sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2023 12:00 pm  #1

Detroit TV News Veteran Retiring After 40 Years On Air

This may be of interest to those who get and watch Detroit news on their cable systems. Veteran meteorologist Paul Gross, who has told viewers which way the wind is blowing for four decades, is retiring from WDIV-TV. No word yet on the exact date he leaves, but the station vows to make a big deal out of it, even granting him the title of "Meteorologist Emeritus", "meaning in retirement he will forever remain a part of the staff at WDIV."

Longtime WDIV meteorologist Paul Gross to retire after illustrious 40-year career

January 13, 2023 12:27 pm  #2

Re: Detroit TV News Veteran Retiring After 40 Years On Air

I watch WDIV local news from time to time and Paul Gross is a real professional.  He doesn't try to be funny or distract with fluff features in his forecasts.  He is thorough, explains what is happening clearly and always pleasant on air.  To watch him give the weather it is obvious he knows what he is doing and talking about.

I am not familiar with the other weather people at WDIV, but Paul was head and shoulders ahead of the others on competing Detroit stations.  Hope he has a great retirement.   

January 30, 2023 8:10 am  #3

Paul Gross sums up his amazing career - and how he got that big break at WDIV, the only place he worked for four decades - in a goodbye to viewers.

"I was a simple kid, with a simple goal. A weather nut with a passion to be a person people could rely upon for information that would help them plan…or perhaps save their life. And I made a career out of it in a business where a person with my looks and skills probably shouldn’t have succeeded."

Paul Gross: Reflecting on my 40 years at WDIV

January 30, 2023 10:12 am  #4

Fascinating story about weather and the Battle of the Bulge.