sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 10, 2023 6:21 pm  #1

Feds Give Marching Orders To CRTC

Although it's technically not under the government's thumb, officials from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada will give the new-look CRTC a direction they believe the regulator should head in on Monday. Given that Bill C-11 will likely pass sooner than later, this normally dull affair may have a major effect on what you can see and hear over the web in the near future. 

Possibly worth keeping an eye on this one. 

Government of Canada to announce final direction to the CRTC

Proposed policy direction to the CRTC for competition, affordability, consumer rights and universal access

February 13, 2023 5:17 pm  #2

Re: Feds Give Marching Orders To CRTC

So here's what the Industry Minister has instructed the CRTC to do as it sets policy. (Not to be cynical - well, OK, exactly to be cynical - but where have we heard this before?)

• enhance wholesale Internet access and competition
  • increase mobile wireless competition
  • improve the reliability and resilience of services
  • improve consumer rights
  • speed up new infrastructure for universal access
  • proactively improve the accessibility of telecom services for Canadians with disabilities
  • build better regulations to better support Canadian consumers

Now that Ian "The Telco Lobbyist" Scott has been pried from the CRTC Chair chair, maybe, just maybe, it will actually happen this time. But I wouldn't hold my breath!

Minister Champagne announces final direction to the CRTC placing affordability and consumer rights at the forefront of its future decisions  

February 13, 2023 5:53 pm  #3

February 13, 2023 6:20 pm  #4

Wonder if the CRTC will force companies like Bell Media to hand back licenses for stations with strong signals like CKOC and CHAM which appear wasted with their current formats, possibly to avoid competition.

February 13, 2023 6:22 pm  #5

Broodcaster wrote:

Wonder if the CRTC will force companies like Bell Media to hand back licenses for stations with strong signals like CKOC and CHAM which appear wasted with their current formats, possibly to avoid competition.

They will not. 

February 13, 2023 6:23 pm  #6

But should it?

February 13, 2023 6:23 pm  #7

Broodcaster wrote:

But should it?

Nobody would want them anyway. It wouldn't have any effect.

February 13, 2023 6:39 pm  #8

It looks like their focus will be on wireless telephony, not radio or TV. Although they will have to implement - and interpret - the provisions of Bill C-11 when it's passed, and that's when the you-know-what may hit the fan.

February 13, 2023 6:51 pm  #9

Meh.

This has been in my Youtube feed lately. Labeled and segregated. The rest of my feed would be near impossible to inject with Cancon.

There's always a workaround

February 13, 2023 7:21 pm  #10

RadioAaron wrote:

Broodcaster wrote:

But should it?

Nobody would want them anyway. It wouldn't have any effect.

I disagree.  Someone with vision and aiming at an older audience might make those signals work for them as part of a bigger operation. But that would be competition!

February 13, 2023 7:27 pm  #11

No it wouldn't. The cost of operating a stand-alone AM in such a saturated market cannot be recovered with advertising. As for a bigger operation, there's only Durham and Corus in the market, and an AM doesn't make sense for either.

There will never be another successful English language new AM station.

February 13, 2023 7:35 pm  #12

Don't forget about the fabulously successful CFAJ 1220 in St. Catharines!

Why. one day, they might even have a sponsor!

February 13, 2023 7:38 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

Don't forget about the fabulously successful CFAJ 1220 in St. Catharines!

Why. one day, they might even have a sponsor!

I'm sure Bell's very concerned about its effects on Move and HTZ!

February 15, 2023 5:29 pm  #14

Back to the original point in this thread, at least it's a start...

CRTC to Force Big Telcos to Grant Faster Pole Access–to Increase Competition

February 25, 2023 8:36 pm  #15

I guess those "marching orders" won't have them moving in a straight line. I fear nothing will ever change in this country, despite the endless warnings about fewer choices, more control by the big telcos and endless expense for consumers.

Which leads me to think that the CRTC's true marching music is by K.C. & The Sunshine Band: "That's The Way I Like It." 

Canada’s small internet providers — and choice — are dying at the hands of Ottawa and the CRTC
https://clearthis.page/?u=https://www.thestar.com/business/opinion/2023/02/25/canadas-small-internet-providers-and-choice-are-dying-at-the-hands-of-ottawa-and-the-crtc.html 

February 25, 2023 8:52 pm  #16

As a direct result of Rogers being allowed to own Shaw, why doesn't Bell simply buy Telus? 
They've talked before, (back in 2007) maybe revisiting the idea will allow for a second monster company?
2007: https://www.investmentexecutive.com/news/research-and-markets/opening-bell-telus-confirms-merger-talks-with-bce/#:~:text=Telus%20Corp.,for%20release%20at%20noon%20ET.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 26, 2023 1:20 am  #17

Radiowiz wrote:

As a direct result of Rogers being allowed to own Shaw, why doesn't Bell simply buy Telus? 
They've talked before, (back in 2007) maybe revisiting the idea will allow for a second monster company?
2007: https://www.investmentexecutive.com/news/research-and-markets/opening-bell-telus-confirms-merger-talks-with-bce/#:~:text=Telus%20Corp.,for%20release%20at%20noon%20ET.

Not a chance that would be allowed. Rogers + Shaw with a Freedom spinoff have very little competitive overlap. Not so much for Bell + Telus.