sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 11, 2023 7:05 pm  #1

Jeff Beck

I just saw a quick newsflash on my phone. Jeff Beck has passed away at 78 of Bacterial Meningitus. I am sure there will be more details shortly.

January 11, 2023 10:55 pm  #2

Re: Jeff Beck

Huge in terms of rock guitarists and a big loss. My favorite track featuring Jeff Beck:

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 12, 2023 10:08 am  #3

A mountain of guitar-wizardry-talent. An absolute mountain. Too many of the greats are leaving Planet Earth. C'est la vie.

This 1 minute demo gives you insight into Jeff's 'style'...

Love that song.

January 12, 2023 3:15 pm  #4

I remember seeing Jeff Beck and his band at the Electric Circus. I think it was in March 1969. The Circus was located at 99 Queen Street east, the building where City TV would set up when it was established in 1972. Beck’s band was incredible, including their singer. He was Rod Stewart - at that time not very well known. I still have the poster.

January 15, 2023 11:30 am  #5

https://twitter.com/ChrissieHynde/status/1614254638768726023?t=DYnSVhDFTPQ2kZkwvgKXYQ&s=19

loved reading this message from Chrissie Hynde.
also came across another bit of rock and roll history that said Jeff was responsible for creating the bass part and signature groove for the Stevie Wonder song "Superstition"
some radio station (I wonder "Q"? 🤔) could/should put together a Jeff Beck weekend or special series of weekly show about his impact on music.

Last edited by betaylored (January 15, 2023 11:31 am)

January 16, 2023 1:24 pm  #6

Ms. C. wrote:

Larry Jackson, host of AM 740's excellent "Celebrity Spotlight" program is likely to eventually do just that

AM740? as opposed to Q107? cool.🤨😁

January 16, 2023 1:57 pm  #7

I'm smack in the middle of their target demo and I'd be gone.

January 16, 2023 3:10 pm  #8

rje1 wrote:

betaylored wrote:

(I wonder "Q"? 🤔) could/should put together a Jeff Beck weekend or special series of weekly show about his impact on music.

Q107 isn't doing a Jeff Beck weekend or a series on him. Those days are over at CILQ.

There's a whole audience that would love a return to what made Q, Q.

January 16, 2023 3:20 pm  #9

betaylored wrote:

Amen

January 16, 2023 8:18 pm  #10

betaylored wrote:

rje1 wrote:

betaylored wrote:

(I wonder "Q"? 🤔) could/should put together a Jeff Beck weekend or special series of weekly show about his impact on music.

Q107 isn't doing a Jeff Beck weekend or a series on him. Those days are over at CILQ.

And advertisers aren't interested in them --- which is wrong, but reality.

January 16, 2023 8:19 pm  #11

Ms. C. wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

I'm smack in the middle of their target demo and I'd be gone.

What is Q-107's target demo, currently? 

Men 35-54.

January 16, 2023 8:52 pm  #12

RadioAaron wrote:

betaylored wrote:

rje1 wrote:

Major negative event cascade could be behind this... the price point became too high, the sales team wasn't given enough to work with, the in-house production team wasn't empowered to write or create great spots, and the programming got as stale as a bag of potato chips left open on a picnic table in August. 🛬💥

January 16, 2023 9:03 pm  #13

betaylored wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Major negative event cascade could be behind this... the price point became too high, the sales team wasn't given enough to work with, the in-house production team wasn't empowered to write or create great spots, and the programming got as stale as a bag of potato chips left open on a picnic table in August. 🛬💥

And radio, specifically in big markets, is powerless against this. Radio should fight for its 55+ audience, but now they're bundled in with TV and Billboards and the argument doesn't have space to be heard.