sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 12, 2023 5:55 pm  #31

Re: Toronto Mayor John Tory Steps Down

It's not often you see a newspaper get chastised by one if its (you should pardon the expression) "Star" columnists, but Rosie DiManno has taken her own employer to task in print, lamenting that the Toronto Star not only pursued the Tory story, but felt necessary to publish it at all. 

"News judgment, when and what to publish, is subjective, often heatedly debated in the top editors’ offices, and fortunately way above my paygrade. But I know, from more than four decades at the Star, that this paper, for all its progressive values – which I generally share – has, historically, a weird puritanical streak. 

"I don’t question the reporting, I question why it was published. Where is the public service in outing an intensely private matter that appeared to have no political relevance, no legal shakiness, no employment inequity? And I ask that while honestly wondering why Tory stepped down so hastily, which might suggest there are further layers to the story, to which I’m not privy.

"I wouldn’t have run it, which is maybe why nobody has ever invited me to join management. The view is better down here anyway." 

John Tory should not have resigned as mayor
https://clearthis.page/?u=https://www.thestar.com/opinion/2023/02/12/john-tory-should-not-have-resigned-as-mayor.html

February 13, 2023 12:37 am  #32

https://twitter.com/dmrider/status/1624964861732978688?t=eY2fyj0kJ1m7Wv79AnG3aw&s=19

further developments from David Rider and a hint from John Moore?

https://twitter.com/MooreintheAM/status/1624799526631374848?t=t-i9kl-DtH_bm0wTt6wevQ&s=19

Last edited by betaylored (February 13, 2023 12:40 am)

February 13, 2023 11:35 am  #33

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 13, 2023 11:44 am  #34

A friend of mine pointed out another angle to this story - does this kill the budding radio career of the apparently soon-to-be former Mayor's son, John Tory Jr.? He spent three days last week co-hosting Jerry Agar's show, as he sat in for John Moore and he frequently turns up as a regular on The Roundtable. 

Can he make the same appearances now without this subject coming up? And what could he possibly say other than it's a family matter and he can't comment? But even though the son shouldn't bear the sins of the father, there's almost no way for him to escape the current drama roiling around his family. So it's possible he's collateral damage from what happened at City Hall and I wonder if we'll be hearing his voice again on CFRB anytime soon.

February 13, 2023 8:17 pm  #35

Just got a phone poll asking me if John Tory should stay or go. Obviously, he is reconsidering. 

February 13, 2023 8:24 pm  #36

John Tory's new theme song:

February 14, 2023 1:51 am  #37

RadioActive wrote:

As noted, this was a classic Friday night news dump. I can only picture the cell phones of staffers off for the weekend ringing off the hook, with producers telling them, "Get in here NOW!" Such is the life of a TV reporter. 

I thought the two talk radio stations in town, although mostly caught flatfooted by the timing, did the best they could. AM640 interrupted their Dani Stover "Let's Talk" rerolls with Alex Pierson and Jason Chapman and a few guests, which was better than nothing. 

While over on CFRB, Jim Richards went with the story all night. He and his producers managed to get a few good guests after 8:30 PM for comments. But my problem with him was he suffered from a form of verbal diarrhea, which was really on display at the very end of his "NewsTalk Tonight."

They managed to get just-returned-from-vacation morning man John Moore, Jerry Agar, Mark Towhey - who once worked in the mayor's office - and Reshmi Nair on the phones to comment on the stunning story. 

But instead of letting them talk, Richards proceeded to give an endless recap of a story that was now almost 3 hours old, leaving all the guests a chance to say one or two sentences before the show ended. I was honestly yelling at the radio, "Shut up and let them talk, already!" But he wouldn't. Even he admitted as he wrapped up for the night that he should have given them more time. 

I guess we'll have to wait until Monday to hear what they truly think. After all, they're not only pundits but friends of Tory, who worked at CFRB for years. So their insights and reactions would be especially interesting. If only we'd gotten the chance to hear them. 

I suspect the Star asked him for a quote as they were about to publish and he decided to get ahead of it.

February 14, 2023 6:21 am  #38

Tomas Barlow wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

As noted, this was a classic Friday night news dump. I can only picture the cell phones of staffers off for the weekend ringing off the hook, with producers telling them, "Get in here NOW!" Such is the life of a TV reporter. 

I thought the two talk radio stations in town, although mostly caught flatfooted by the timing, did the best they could. AM640 interrupted their Dani Stover "Let's Talk" rerolls with Alex Pierson and Jason Chapman and a few guests, which was better than nothing. 

While over on CFRB, Jim Richards went with the story all night. He and his producers managed to get a few good guests after 8:30 PM for comments. But my problem with him was he suffered from a form of verbal diarrhea, which was really on display at the very end of his "NewsTalk Tonight."

They managed to get just-returned-from-vacation morning man John Moore, Jerry Agar, Mark Towhey - who once worked in the mayor's office - and Reshmi Nair on the phones to comment on the stunning story. 

But instead of letting them talk, Richards proceeded to give an endless recap of a story that was now almost 3 hours old, leaving all the guests a chance to say one or two sentences before the show ended. I was honestly yelling at the radio, "Shut up and let them talk, already!" But he wouldn't. Even he admitted as he wrapped up for the night that he should have given them more time. 

I guess we'll have to wait until Monday to hear what they truly think. After all, they're not only pundits but friends of Tory, who worked at CFRB for years. So their insights and reactions would be especially interesting. If only we'd gotten the chance to hear them. 

I suspect the Star asked him for a quote as they were about to publish and he decided to get ahead of it.

He resigned an hour after the Star published its story (for which he had been contacted for comment)
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2023/02/11/moments-leading-up-to-john-torys-resignation-revealed.html

February 14, 2023 9:20 am  #39

I had no idea this had happened, but you have to wonder what John Tory was thinking in the moment. According to the National Post, Tory appeared on City TV's Breakfast Television early Friday morning, some 12 hours before his dramatic resignation speech that shocked the city. 

The question he was asked by the hosts - how are you planning to celebrate Valentine's Day. He responded with a typically jovial glib reply that this year, what "surprises" he was giving his wife would go "way beyond flowers."

I'd say he certainly got that right - only not in the way he probably ever intended.

February 14, 2023 9:52 pm  #40

Which talk radio station will be the first to use this obscure Sly & The Family Stone semi-hit (#12 on Billboard) from 1973 as an intro to the ongoing John Tory drama? (They'll probably need to start it around :20 secs. in to catch the vocal.)