sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2023 12:01 pm  #1

Only One Member Of The Original "Addams Family" TV Show Left Alive

There is a small bit of irony that Netflix has recently debuted a new show called "Wednesday," based on the otherwise obscure daughter of Addams Family fame. Ironic, because the woman who originally played that role on the ABC-TV version has now passed away. Lisa Loring was only 64. 

All of which led to this great article on what happened to the cast of that ground-breaking dark comedy, and it turns out only one of them is still alive. It updates their fates, which is a rather remarkable testimony to the influence a black and white show that only lasted two seasons has carried all these years. 

One thing I never knew - the character of Lurch was supposed to be silent, but when Ted Cassidy delivered his "You Rang" catchphrase, producers changed their mind. Also fascinating to know Cassidy suffered from a genetic defect, which accounted for that bizarre deep voice and his extreme height. And that he once worked as a DJ in Dallas. 

I remember watching the show as a kid, but I confess I was always more of a Munsters fan.

See what became of the rest of the cast here

January 30, 2023 2:33 pm  #2

Re: Only One Member Of The Original "Addams Family" TV Show Left Alive

I don't think Wednesday is particularly obscure. For an entire generation, our Wednesday was Christina Ricci. The character is pretty recognizable.

January 30, 2023 2:53 pm  #3

When I was a kid, I always thought that John Astin had the creepiest stare while doing Gomez Adams. Creepy in a good way, though.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

January 30, 2023 4:36 pm  #4

Andy Burns wrote:

I don't think Wednesday is particularly obscure. For an entire generation, our Wednesday was Christina Ricci. The character is pretty recognizable.

What I meant was that on the TV show, Wednesday was not exactly a major character. Neither was Pugsley, to be honest. I wasn't really thinking of the movie, which, of course, was a big hit.   

January 30, 2023 4:48 pm  #5

Another Vic Mizzy classic. This and the Green Acres Theme, are two of the best in TV history.

January 30, 2023 5:10 pm  #6

Wednesday and Lurch 👇

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoBsERrNuv4/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Star Trek or Star Wars
Coke or Pepsi
Habs or Leafs
Veronica or Betty
Wilma or Betty
Wile E. Coyote or the Road Runner
The Munsters or The Addams Family

I'm with RA in that I preferred The Munsters but am discovering the appeal of the Addams Family.

A while back someone actually colorized the Addams Family show and it looks completely different and ugly with all the drab elegance of the black and white gone.

January 30, 2023 5:11 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Also fascinating to know Cassidy suffered from a genetic defect, which accounted for that bizarre deep voice and his extreme height.  

I believe that he suffered from acromegaly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acromegaly (like Andre the Giant and Richard Kiel who played "Jaws" in some of the Roger Moore "James Bond" films).

January 30, 2023 5:13 pm  #8

That's correct. It's noted in the article. I'm sure it wasn't easy to have endured this, but wow, what an incredibly deep voice it gave him. 

January 30, 2023 5:54 pm  #9

Ted cassidy was also a reporter at WFAA, Dallas and was on-hand for the Kennedy assasination.

His first report starts at about 43:05

And to show this man's incredible range, here is a demo reel of his voiceover work:

Last edited by Peter the K (January 30, 2023 5:58 pm)

January 30, 2023 6:29 pm  #10

Wow, those are great finds, especially that demo reel. Incredible to hear it. 

I noticed in the credits to the Addams Family theme below, they list "The Thing" as being played by "Itself." That was actually Ted Cassidy's hand.

January 30, 2023 6:55 pm  #11

betaylored wrote:

Wednesday and Lurch 👇
A while back someone actually colorized the Addams Family show and it looks completely different and ugly with all the drab elegance of the black and white gone.

I have to agree. I took film arts in high school. (back in the early 90's, that is what they called it)
The first thing they taught me is, never film something in black and white and expect to go colour later.
B&W has some special details that can only be seen or noticed in black and white. 
One great example is, once you go colour, you lose the shadow effect. 
(anything from a plant shadow on a wall to the shadow of someone-or something on a staircase)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 30, 2023 7:24 pm  #12

Addams Family vs Munsters: Both series lasted two seasons. Addams Family: Sept 8, 1964-Apr 8, 1966 [64 episodes]  Munsters: Sept 24, 1964-May 12, 1966 [70 episodes] In both series first season The Munsters finished tied for 18th with Gilligan's Island with the Addams Family ranked 23rd. In the second series, Batman caused the cancellation of the Munsters while Hogan's Heroes brought an end to the Addams Family.

January 30, 2023 9:13 pm  #13

after reading mace's post, am now imagining what a crossover movie of The Munsters Meet The Addams Family would have looked like, or could look like if the legal snafus could be negotiated... would the universe implode?

the new Netflix series "Wednesday" is worth watching, and you've got to hand it to the creators, Thing is a crucial character in the plot development.

really enjoyed everyone's clips 👍

Last edited by betaylored (January 30, 2023 9:15 pm)