sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2023 8:51 pm  #31

Re: CBC Radio/TV to (eventually) abandon OTA for full streaming

Turkeytop I understand how you feel but broadcast radio has not kept up with the times.  I grew up with radio starting with its golden age and it used to be my constant companion.  In recent years, I have found that broadcast radio has very little of what I want to listen to.  Private radio has become a wasteland with hardly any creativity.  I have both bluetooth and smart speakers and I have also wired an old phone to my 70s stereo system.  Streaming has given me the option of listening to any one of thousands of stations, any type of music or podcast or information I choose with
 no static or fading signals. I am not limited to cookie cutter formats, commercials interrupted by 2 minutes of news,
many FM stations all playing the same so-called music, and arrogant or boring talk show hosts,  It is very clear why
streaming is gradually replacing broadcasting for audio content.

February 8, 2023 9:44 pm  #32

As an older Millennial who is just old enough to remember life before the World Wide Web and when AM radio still had new music, I would really like to support traditional radio. I really would. But at least on private radio, the number of ads has gotten far too out of control, and with a few exceptions, the music selection is really tired and repetitive. I mostly listen to CBC and NPR these days if I listen to radio, otherwise I find myself using Spotify to stream music or podcasts more and more.

I actually find Canadian radio worse for advertising than in the US. Living in close proximity to Seattle I drive that way from time to time, and their stations don’t have the massive ad breaks that we have on this side of the border.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (February 8, 2023 9:45 pm)

February 8, 2023 9:51 pm  #33

MJ Vancouver wrote:

I actually find Canadian radio worse for advertising than in the US. Living in close proximity to Seattle I drive that way from time to time, and their stations don’t have the massive ad breaks that we have on this side of the border.

American stations of similar market size have significantly longer commercial breaks. Some Seattle stations, like 107.7 The END have been splitting them up into more frequent, shorter breaks.

Last edited by RadioAaron (February 8, 2023 9:54 pm)

February 8, 2023 11:02 pm  #34

turkeytop wrote:

Online streaming is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining.

Online streaming is the future of radio. I know this for a fact. A little bird told me. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

February 8, 2023 11:58 pm  #35

Paul Jeffries wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

Online streaming is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining.

Online streaming is the future of radio. I know this for a fact. A little bird told me. 

PJ

Online streaming may replace broadcast radio. But it will NOT be radio.

Last edited by turkeytop (February 18, 2023 8:13 pm)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

February 9, 2023 1:19 am  #36

As if to prove the point of some here, this video popped up on WNBC-TV's site on Wednesday. 

What Is A Radio?

February 9, 2023 3:17 pm  #37

It would also save the companies from paying transmitter costs.   Basically the CN Tower would be redundant except for the restaurant/views.

February 9, 2023 8:40 pm  #38

turkeytop wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

PJ

Online streaming may replace broadcast radio. But it will be radio.

I know you meant to say "it will NOT be radio" but you were accidentally correct. I stream SiriusXM daily, and some of the stations there sound more like "radio" as remembered by many users here than anything currently on AM/FM. The delivery method is irrelevant.

Last edited by RadioAaron (February 9, 2023 8:40 pm)

February 9, 2023 10:02 pm  #39

RadioAaron wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

PJ

Online streaming may replace broadcast radio. But it will be radio.

I know you meant to say "it will NOT be radio" but you were accidentally correct. I stream SiriusXM daily, and some of the stations there sound more like "radio" as remembered by many users here than anything currently on AM/FM. The delivery method is irrelevant.

Not to mention there's very few terrestrial stations nowadays that would fall under the category of "fine dining". More like a prepackaged microwavable burger from the 7-Eleven is a better way of describing it.

At least with intravenous feeding you get the nutrients you need.  

PJ

Last edited by Paul Jeffries (February 9, 2023 10:04 pm)

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

February 9, 2023 10:42 pm  #40

Hey. I'm still trying to come to terms with radios that don't have tubes. I miss that warm, dusty smell.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

February 17, 2023 11:41 am  #41

An award-winning author argues nothing can replace radio's intimacy and community importance.

Radio lets in the world. We shouldn’t be in a rush to phase it out

February 17, 2023 12:43 pm  #42

RadioActive wrote:

An award-winning author argues nothing can replace radio's intimacy and community importance.

Radio lets in the world. We shouldn’t be in a rush to phase it out
Behind a paywall for me.

February 17, 2023 12:50 pm  #43