sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 10, 2023 9:38 pm  #1

Toronto Mayor John Tory Steps Down

Toronto Star has reported that the mayor had a relationship with former staffer.  Mayor Tory just had a live 8:30pm announcement on all of the news channels to announce he was stepping down as mayor. Beyond his statement, Tory didn't take any questions.   More info from The Toronto Star..https://www.thestar.com/

Last edited by paterson1 (February 10, 2023 9:57 pm)

February 10, 2023 10:19 pm  #2

Re: Toronto Mayor John Tory Steps Down

Cable Guy Resigns.

February 10, 2023 10:23 pm  #3

Have to wonder if it’s just the affair, or if he’ll end up having some more Ford stink on him.

Savvy late Friday eve news dump.

Last edited by Holliday (February 10, 2023 10:24 pm)

February 10, 2023 10:34 pm  #4

Wow. I never would have expected that. He seemed so decent.

Last edited by turkeytop (February 10, 2023 10:36 pm)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

February 10, 2023 10:44 pm  #5

a late in life midlife crisis. 

February 10, 2023 10:48 pm  #6

This reminds me of former London mayor Matt Brown who had an affair with former deputy mayor Maureen Cassidy and the whole public was outraged and many people called for resignation of the former mayor. But still he was the mayor until 2018 when Ed Holder was elected as the new mayor London.

February 10, 2023 10:59 pm  #7

haydenmatthews14 wrote:

This reminds me of former London mayor Matt Brown who had an affair with former deputy mayor Maureen Cassidy and the whole public was outraged and many people called for resignation of the former mayor. But still he was the mayor until 2018 when Ed Holder was elected as the new mayor London.

Brown had a promising future ahead of him until that.

Someone once said "when the c**ks hard, the brain's soft.

February 10, 2023 11:07 pm  #8

He literally fucked around and found out

February 10, 2023 11:17 pm  #9

his wife was nowhere to be seen last year when he was re-elected. now it all makes sense. 

February 10, 2023 11:45 pm  #10

Could 1010 go one night without commercials??

February 11, 2023 12:11 am  #11

Perhaps Reshmi Nair for the afternoon "The Rush" on 1010 can now have a permanent co-host in Tory?

February 11, 2023 2:39 am  #12

AspectRatio wrote:

Perhaps Reshmi Nair for the afternoon "The Rush" on 1010 can now have a permanent co-host in Tory?

That's about the only way the show could be any worse.  Nair, who can't let anybody speak for more than 10 words without interrupting, with Tory, who can spend 20 minutes saying nothing without taking a breath.

February 11, 2023 10:52 am  #14

February 11, 2023 3:03 pm  #15

Walter wrote:

AspectRatio wrote:

That's about the only way the show could be any worse.  Nair, who can't let anybody speak for more than 10 words without interrupting, with Tory, who can spend 20 minutes saying nothing without taking a breath.

I heard Matt Gurney fill in a few days ago...really good.  In my view he should be made the permanent solo host of The Rush.

February 11, 2023 3:26 pm  #16

https://twitter.com/torontomike/status/1624438555899531266?t=VU5BnoP4zBMGgaa-lgga4g&s=19

Toronto Mike spoke with the Toronto Star reporter and here's the story of how everything went down.

February 11, 2023 3:36 pm  #17

JackofAll wrote:

I heard Matt Gurney fill in a few days ago...really good.  In my view he should be made the permanent solo host of The Rush.

I was pleasantly surprised of what I heard of Gurney in that slot too. He did the 1010 thing years ago before 640 more recently, so interesting to see him back to doing some work with them.

February 11, 2023 5:09 pm  #18

If you're interested, here's how the late night newscasts in Toronto approached the story on Friday night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTcSu30_XDQ

February 11, 2023 6:04 pm  #19

Has the woman been named?

February 11, 2023 6:32 pm  #20

cash wrote:

Likely the day she was born.

February 11, 2023 6:56 pm  #21

RadioAaron wrote:

cash wrote:

Never mind. Sue Ann Levy outed her. 

February 11, 2023 7:34 pm  #22

rje1 wrote:

cash wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Never mind. Sue Ann Levy outed her. 

lol   she's trash. trying so hard to stay relevant. pissed she didn't get the scoop

Now now. Some on this board still consider SAL to be someone worth listening to. For some reason.

February 11, 2023 8:02 pm  #23

I'm not a Conservative. But I always felt a measure of respect for Tory. He seemed like one of the last decent Conservatives. But, like all of us. he has his weaknesses and he succumbed to one of his.

February 11, 2023 10:59 pm  #24

As noted, this was a classic Friday night news dump. I can only picture the cell phones of staffers off for the weekend ringing off the hook, with producers telling them, "Get in here NOW!" Such is the life of a TV reporter. 

I thought the two talk radio stations in town, although mostly caught flatfooted by the timing, did the best they could. AM640 interrupted their Dani Stover "Let's Talk" rerolls with Alex Pierson and Jason Chapman and a few guests, which was better than nothing. 

While over on CFRB, Jim Richards went with the story all night. He and his producers managed to get a few good guests after 8:30 PM for comments. But my problem with him was he suffered from a form of verbal diarrhea, which was really on display at the very end of his "NewsTalk Tonight."

They managed to get just-returned-from-vacation morning man John Moore, Jerry Agar, Mark Towhey - who once worked in the mayor's office - and Reshmi Nair on the phones to comment on the stunning story. 

But instead of letting them talk, Richards proceeded to give an endless recap of a story that was now almost 3 hours old, leaving all the guests a chance to say one or two sentences before the show ended. I was honestly yelling at the radio, "Shut up and let them talk, already!" But he wouldn't. Even he admitted as he wrapped up for the night that he should have given them more time. 

I guess we'll have to wait until Monday to hear what they truly think. After all, they're not only pundits but friends of Tory, who worked at CFRB for years. So their insights and reactions would be especially interesting. If only we'd gotten the chance to hear them. 

February 12, 2023 3:05 am  #25

turkeytop wrote:

I'm not a Conservative. But I always felt a measure of respect for Tory. He seemed like one of the last decent Conservatives. But, like all of us. he has his weaknesses and he succumbed to one of his.

You are forgetting that John Tory is actually a RED Tory. Perhaps maybe even a Blue Grit. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 12, 2023 7:23 am  #26

Somehow, despite her inside track with Rob Ford, "Scoop" Levy missed every single element of the neverending scandal that was Rob Ford's mayoralty.

February 12, 2023 11:11 am  #27

I agree with RA regarding Jim Richard's recapping in way too much detail before introducing the roundtable panel prior to 11pm.  He wasted a lot of time getting to the panel and even mentioned about fifteen minutes prior that Moore, Agar and Towhey had been waiting a long time.  Other than that Newstalk 1010 did a decent job what I heard.  Didn't listen to 640 other than them having live coverage with some interviews.

Best were the news channels, CP24, CBC News Network and CTV News Channel all with Tory's announcement live and commentary with reporters and guests immediately after for the rest of the evening.

February 12, 2023 12:28 pm  #28

I will never forgive John Tory for subjecting me to a Dalton McGuinty majority. That sure worked out well. 

February 12, 2023 4:53 pm  #29

Perhaps someone found out about this affair and John Tory decided to speak out before the ‘someone’ did.

February 12, 2023 5:04 pm  #30

The Star had been working on the story for several days, if not weeks, and had published the story on its website at around 7 PM Friday.

His office knew the reporters at the paper had been sniffing around for a while, and it was going to come out sooner than later. The "sooner" came Friday night. 

By 8:30 PM, Tory resigned.