sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2023 6:19 pm  #1

CKO All News Radio 99.1 FM Toronto

A number of years ago now while working at Toronto's then CKO All's-News Radio, I had the privilege of working with then News Director Garfield Chesson.  Prior to CKO, Garfield worked in news at Brantford's CKPC Radio, and prior to that, at the Hamilton Spectator.  He spent a brief amount of time as Station Manager at CKO's Edmonton station, thereafter joining the staff of The Ontario Editorial Bureau in Toronto, where he recruited me to rejoin him.  Unexpectedly he left the OEB and I never heard from him again.  Wondering if anyone had heard where he had resurfaced.

January 22, 2023 10:21 pm  #2

Re: CKO All News Radio 99.1 FM Toronto

Sorry you don't seem to be getting an answer. It's possible no one on the board is familiar with him. I know plenty of people who worked at CKO and may be able to ask them - if I can get hold of them! Many of them are scattered to the winds, working or living in other places. 

As for CKO itself, I'm aware from those same folks that it was not a very well-run place, but I also think it was simply too early for its time. I can't help but wonder if they tried it later (before CityNews 680) if it would have had a better shot in Canada. I guess we'll never know.

January 22, 2023 10:42 pm  #3

I think the death knell for CKO came, when they started broadcasting live hockey games. Listeners could no longer rely on them to be an All News station when wide swaths of time each week were given over to broadcasting hockey matches

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

January 23, 2023 12:10 am  #4

Keithscribe wrote:

A number of years ago now while working at Toronto's then CKO All's-News Radio, I had the privilege of working with then News Director Garfield Chesson.  Prior to CKO, Garfield worked in news at Brantford's CKPC Radio, and prior to that, at the Hamilton Spectator.  He spent a brief amount of time as Station Manager at CKO's Edmonton station, thereafter joining the staff of The Ontario Editorial Bureau in Toronto, where he recruited me to rejoin him.  Unexpectedly he left the OEB and I never heard from him again.  Wondering if anyone had heard where he had resurfaced.

Because I've done a lot of research work, I did some searching to see if I could find out anything about him. The most recent item I was able to find at first was a letter to The Record from 2014, where he gave his location as Kitchener. So then I tried searching on Chesson and Kitchener, and found subsequent letters to The Record from Gar Chesson of Kitchener; the most recent one was from December 2022. Maybe you could try contacting The Record, and if they have either an email address or a physical address for him, you could ask if they would foward a message from you to him. 

January 23, 2023 1:17 am  #5

The problem is they were on FM in most cities at a time when many cars radios didn't even have the band and when FM wasn't where one turned to for news and information .

January 23, 2023 11:34 am  #6

I can't recall the name of the older gentleman who did the evening talk show. I believe he broadcast from the west coast, Vancouver maybe? It was him that got me listening to talk radio back then and still to this day. I'm thinking it was late 80's - early 90's ? 

January 23, 2023 12:02 pm  #7

You are thinking of Pat Burns.  A refugee from Montreal.

January 23, 2023 12:33 pm  #8

Broodcaster wrote:

You are thinking of Pat Burns.  A refugee from Montreal.

In a voice that sounded like he regularly gargled with razor blades, his signature line whenever he took a call was a very gruff, "Burns on the line - Go Ahead!" He used to drive women crazy by calling every one of them who phoned in "doll." Definitely a creature from another time. 

January 23, 2023 1:56 pm  #9

I actually worked with Pat Burns at CJOR in Vancouver around 1980.
He was a very intelligent man, but serious alcoholism got in the way of his career many times.
He died in 1996, badly damaged by his drinking.
I remember one evening when I was getting in for my shift Burns was also arriviing for his slot -- early.
He was so drunk he had to hold on to both railings as he walked down the stairs to our basement studios.
One famous story had it that the station manager was so irate at his drunkenness that he once decked Burns in his office.
Thing was Burns had such good ratings that it saved him from the axe.
A tragic figure of a man but also a true old school radio star.

January 23, 2023 6:52 pm  #10

Yes, Pat Burns, I was driving a truck then doing night deliveries to auto parts stores. Burns led me to scanning the dial and finding Phil Hendrie, Jaz McKay , Steve and Gary, and all night, Art Bell/ George Noory. These guys kept me awake during those long lonely nights and I thank them for it.