sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 27, 2023 3:47 pm  #1

Three seconds of audio could end up costing Fox $500,000

And it was just a test. It was only a test. Except it really wasn't...

Three seconds of audio could end up costing Fox $500,000

January 27, 2023 5:29 pm  #2

Re: Three seconds of audio could end up costing Fox $500,000

I remember those ominous EBS announcements when I was young. Truly terrifying. They always seemed to pop up during Saturday Morning Cartoons.

January 27, 2023 5:58 pm  #3

Turns out what Fox did was even worse than first thought. 

Fox Sports Admits It Used Fake EAS Tones On Radio As Well As TV

January 28, 2023 8:33 am  #4

A $504,000 fine vs $4.4B in 2021 revenue. I think FOX can afford to pay.

January 28, 2023 8:51 am  #5

mace wrote:

A $504,000 fine vs $4.4B in 2021 revenue. I think FOX can afford to pay.

What's that saying again? A slap on the wrist? IN other words, here's the first round of FCC doing something about it...don't do it again. 
What will the fine be next time? (if they are foolish enough to ever do it again)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 28, 2023 11:27 am  #6

If using these tones is so well known to be illegal as the article states, how did this happen then?  Like anything else, many eyes and ears would have viewed the finished product before airing, and it would need to be approved by someone.  Even worse the promo ended up on radio as well.   

Is the FOX  promo anywhere on You Tube?  The article says that the tones, or variation of them, were available on You Tube and that is what FOX used.  

I hate any commercial especially on radio that uses a siren, or cell phone ringing as a sound effect.  When you are driving it is distracting and you can be fooled for a few seconds that it is the real thing. 

January 28, 2023 12:03 pm  #7

In Ottawa not long ago, after a major storm hit the area, CJOH/CTV aired a news report that included AlertReady's attention tones coming from a phone. Does the CRTC not prohibit the use of those tones outside of actual alert transmissions, like the FCC does?

I second paterson1's dislike of commercials that include sirens, phones ringing, alarms etc. among the SFX. Yes, they are attention getters, much like emergency alert tones, but they are definitely distracting and annoying.

January 28, 2023 12:39 pm  #8

I remember very well the Canadian emergency spots... and yes they did come during Saturday morning cartoons.
But even as a child I knew that if an atomic bomb was going to fall there was nothing we could do and we would all die no matter what.
(actually I think my father told me that when I was about 7 years old.)

January 28, 2023 1:36 pm  #9

Ms. C. wrote:

Indiana Wants Me by R. Dean Taylor

...and "Money City Maniacs" by Sloan.