sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2023 1:29 am  #1

WBLK On Top In Buffalo Year-End Radio Ratings

I'm not entirely sure if there's another market where an urban format is #1, but WBLK pulled it off in the Dec. 2022 book in Buffalo. Another common entrant at the top, country WYRK, was second. And maybe it's because the Bills are having a great year, but WGR-AM made it into third place at 7.0, up from a 3.9 last September. (Worth noting, this is for 12+ only.)

The list was last updated Jan, 11, 2023. See it here

January 18, 2023 6:16 pm  #2

Re: WBLK On Top In Buffalo Year-End Radio Ratings

Look further east to Rochester and you will find R/B formatted WDKX on top with a 8.2 share, followed not too closely by N/T WHAM [5.9] and Country WBEE [5.8] Dec 2022 Numbers. Not bad for a one lung 800 watt station.

January 18, 2023 7:36 pm  #3

mace wrote:

Look further east to Rochester and you will find R/B formatted WDKX on top with a 8.2 share, followed not too closely by N/T WHAM [5.9] and Country WBEE [5.8] Dec 2022 Numbers. Not bad for a one lung 800 watt station.

It helps that they have a really top-notch engineer. 

(More to the actual point, it really helps that it's a very, very local and live station, now in its second generation of family ownership - and those 800 watts come from the top of the tallest building downtown, with most of the core audience within ten miles of the transmitter site!)

January 18, 2023 10:38 pm  #4

When I lived in Oakville, and had access to a Wineguard outdoor FM antenna, I could receive WDKX on exceptional tropo days. These would be the days when 92.5 and 98.9 would register a 3 out of 5 on my signal strength meter. If I could hear WPXY even in mono, WDKX would be available. This would have been in the late 70's/early 80's.

September 27, 2023 6:21 pm  #5

was able to actually pick up WBLK while driving on the 407 in Vaughan today at noon. Fuzzy at times but audible on my model Y stereo.

I heard a promo at about 12:40pm that said 'Ontario, we hear you' ..meaning they are still marketing (a bit perhaps) this way north of the border. 

I then loaded the WBLK app from the app store(iphone) and when it asked me to share my location, I clicked 'no thanks' and it let me stream 'BLK ' no problem.

I noticed that Flow98.7 sounds a lot different than 93.7 'BLK' which perhaps is a reason to keep it available.  A Lot of 'throw backs' on 'BLK' this afternoon too, recognizable songs and it was enjoyable.  Don't know but perhaps they upped their 'throwbacks' after the demise of local 98.9 in Buffalo?

Either way, it sounded good.

[img]https://1drv.ms/i/s!AuF8Sd9OzvCbg5oAXaSlHwJVUvLp-w?e=arHBuk[/img]

September 27, 2023 7:03 pm  #6

dmcjeff wrote:

was able to actually pick up WBLK while driving on the 407 in Vaughan today at noon. Fuzzy at times but audible on my model Y stereo.

I heard a promo at about 12:40pm that said 'Ontario, we hear you' ..meaning they are still marketing (a bit perhaps) this way north of the border. 

I then loaded the WBLK app from the app store(iphone) and when it asked me to share my location, I clicked 'no thanks' and it let me stream 'BLK ' no problem.

I noticed that Flow98.7 sounds a lot different than 93.7 'BLK' which perhaps is a reason to keep it available.  A Lot of 'throw backs' on 'BLK' this afternoon too, recognizable songs and it was enjoyable.  Don't know but perhaps they upped their 'throwbacks' after the demise of local 98.9 in Buffalo?

BLK’s been gold-heavy for years now. They decided (wisely) to grow older with their audience over chasing newer more fickle ones.

September 28, 2023 11:01 am  #7

WBLK does their format exceptionally well.   Its been awhile since I listened to it but the last time I did they had great sound quality, a decent signal and programming.

September 28, 2023 2:38 pm  #8

Very much reminds me of WBLS 107.5 when I was listening in New Jersey for the week w/Family back on New Years

RadioAaron wrote:

dmcjeff wrote:

BLK’s been gold-heavy for years now. They decided (wisely) to grow older with their audience over chasing newer more fickle ones.

[img]https://1drv.ms/i/s!AuF8Sd9OzvCbg5oAXaSlHwJVUvLp-w?e=arHBuk[/img]