sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2023 12:12 pm  #1

Another Icon Gone: Bobby Hull Dies At 84

Not exactly radio related, but his exploits were carried on radio and TV hockey broadcasts for decades. Sad to hear that Bobby Hull, aka The Golden Jet, who helped sire a family of superstars, has passed away. He was 84.

Bobby Hull Gone At 84

January 30, 2023 2:38 pm  #2

Re: Another Icon Gone: Bobby Hull Dies At 84

RadioActive wrote:

Not exactly radio related, but his exploits were carried on radio and TV hockey broadcasts for decades. Sad to hear that Bobby Hull, aka The Golden Jet, who helped sire a family of superstars, has passed away. He was 84.

Bobby Hull Gone At 84

Sad that his great legacy as a hockey player is somewhat dimmed by his actions and opinions off the ice.

Last edited by betaylored (January 30, 2023 2:40 pm)

January 31, 2023 8:48 pm  #3

Met him several times over the years. 

First time 55 years ago - outside the dressing room door following an exhibition game in my home town. I was 11 - one of dozens of young boys waiting to shake his hand - pat him on the back & get an autograph. Mission accomplished. He couldn't have been more accommodating. 

Fast forward a decade & we would cross paths again in a busy bar on a Saturday night He was there - alone. So my buddy - a former RCMP officer - & I struck up a conversation with him. Very friendly & half in the bag of course.

The bar was filled with lots of young ladies & as we spoke to him for maybe 15 minutes every so often & out of the blue an attractive young lass would come up and introduce herself to him. I'm betting their intentions were less than honourable! Trading on his name and good looks and personality there's no doubt that he had to beat them off with a stick for most of his life. 

Last edited by unclefester (January 31, 2023 9:01 pm)

February 1, 2023 10:08 am  #4

I also remember meeting him when I was around 10. He was making an appearance at a local Oakville golf course. A few of my friends and I rode our bikes there and patiently waited outside the course's licensed establishment where he was giving a presentation. As he was leaving, he noticed us patiently standing outside. He commented Hello boys. Would you like an autographed photo of me? Our reply was something like If it's not too much trouble, Mr. Hull. No trouble at all. I have some photos in my car. [It was a Ford Country Squire] The one thing I always remember from that day. His bulging Popeye biceps popping out of the golf shirt he was wearing.

February 1, 2023 10:30 am  #5

mace wrote:

I also remember meeting him when I was around 10. He was making an appearance at a local Oakville golf course. A few of my friends and I rode our bikes there and patiently waited outside the course's licensed establishment where he was giving a presentation. As he was leaving, he noticed us patiently standing outside. He commented Hello boys. Would you like an autographed photo of me? Our reply was something like If it's not too much trouble, Mr. Hull. No trouble at all. I have some photos in my car. [It was a Ford Country Squire] The one thing I always remember from that day. His bulging Popeye biceps popping out of the golf shirt he was wearing.

I also have a memory of meeting him that involves a golf course, but mine was a slightly more revealing interaction.

Years ago, thanks to my love of golf, I was given my company's invitation to participate in the opening of Lionhead Golf Club. There was a scramble tournament featuring us so-called media celebrities and some actual sports stars. Anyway, between the tournament and the dinner, I walk into the locker room and there's The Golden Jet enjoying a pop and holding court ... in his underpants.

Not much of a story, but one I've never forgotten it 30-odd years later.

RIP to Bobby and his gotchies.

February 1, 2023 11:34 am  #6

I was in a charity golf tournament sponsored by Crime Stoppers at the Sauble Beach Golf and Country Club.  It was a big event  with local media, politicians and sports personalities taking part.  I was representing CKNX with another sales rep. 

Back then I didn't play golf and didn't really have my own clubs so I would rent for the two or three times a year I played.  

Hole number three was hosted by Bobby Hull.  He would give a demonstration of which club to use and how to hit the ball. He was representing Formosa Springs Brewery, and everyone was welcome to take a chilled free beverage in the huge bucket refreshments.  I remember it was about a five iron shot to an elevated green.  Not a hard hole to reach the green, but tricky with water and sand traps.  Bobby was very chatty and friendly with everyone.

When I went to shoot the head of my rental club came off and landed about 10 feet in front of me.  Everyone had a good laugh, especially Bobby.  He then insisted that I use his clubs for the remainder of the match.  He said that he only needed his five iron and I couldn't play with lousy clubs like the rentals.

So I played the rest of the match with Bobby Hull's beautiful set of golf clubs, with a leather  plum and white coloured bag.  The golf bag had tags from Bobby Orr's tournament, Toronto Maple Leaf charity tournament, Black Hawks and others.

After my round I went looking for Bobby to return his clubs to him.  Couldn't find him anywhere at first, but finally I did.  He saw me he laughed and said..  "You know buddy, I forgot you had my clubs.  Thanks for bringing them back.."