sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 28, 2022 10:49 pm  #1

Why is CHFI still playing Xmas music?

Will it ever end?

December 28, 2022 11:15 pm  #2

Re: Why is CHFI still playing Xmas music?

To me, it makes fore sense to be playing it a few days after Christmas than six weeks before Christmas.  I'm litening to my Oscar Peterson Christmas CD right now.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

December 29, 2022 12:13 am  #3

Just to piss you off

December 29, 2022 12:51 am  #4

cash wrote:

Will it ever end?

You do know that you have a choice not to listen.

December 29, 2022 1:11 am  #5

Just checked a few posts from years past. While it's impossible to determine exactly which day the Yule gruel stopped back then, all the records indicate it was gone sometime around or before Dec. 31st. So it likely means there's not much more to go. Even if you like the stuff, who really wants to listen to All Christmas music on New Year's Eve?

December 29, 2022 11:16 am  #6

I want to gag.  Im surprised their transmitter hasnt fried itself.

Last edited by markow202 (December 29, 2022 11:17 am)

December 29, 2022 3:19 pm  #7

Love it (as some do) or hate it (as many others here do) there is simply no arguing with the success of all Christmas music. This story is from the U.S., but it amply demonstrates what happens to the stations who play nothing but Santa symphonies all of December. The numbers don't lie, sadly, which means you can expect more and more of it next year, too. (Some here may find the Detroit results especially interesting.)

"Of the nine Santa-casters, six moved into the top spot, several from seventh- or eighth-ranked in November's book, while three – in Tampa, Denver and Baltimore – didn't have to budge from the throne, having switched while already leading the market.

The holiday leaderboard after these first two days and 20 markets shows Christmas-formatted stations with 17 crowns – including 13 adult contemporary stations, two soft ACs, one classic hits and one contemporary Christian – and one each for news/talk, soft AC (non-flipped) and rock."

See all the rating charts here. 

December 29, 2022 3:41 pm  #8

Wham, bam, no thank you ma'am!

https://www.nme.com/news/music/couple-raise-50000-to-buy-rights-to-last-christmas-so-they-never-have-to-hear-it-again-3372165

If they achieve their goal, enforcing this is another thing entirely.

December 29, 2022 5:00 pm  #9

On December 27th, CHFI was #1with a 16 share, and a 21 share with women. 

That's why.

December 29, 2022 8:36 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

Just checked a few posts from years past. While it's impossible to determine exactly which day the Yule gruel stopped back then, all the records indicate it was gone sometime around or before Dec. 31st. So it likely means there's not much more to go. Even if you like the stuff, who really wants to listen to All Christmas music on New Year's Eve?

In recent years they usually put away the festive faves after December 26. This year they see a need for a longer spell as they also began playing it earlier than they had in other years.

December 29, 2022 9:33 pm  #11

kevjo wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

In recent years they usually put away the festive faves after December 26. This year they see a need for a longer spell as they also began playing it earlier than they had in other years.

In recent years CHFI was number one in Toronto.
Boom is now number one.
CHFI is extremely desperate to restore the number one spot in ratings. Sad, but true.
I'm not Greek Orthodox, but maybe they are still enjoying the music, knowing their Christmas is not until early January. 
(I'm also assuming they enjoy the same Christmas music...clueless to what preference they might actually have...)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 29, 2022 9:42 pm  #12

I was just scanning the dial right now and I noticed CHYM in Kitchener is still doing Xmas music.

December 30, 2022 6:39 am  #13

If playing a Xmas tune on New Years Eve is OK with the likes of a Dave Edmunds, who are we to challenge : )) .. 

December 30, 2022 12:27 pm  #14

Still all Xmas music - Dec. 30th. 

Last edited by cash (December 30, 2022 12:27 pm)

December 30, 2022 12:56 pm  #15

Kudos to Rogers for thinking outside of the box on this one.

The music doesn't hurt them it helps them.

Plus - this is easily the oddest week of the yr.  Most don't even know what day it is. 

Keep it simple.  Be different.

December 30, 2022 3:02 pm  #16

JUST IN:  Dec 28: #1 @ 14.9 and 19.5 with women.

December 30, 2022 5:01 pm  #17

UPDATE: Dec 29: #1 @ 13.6, 16.2 with women 25-54, and 22.8 18-49.

December 30, 2022 5:59 pm  #18

According to a listener reply from CHFI on Twitter, All Christmas Music will end tonight at 11:59PM.

December 30, 2022 8:11 pm  #19

The SXM Sinatra channel still had some Christmas music in the mix as recently as yesterday. I didn't have it on today to see if they're still playing it.

December 31, 2022 1:52 am  #20

Radio.Intern wrote:

According to a listener reply from CHFI on Twitter, All Christmas Music will end tonight at 11:59PM.

& Rogers Ignite channel 299 can't just switch from Christmas music back to being the Sunset channel.
Nooooo...that has to wait until January 10th.  WHY??? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 2, 2023 12:00 am  #21

turkeytop wrote:

I was just scanning the dial right now and I noticed CHYM in Kitchener is still doing Xmas music.

After Christmas Easy 101.3 and Fresh 103.1 switched back to their regular formats.

January 2, 2023 12:55 pm  #22

turkeytop wrote:

The SXM Sinatra channel still had some Christmas music in the mix as recently as yesterday. I didn't have it on today to see if they're still playing it.

How 'bout now?