sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2023 11:58 pm  #1

MNF Game Suspended Midway After Player Left In Critical Condition

Normally, I couldn't care less about football. But for the first time I can ever remember, ABC/ESPN's Monday Night Football was suspended in the middle of the game, after a Buffalo Bills player was left in critical condition in hospital, following a tackle somehow gone wrong. An ambulance was brought onto the field, as Damar Hamlin received CPR in front of a horrified and hushed Cincinatti crowd. 

The announcers went into endless and emotional fill mode, sometimes near tears, for more than two hours. Live updates from the hospital also became part of the show, with replays of players on both teams also openly crying on the field. 

Most of the big Buffalo TV stations broke into programming with live updates, and they threw their news line-ups out the window with non-stop coverage on the 11 o'clock news - even delaying the 11:30 PM network talk shows. What's equally unusual, all of the broadcast outlets have studiously avoided showing any video of the event or any replays - only the aftermath. But if you want to see what happened, it's available here.

Thankfully, it's not something you see very often. But what a bizarre turn of events in what is always one of the highest rated shows of the week.

Bills safety Damar Hamlin in critical condition after collapsing on field; game suspended

January 3, 2023 12:28 am  #2

Re: MNF Game Suspended Midway After Player Left In Critical Condition

On the radio, WGR-AM went wall-to-wall with the story late into the night using CBS Sports Radio, not only because it's an all sports format, but also because it has the rights to the Bills' games. TSN 1050 did the same, using a feed from ESPN Radio.

I was surprised to hear the Fan 590 go to the pre-recorded and previously scheduled Raceline Radio, instead of either going with coverage from their own Sportsnet team or taking CBS Sports Radio. 

January 3, 2023 7:45 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

On the radio, WGR-AM went wall-to-wall with the story late into the night using CBS Sports Radio, not only because it's an all sports format, but also because it has the rights to the Bills' games. TSN 1050 did the same, using a feed from ESPN Radio.

I was surprised to hear the Fan 590 go to the pre-recorded and previously scheduled Raceline Radio, instead of either going with coverage from their own Sportsnet team or taking CBS Sports Radio. 

Fan 590 had no rights.(To CBS sports radio or ESPN) right? 
What did Fox Sports Radio do? 
Sportsnet Fan 590 was just filling time with regular programming that they had rights to. 
Did they at least to updates?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 3, 2023 8:22 am  #4

Actually, the Fan has the rights to CBS Sports Radio and uses it overnight to fill programming. As far as I know, they can go to it anytime they want. (TSN has ESPN Radio.) I suppose Raceline was fully sponsored and they may have had no choice but to air in its regular timeslot. But all the other sports stations were going with the NFL story all night.  

January 3, 2023 11:39 am  #5

Now we wait for the NFL to announce when the game will be completed. It will be because there are playoff implications that affect the Bills, Chiefs, Bengals and Ravens. If the league can schedule games to be played on any night of the week because of Covid, they can and will do it here.