur?

Turns out they've been horsing around all this time.

February 20, 2023 6:53 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Walter wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Turns out they've been horsing around all this time.

Maybe Doyle and MacArthur are stable boys.

February 21, 2023 3:38 am  #9

The obsession with this topic eludes me but the national media companies embraced Family Day because it evens up the number of holidays with Quebec and the rest of the country. They have a provincial holiday that no one else gets.

February 21, 2023 9:01 pm  #10

Is this because "back in the day" radio people were discouraged from taking time off? 

I didn't even turn on a radio yesterday. 

I was with my family.....on family day, ha!