sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 31, 2023 12:09 pm  #61

Re: "New Tech Making Free Over-the-Air TV Even Better." But Is It Really?

Mace, I believe that OTA reception in most parts of Buffalo of the Toronto stations is now a thing of the past except for CFTO which is on Ch. 8.   My recollection is that after the last phase of repack, several Toronto stations occupy channels which have low power TV or repeaters operating in the Buffalo area  People are struggling with CHCH on 15 and Global on 17 due to the ATSC 3 station on Chj. 16 Grand Island - WNYO. CBLT is now blocked on Ch. 20 by I believe a TV station transmitting from WGRZ's tower - WWHC and there's a station on Ch. 30 from Olean.  I hear that some people are able to pick up the CKVR repeaters on 35 (though that's probably difficult in some areas due to WIVB on 36 and WKBW on 34.  If I recall correctly 26 is also occupied by a repeater in Buffalo and CKVP Fonthill runs into interference on Ch. 29 from another lptv station in W. NY.

January 31, 2023 12:09 pm  #62

RadioActive wrote:

I remember when City TV first signed on, and I could barely get it in Toronto, despite having a rotor on the roof of my parent's home. Its original signal off of Channel 79 was very weak if I recall correctly.

I have heard stories that people from Buffalo used to cross the border and stay in a Toronto hotel just to watch the Baby Blue Movie that aired every Friday night. Not sure if that's true or apocryphal, but that's been the story for years. 

Wow! You lived in Toronto, with a rotor and could barely receive CITY. Growing up in Oakville, my parents had one of those flytrap style UHF antennas pointed south. Perfect reception on TVO, Global and CBC French. CITY? Nothing but snow!

January 31, 2023 12:10 pm  #63

In Phase wrote:

RA, with respect, you have previously referred to "meddling of the federal government" and "horrendous government interference" and yet you seemingly expect the government to intervene in the Rogers takeover of Shaw.  The acquisition of Shaw by Rogers is first and foremost a business decision.  Although you and I would like it to be about "lower consumer prices", that is secondary for Rogers.

It's all about corporate growth, increasing shareholder value, and evolving family dynasties.  Given that Shaw can't grow much beyond their current reach, and Rogers still is in a "growth" mode, a merger was virtually inevitable.

I am sure there will be concessions made, such as Freedom Mobile, but in the end, Rogers will most likely prevail, and probably should.

Don't get me wrong, I have no specific love for Rogers or any company.  I too would like to have more choice and lower prices, but I am a capitalist as well.  I am invested in Rogers and Bell and others, as are most people that have mutual funds, RRSP's or pension plans.  I need them to grow.

Although more choice is always desired, people do have choice (yes, albeit somewhat limited).  Unfortunately, many succumb to marketing tactics and fail to differentiate between what is truly "required" and what is "nice to have".  Rogers knows this.  Bell knows this.  Politicians know this.

Is some level of government oversight required?   Probably

Am I thrilled that Rogers will take over Shaw?   Nope

Do I think it needs to happen?   Yup

Funny you would bring this up, because I was just thinking about this. Yes, there's certainly a dichotomy between wanting government intervention on this deal and my hatred of the same entity's interference in broadcasting. You have a point and I can't deny it. In fact, I fully admit the contradiction. 

But there's a line of thought that also argues the two are not exactly the same. One is a business concern, and it seems obvious to many that it would be in the public interest to nip this thing in the bud before it's allowed. (I have no illusion that it's not going to happen, just that it shouldn't.) It is a business deal, plain and simple, but because the government has gotten itself entangled in the industry, they at least have a say in it. 

The other is about an intervention in programming. Stopping the former is for the public good in my view. The latter is a somewhat subjective decision on what appeals to viewers that I would rather see left to the people who know the business best - aka broadcasters. 

I see the two as separate issues. I can see why many might not. And if that makes me a hypocrite on this, then so be it. But you don't have to be an expert in economics to know that less competition never equals lower prices. Remember, it was this same government that promised the public its stated goal was to lower cell phone and other rates. Approving this deal, it seems, would assure that's exactly what won't happen. Yet it seems they're more concerned with forcing CanCon on streamers et al, than actually doing something to help the very public that voted them in - and who they promised would get some relief. 

I think they're separate issues. I understand why not everyone will agree with that assessment. 

January 31, 2023 12:14 pm  #64

mace wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I remember when City TV first signed on, and I could barely get it in Toronto, despite having a rotor on the roof of my parent's home. Its original signal off of Channel 79 was very weak if I recall correctly.

I have heard stories that people from Buffalo used to cross the border and stay in a Toronto hotel just to watch the Baby Blue Movie that aired every Friday night. Not sure if that's true or apocryphal, but that's been the story for years. 

Wow! You lived in Toronto, with a rotor and could barely receive CITY. Growing up in Oakville, my parents had one of those flytrap style UHF antennas pointed south. Perfect reception on TVO, Global and CBC French. CITY? Nothing but snow!

My memory of City in that location was very ghost-y, if that's a word. We could get it, but never clearly. The set was willing but the signal was weak. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing in those early days, it wasn't on with all that high a power. The improvements came later.

January 31, 2023 1:13 pm  #65

City's original transmission facility was atop the Canada Square building at 2180 Yonge St.  It was on RF Ch.79.  The transmission facility was plagued with problems which affected reliable reception by viewers.

I was told by a couple of colleagues who worked for Rogers/Metro cable back in the day that Rogers/Metro ended up laying in their own direct trunk cable from City TV at 99 Queen St. E. and had it terminate at the Rogers building on Victoria St. a couple of blocks away. (Not a big undertaking for a cable co., Rogers was also involved in running closed circuit cable services to the major downtown hotels to provide Pay Movie Services). 

January 31, 2023 6:30 pm  #66

Glen Warren wrote:

I was told by a couple of colleagues who worked for Rogers/Metro cable back in the day that Rogers/Metro ended up laying in their own direct trunk cable from City TV at 99 Queen St. E.

Indeed 100% true.  There was a channel 7 RF modulator in the Citytv basement at 99 Queen.  It also made its way over to 299 Queen West with the station move.

January 31, 2023 7:13 pm  #67

Did City TV coverage and signal improve when they moved to the CN Tower in 1976?  Or was there any improvement moving to channel 57 in 1983 and later channel 44 for digital?  This is why I thought they may have been picked up by cable in the Buffalo area.  I have never watched off air, only on cable, even many years ago.  

February 1, 2023 10:16 am  #68

My parents in Oakville got a tower and rotor in 1984. CITY was the only channel where the antenna had to be pointed directly at the CN Tower to get a clear picture. TVO, Global etc. came in fine with the antenna pointed to Buffalo. When the digital age arrived, if the antenna was pointed south, CITY had severe pixelation. All the other UHF's were fine.