sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 18, 2023 8:28 pm  #1

Former Toronto Broadcaster Mourned

I have to admit a gap in my knowledge when it comes to James Fleming. He was a broadcaster for a time in Toronto, working as both a reporter and anchor for several local stations, including CHFI, doing their morning newscast at one point.

He was also one of the hosts of "Bright and Early," the very first CTV attempt at a morning show that would later be replaced by the more familiar "Canada A.M." This TV Guide listing is from 1966:

He decided to leave broadcasting, and was later elected as a Liberal MP and became a cabinet minister in Pierre Trudeau's government in the 70s. His obit says he quit politics about a decade later to return to "public radio" (whatever that means) and to write a column for the Toronto Sun. 

I'm sorry I don't remember the name, but I'm even more sorry to report that the former broadcaster passed away on Feb. 15th. He was 83. Anyone here remember him?

James Fleming Obit

February 18, 2023 8:59 pm  #2

Re: Former Toronto Broadcaster Mourned

I recall Jim Fleming on Toronto radio.  He worked for a short time with CFRB news  and then moved to CFTR (not CHFI) where he co-anchored the 8:00 AM news with Bill Gilmore another former CFRB newsman. They sounded great together but unfortunately could not compete with the likes of Jack Dennett (CFRB) and Pete McGarvey at CKEY.  

February 18, 2023 9:01 pm  #3

February 18, 2023 9:04 pm  #4

mojo55 wrote:

I recall Jim Fleming on Toronto radio.  He worked for a short time with CFRB news  and then moved to CFTR (not CHFI) where he co-anchored the 8:00 AM news with Bill Gilmore another former CFRB newsman. They sounded great together but unfortunately could not compete with the likes of Jack Dennett (CFRB) and Pete McGarvey at CKEY.  

Interesting, because the obit specifically refers to CHFI. But of course, they were both Rogers' stations, so it's possible he may have done double duty for both of them.

February 18, 2023 9:23 pm  #5

I see Pat Murray listed as a co-host on Bright and Early.  I worked with his son, Shawn in North Bay in the mid-1980s.  In fact, we were housemates for a time, during which his Dad died.  Shawn went on to work for CKO in Toronto.  I've lost track of him since then.  Does anyone know where he is and what he's doing?

February 18, 2023 9:34 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

mojo55 wrote:

Interesting, because the obit specifically refers to CHFI. But of course, they were both Rogers' stations, so it's possible he may have done double duty for both of them.

I just came back from walking the dog and it hit me - of course it was CHFI. The station didn't change its call letters to CFTR until 1971, by which time Fleming had left broadcasting for politics. So it would have been CHFI-AM where he worked at the time, which explains the confusion.