sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 14, 2023 2:27 pm  #1

Netflix almost assuredly has a problem regarding "Prime" location

If you're a 'normal' Netflix subscriber, watching your shows via a Smart TV, Roku, etcetera, you may be unaware of this detail of your account that is to be found via logging into your account on a PC/browser. It is the location where you're watching from. I would encourage you to do so at your earliest convenience.

1) Log in to your account then click-on your avatar to drop down the menu - select "Account"
2) Scroll down to the "Security & Privacy" section
3) Click on the "new" hotlink - "Manage access and devices"

What do you see when the page refreshes? I bet there's a very good chance that you do NOT see the city/town that you are actually located within.

I don't. I live in Sudbury and I see East York, London, and Owen Sound as being recent places that Netflix believes I have been watching from.

Click-on the "IP Address" link for any/all locations that are listed and take note that they are different or are the same in some instances.

This, I sincerely believe, is going to be a problem when Netflix puts into effect the "Primary Location" - their method of tracking viewing activity (that is supposedly) not occurring within the same household, and they will then want to charge you extra for doing so. Even if in fact you are not.

I have contacted their support three times over the last three days and today spoke with a supervisor after requesting to do so. That person is located in the Philippines and has no concept of how large an area Ontario is. But that doesn't matter. The fact that they believe I was in three different locations, regardless of how far apart they are, is the problem.

After speaking with their support, the supervisor did say they have been made aware of this by others (already) but need more evidence of this occurring. They are waiting for affected customers like myself, to call and register this issue with them. If you go through the steps I laid out and see the issue of which I speak, I would encourage you to call them as well. 

There is an express way to get through to an actual person. On your Smart TV app, or similar, navigate to the "Get Help" link, slect it then scroll down to "Contact us" - you will see their phone number as well as a service code. When you call the number, and after selecting the language of your choice, immediately enter the service code number (no # sign required) and you should be speaking to someone within thirty seconds. If I were you I would ask to speak with a supervisor right away. You'll need your email address associated to your account is all.

If anyone on the Big Yellow Board does this I will be interested in reading what they tell you.

I was told they are in the process of collecting information and given no timeframe of when they will respond.

Last edited by DeepTracks (February 14, 2023 4:02 pm)

February 14, 2023 4:26 pm  #2

Re: Netflix almost assuredly has a problem regarding "Prime" location

I think the issue may be that your ISP gateway may change from time to time.  I was on Bell DSL until last November, and did not have a static IP address. My IP address would change randomly, or if the router rebooted for any reason.  In order to access my security DVR remotely, I had to query my (new) IP address using "whatismyip". My location would sometime be shown as Innisfil, Ontario, near Barrie, whereas I'm really in North York. Now that I am on fibre to the premises, I'm no longer getting Innisfil as the location, but the IP address will invariably change from time to time.  The bottom line is that your IP address is not a foolproof way of locking down your physical location within a network.

February 14, 2023 5:25 pm  #3

I completely agree. Static IPs are I think rare as Dynamic works just fine for most apps.

This is what I'm seeing;

https://ibb.co/znQP1Fj][/url] check json error online

Last edited by DeepTracks (February 14, 2023 5:27 pm)

February 14, 2023 6:00 pm  #4

I wonder if you will be able to use VPN to get the American Netflix from now on?

February 14, 2023 7:50 pm  #5

I tried it once and they rejected my Canadian credit card

February 14, 2023 9:49 pm  #6

Hansa wrote:

I tried it once and they rejected my Canadian credit card

Sign up with VPN off with a Canadian credit card, THEN turn on the VPN. Netflix doesn't care where you're registered, they care where you are.

This should still work, you'll just need to enter a verification code when you login while on VPN and login once every 30 days from "home"