sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 18, 2023 1:01 am  #2

Re: K-LOVE 102.5 Toronto coming soon...

Radiowiz wrote:

What will become of 89.9 FM? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBKV_(FM)
Also, what does WDCX think of all this?  http://www.wdcxradio.com/

Air1

February 18, 2023 11:17 am  #3

Radiowiz wrote:

1) Buffalo not Toronto
2) Wait and see what Cumulus is up to first.

It would target Toronto. 

Last edited by RadioAaron (February 18, 2023 11:21 am)

February 18, 2023 11:42 am  #4

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

1) Buffalo not Toronto

It would target Toronto. 

Is K-LOVE out of Chateaugay NY making any inroads in Montreal and Cornwall?  This was the old 94.7 Hits FM that tried for years to have an impact across the border.  Does 102.5 Buffalo have much of a signal in Toronto anymore?  They should maybe concentrate on Hamilton, St. Catherine's, Welland, Niagara area where the signal is consistent and strong.  Hamilton and south is considerably larger in population than Buffalo and area. Like the old WYUL Hits FM, it's hard to appeal and build an audience if the signal isn't the greatest. 

February 18, 2023 12:33 pm  #5

They must have $ to spend, the K Love Network sponsors a race team in Nascar that won the Daytona 500 a few years ago. 

February 18, 2023 3:56 pm  #6

mic'em wrote:

They must have $ to spend, the K Love Network sponsors a race team in Nascar that won the Daytona 500 a few years ago. 

They DO have money to spend. DEEP pockets. They keep buying up radio stations all over the place.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 18, 2023 5:38 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

1) Buffalo not Toronto

It would target Toronto. 

Is K-LOVE out of Chateaugay NY making any inroads in Montreal and Cornwall?  This was the old 94.7 Hits FM that tried for years to have an impact across the border.  Does 102.5 Buffalo have much of a signal in Toronto anymore?  They should maybe concentrate on Hamilton, St. Catherine's, Welland, Niagara area where the signal is consistent and strong.  Hamilton and south is considerably larger in population than Buffalo and area. Like the old WYUL Hits FM, it's hard to appeal and build an audience if the signal isn't the greatest. 

They mostly don't participate in ratings. It's all about donations.

102.5 is pretty good in cars in Toronto, but you're right about the signal being better in the larger area. But with their unique model, they don't have to concentrate on any specific market. Anyone who can listen is equally valuable. A lot more potential ears north of the border for that signal though.

Last edited by RadioAaron (February 18, 2023 5:40 pm)

February 18, 2023 8:54 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

1) Buffalo not Toronto

It would target Toronto. 

Does 102.5 Buffalo have much of a signal in Toronto anymore?

Actually, I think they do. 102.5 is a "grandfathered" station, which means it's one of the few that was in existence before regs. forced most stations to have a maximum power of 50,000 watts. As a result, its 110,000 watts makes it one of the few Buffalo outlets on an increasingly crowded FM dial that gets into Toronto without much trouble. 

I can barely get any Buffalo FM stations here in Northern North York anymore, but WTSS is clear as a bell and very listenable, if that's the kind of music you like. 

The station was once known here as WBEN-FM, aka Rock 102, the automated Top 40 outlet that drew a lot of ears from Toronto at its brief height in 1973 using the TM Stereo Rock syndicated format. It was such a success with GTA listeners that it drew complaints to the CRTC from stations here, primarily because a large number of advertisers found more bang for their buck across the border where ad rates were cheaper - and they were reaching local listeners here. 

It got so bad that it helped inspire the ruling that tried to discourage Canadian advertisers from being able to run spots on American radio stations. And much to the station's annoyance, it was eventually banned from being listed in the BBM ratings, despite getting a lot of ears here. And that drew this unprecedented response from the guy who ran the place at the time. 

By 1978, it heated up so much that the CRTC ordered cable companies here to stop carrying Rock 102 on their systems. I think this was terrible overreach by the Commission, trying to protect Canadian stations by censoring an American one. That's not right - listeners should have the choice to tune in whatever they want. But that's more of an old argument for another thread. I will say I'm not sure any Buffalo radio station has ever encountered so many cross-border prohibitions as this one. 

I, for one, will be sorry to see such a powerful signal given over to a religious broadcaster if that's what happens. They can be successful through fundraising and advertising, but in the end, barely anyone listens to that format. And what a waste of wattage - super-powered wattage, at that.

February 18, 2023 9:27 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

I, for one, will be sorry to see such a powerful signal given over to a religious broadcaster if that's what happens. They can be successful through fundraising and advertising, but in the end, barely anyone listens to that format. And what a waste of wattage - super-powered wattage, at that.

They don't sell advertising.

And I think we can't say hardly anyone listens to the format. K-LOVE generally doesn't participate in ratings, but they make huge money through listener donations. Those don't come without a solid listener base. In markets where other operators do participate in ratings, the fromat often does quite well. KCMS Seattle is #8 6+, ahead of both of the market's CHRs and Country stations. KWPZ in northern Washington gets good numbers in Vancouver.

I'd never listen to K-LOVE 102.5, but WTSS is a shell of a radio station and EMF is a good operator.

Last edited by RadioAaron (February 18, 2023 9:28 pm)

February 18, 2023 9:43 pm  #10

Still hate to see such a wonderful signal used for such a (sorry, but it's true) boring format.  

February 19, 2023 12:47 am  #11

RadioActive wrote:

Still hate to see such a wonderful signal used for such a (sorry, but it's true) boring format.  

WDCX @ 99.5 FM has served Buffalo area for what seems like forever. 
Is K Love a threat?

February 19, 2023 11:35 am  #12

Interestingly, WDCX is also a grandfathered station, and also broadcasts at 110,000 watts of power. Which is why it comes in here in Toronto. It would be extremely odd to have two such high powered monsters with the same kind of programming on in the same market. But I guess stranger things have happened. Or may be about to. 

February 19, 2023 12:31 pm  #13

A big reason that Rock 102 was popular here and in Buffalo was the fact it was easy to record the music and make tapes.  No announcers or talk, dead air in between songs so recording the whole tune was easy, no talking over intros of songs and few commercials.  Best of all the music was in sets of three and in stereo. 

The station itself sounded dreadful to my ears and really wasn't a radio station at all, just a juke box.  In terms of the actual music, yes they did play the hits and they also played a lot of mediocre music as well. 
http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/wbenfm-76.mp3

In terms of all of the "cross border prohibitions" let's be clear.  If any Toronto station had been actively soliciting advertising in Buffalo, a much smaller city that was in deep decline in the 70's, the FCC would have stepped in quickly.  The FCC regulations are protective of territory and any outside station, especially from another country impacting revenue in a depressed market would have dealt with promptly. 

Toronto and Southern Ontario were booming economically in the 70's and Toronto radio had no interest in selling to Buffalo or WNY, especially at deep discounted rates.  Toronto broadcasters and the CRTC had every right and a duty to protect their turf.  Buffalo and the FCC would have done the same. 

Finally, I am suspicious after the initial flurry of listening in Southern Ontario how popular Rock 102 actually was here.  Reading BBM ballots twice in the early 80's when WBEN had become a real radio station and much slicker with decent announcers, the station showed very poorly in the ratings with only a couple of ballots filled out.  CHUM FM, Q107, CKFM, CHFI, FM 96, CHAY, CKGL and a few others all were way ahead of Rock 102.  The most popular Buffalo station was WYRK which was country music. 

However all of the above is not to say that WBEN FM wasn't popular for a time in Toronto and Southern Ontario.  It definitely was. It is odd though when the generous the tax write offs were discontinued for advertisers advertising on WBEN, the ads stopped.   Any business person would have continued with some advertising on a station if they were getting results whether there was a write off or not, and the ads were not expensive.  This didn't happen.  So the "better bang for the buck" claim is also questionable. 

February 19, 2023 3:51 pm  #14

I only knew Rock 102 in it's Magic 102 days...up against Kiss 98.5.

The last time there was a station in Canada targeting Buffalo NY was back when WILD 101 in Niagara falls launched as a station.  The CRTC gave them crap for it.  They later got in trouble for simulcasting 105.1 FM, but that's another story. 

February 19, 2023 3:54 pm  #15

If you wanted to listen to "The Hits" back then in stereo, 102.5 was your only option until WKSE  arrived in September 1984. If you wanted Top 40 in Canada, you were stuck with AM because of the 49% hit rule imposed by the CRTC on FM stations. It was my go to station for a large part of the '70's because of this rule.

February 19, 2023 4:12 pm  #16

I have absolutely no memory where I got this T-shirt. 

February 19, 2023 5:15 pm  #17

We need to remember as well that FM album rock mid 70's to mid 80's was more popular than top 40 FM radio. Likely because AM was still a factor playing the hits here and across the lake.  Advertisers liked the album rock format since listeners tended to listen for long periods of time. Stations like CHUM FM and Q107 were doing very well in the ratings in the early 80's.  They attracted the right demo and lots of hours tuned.   

February 19, 2023 7:42 pm  #18

RadioActive wrote:

Star 102.5 is the dictionary definition of boring.

February 19, 2023 7:59 pm  #19

Maybe, and they're not my taste, either. But the Dec. 2022 Nielsens had it 6th overall in the ratings with a 5.5, 12+. Not great, but someone's listening to it. I very much doubt if a religious format would do as well in a 25-station market. 

February 19, 2023 8:15 pm  #20

And I wonder how many people would donate to Star 102.5 to keep it on the air. Probably about zero. Ratings are just one measure of impact.

I'm not Christian, and would never listen to it, but it's probably a better use of the frequency.

Last edited by RadioAaron (February 19, 2023 8:16 pm)

February 19, 2023 8:17 pm  #21

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Star 102.5 is the dictionary definition of boring.

In today's times, yes. I used to love the Saturday night Retro Mix on the late great Q102. 
It aired back in 1994. Live and local too.  
They could have just as easily tossed on Gary Spears, but they didn't...instead, that was the Sunday night retro mix, which was vt'd and aired coast to coast.

February 19, 2023 11:10 pm  #22

Bill Dulmage wrote:

Before WKSE, there was a very brief run on 104.1 and 1120 AM - WNYS. What a hot sounding station it was. Funny how it didn't make it.

WNYS was an awesome CHR station.  Somewhat louder jocks and a tight mix of music too.  PJ Foxx and Bill Todd are who I remember

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 19, 2023 11:24 pm  #23

paterson1 wrote:

A big reason that Rock 102 was popular here and in Buffalo was the fact it was easy to record the music and make tapes.  No announcers or talk, dead air in between songs so recording the whole tune was easy, no talking over intros of songs and few commercials.  Best of all the music was in sets of three and in stereo. 

The station itself sounded dreadful to my ears and really wasn't a radio station at all, just a juke box.  In terms of the actual music, yes they did play the hits and they also played a lot of mediocre music as well. . 

I don’t know.  I think by 1979 and into 1980, the mix was quite good.  Mind you, I like some of the softer hits of the late 70s and 80s.  By 1981 through 1983, I’ll bet that aside from CFNY, some of the better earlier synth pop songs from the likes of Talk Talk, Thompson Twins, and lesser known but good songs from Naked Eyes (... Lights Go Out)  and ABC (Poison Arrow) were only heard on Rock 102 .... ahem.... Stereo Rock, in this market.  The sound quality was phenomenal for the time too.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 19, 2023 11:55 pm  #24

RadioActive wrote:

Interestingly, WDCX is also a grandfathered station, and also broadcasts at 110,000 watts of power. Which is why it comes in here in Toronto. It would be extremely odd to have two such high powered monsters with the same kind of programming on in the same market. But I guess stranger things have happened. Or may be about to. 

WDCX isn't really the "same kind of programming." Its schedule is almost entirely preaching and teaching programs, most of them in half-hour blocks provided by various ministries that give WDCX a cut of whatever donations come in from listeners in western New York and southern Ontario. 

K-Love is almost entirely music and is programmed in house by EMF out of studios in Nashville and Sacramento. 

While both stations fit under the general umbrella of "Christian radio," they're as different formatically as CFRB and CHFI.

February 20, 2023 12:51 am  #25

So what is going to happen to Star 102.5? I don't understand the article at all. Is Audacy selling Star 102.5? Does not make any sense to me.

February 20, 2023 1:20 am  #26

Here's the K-Love website if you'd like to get a sense of what they might be doing.

February 20, 2023 12:45 pm  #27

Jody Thornton wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

The station itself sounded dreadful to my ears and really wasn't a radio station at all, just a juke box.  In terms of the actual music, yes they did play the hits and they also played a lot of mediocre music as well. . 

I don’t know. I think by 1979 and into 1980, the mix was quite good. Mind you, I like some of the softer hits of the late 70s and 80s. By 1981 through 1983, I’ll bet that aside from CFNY, some of the better earlier synth pop songs from the likes of Talk Talk, Thompson Twins, and lesser known but good songs from Naked Eyes (... Lights Go Out) and ABC (Poison Arrow) were only heard on Rock 102 .... ahem.... Stereo Rock, in this market. The sound quality was phenomenal for the time too.

CHUM FM billed themselves as Toronto's Ultimate Rock and I don't recall how much of the new music or new wave they played. They must have played a fair bit since CHUM/City seemed invested in current music so much. 1050 CHUM was another story, they definitely played the artists and songs mentioned  above and many more.  Fall of 1979 until the end of 1983 the AM station focused on new music, new wave and some album cuts from new artists.  They were the only major AM station in North America doing this and other than CFNY were ahead of everyone else in the market for this style of music. 

February 20, 2023 12:56 pm  #28

paterson1 wrote:

CHUM FM billed themselves as Toronto's Ultimate Rock and I don't recall how much of the new music or new wave they played. They must have played a fair bit since CHUM/City seemed invested in current music so much. 1050 CHUM was another story, they definitely played the artists and songs mentioned  above and many more.  Fall of 1979 until the end of 1983 the AM station focused on new music, new wave and some album cuts from new artists.  They were the only major AM station in North America doing this and other than CFNY were ahead of everyone else in the market for this style of music. 

Well between 1982 and 1984, CHUM-FM went through that awkward conversion from AOR, to New Wave and then to a Hot AC like mix.  Then seemed to be settled in where they would stay by 1985.  They may have played a lot of the songs I mentioned (I never heard "It's My Life" by Talk Talk on EITHER of the two CHUM stations.  I did hear "Lies" by the Twins a couple times mind you.

But I'll give you your mono, dull 1050 CHUM back and keep my early 80s Rock 102, no matter what CHUM played (and I admit they played some distinct stuff throughout that period.  But I liked that on Stereo Rock automation, I'd get "Love On Your Side" by the Twins, right next to "Your Imagination" by Hall and Oates, or "Ain't Nobody" by Chaka Khan (even throw in some Patrice Rushen from 1982 - she was hard to find on radio this side of the border), next to ABC's "Poison Arrow".  It was an all over the place mix of music.  Plus, I didn't mind that it was an automated station, because back then, it wasn't common to hear music left alone that way without chatter.  So having a jukebox on the radio was unique.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 20, 2023 2:11 pm  #29

I do agree that Rock 102 was a much better station into the 80's than in the 70's.  Even more so when they had announcers and sounded more like a radio station.  Stereo is always better sounding than mono but in the early 80's  I was still listening to a lot of AM radio for music.  I guess part of this was the fact that most of my career was on AM rather than FM and I enjoyed the tempo and busier sound of AM radio.

The 1970's version of Rock 102 to me was not very interesting especially since they had no announcers or personality and their music was mediocre in my opinion with too much dead air.  I know lots of people liked this type of station, but it was not for me.  I wanted to get into announcing and programming so I didn't have a lot of reasons to tune in Rock 102.

Little did we know however that Rock 102 being automated back in the early 70's would sadly become the norm for a lot of stations today. 

February 20, 2023 4:50 pm  #30

Here's is a clip of some Rock 102 along with Q 107 and CHUM FM from 1986 and rock 102 plays the Psychedelic Furs and Q 107 some Chuck Berry!
Q107/Rock 102

BTW I remember reading in the Trouser Press about a AM station in Phoenix I think some time in the early 80's  playing all new wave in a Top 40 style. I looked for the small small piece in the Trouser Press but could not find. I do remember CHUM AM being all over new wave and have a few of their charts from the time up on the website and they certainly back up that assertion. The Ramones in the top 40 on AM.

Last edited by Fitz (February 20, 2023 4:50 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/