sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2023 8:39 am  #1

New Free Cdn. Streamer Set To Launch Jan. 1, 2023 - But Where Is It?

It's called "Join TV" - short for Just One Incredible Network - and it was supposed to be online Jan. 1, 2023. But a quick search of the web turns up a site that has nothing but a lot of promises - but no actual material. It's also not that easy to find on Google, which makes me wonder if the launch is out to lunch. We'll have to see what happens this month. 

The service announced it was coming last fall, with a press release that promised a lot of free programming.  

"The JOIN TV Network will be Canada’s premiere FAST Channel Network when it launches to the public on January 1st 2023, offering on-demand channels to global audiences for free viewing.

"The network has already secured thousands of hours of programming for its array of channels that include a dedicated Fashion Channel, Travel Channel, Music Channel, Documentary Channel, Animation Channel, Crypto News Channel, World Sports Channel, Indigenous Peoples Channel, LGBTQ2S+ Channel and a top Trending Channel showcasing the best shows, films, and programming from around the world.

"The network also plans to begin producing new shows and programming for additional channels being launched in the months following the official JOIN TV Network launch."

But its website has nothing but "coming soon" barker type announcements on it. The fact this is global in nature is also interesting - most of these kinds of streamers usually have geographic restrictions. Worth keeping an eye on to see if this is just delayed or if it will actually JOIN other streaming services available online. 

JoinTV Network.com

January 1, 2023 3:16 pm  #2

Re: New Free Cdn. Streamer Set To Launch Jan. 1, 2023 - But Where Is It?

Their website says they are launching January 2023.  Original press releases in the fall said January 1 2023.  Looks impressive with the variety of streaming channels, but I hope they haven't taken on more than they can handle.

At least this service isn't run by any of the conglomerates or CBC.  Interesting to see if they can pull it off and if  anyone will watch.  People will need to know that they even exist, so JOIN TV will need some advertising.  And most important, lots of content to run the ten channels. 

Potentially JOIN could be an interesting and worthwhile streaming service. 

January 1, 2023 3:23 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

"The network has already secured thousands of hours of programming for its array of channels that include a dedicated Fashion Channel, Travel Channel, Music Channel, Documentary Channel, Animation Channel, Crypto News Channel, World Sports Channel, Indigenous Peoples Channel, LGBTQ2S+ Channel and a top Trending Channel showcasing the best shows, films, and programming from around the world.

Even if I knew how to stream, I don't see anything there that would interest me.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

January 1, 2023 4:20 pm  #4

If you don't like movies, series, sports, documentaries, music, or cartoons what do you watch?  News and reality shows seem to be the only things left.

January 1, 2023 4:26 pm  #5

Tomas Barlow wrote:

If you don't like movies, series, sports, documentaries, music, or cartoons what do you watch?  News and reality shows seem to be the only things left.

I don't watch much TV at all. The little I do watch, I can't imagine watching it on a computer screen or handheld device.

January 1, 2023 4:33 pm  #6

A simple HDMI cable (price: about $15-20, if that) could connect your computer to most HDTVs, and you could watch whatever you want online through your regular set, without needing to do much else. It's your choice, of course, but you're missing a ton of stuff, much of it free!

January 1, 2023 4:52 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

Their website says they are launching January 2023.  Original press releases in the fall said January 1 2023.  Looks impressive with the variety of streaming channels, but I hope they haven't taken on more than they can handle.

At least this service isn't run by any of the conglomerates or CBC.  Interesting to see if they can pull it off and if  anyone will watch.  People will need to know that they even exist, so JOIN TV will need some advertising.  And most important, lots of content to run the ten channels. 

Potentially JOIN could be an interesting and worthwhile streaming service. 

I wrote them an email at the address in the press release asking about a debut date and the good news is, it hasn't bounced back. So it seems like that's still active. I will let everyone know if I get an answer. 

January 1, 2023 7:11 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

It's your choice, of course, but you're missing a ton of stuff, much of it free!

I'm not missing anything if it's things I wouldn't watch anyway. I already get about 110 more channels than I ever watch. If it wasn't for my wife, I probably wouldn't have a TV in the house at all. She's the TV person.

January 1, 2023 7:59 pm  #9

turkeytop wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

It's your choice, of course, but you're missing a ton of stuff, much of it free!

I'm not missing anything if it's things I wouldn't watch anyway. I already get about 110 more channels than I ever watch. If it wasn't for my wife, I probably wouldn't have a TV in the house at all. She's the TV person.

People who watch nothing are not the audience they are after, so your opinion is too moot to care for.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 1, 2023 8:53 pm  #10

Radiowiz wrote:

People who watch nothing are not the audience they are after, so your opinion is too moot to care for.

I'm sure you're right about that. LOL

My late grandmother was a strict Baptist. She was against smoking, drinking, dancing, card games, TV and movies. I always say that if it wasn't for my fondness for beer, I could have made a good Baptist. Because I don't like any of those other things either.

January 1, 2023 9:17 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

A simple HDMI cable (price: about $15-20, if that) could connect your computer to most HDTVs, and you could watch whatever you want online through your regular set, without needing to do much else. It's your choice, of course, but you're missing a ton of stuff, much of it free!

Actually, if you have a Smart TV with Roku included you should be able to download an app that will allow you to cast most video from your handheld device to your TV screen, once you download the matching app from the Google Store onto your cell phone or tablet.

Also, I believe most recent versions of Windows also have the cast option when you hit the Windows + P keys simultaneously, if you're choosing to do it from a PC or laptop.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

January 2, 2023 3:16 am  #12

turkeytop wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

I don't watch much TV at all. The little I do watch, I can't imagine watching it on a computer screen or handheld device.

If you had a chromecast device, the television program on your laptop can be transferred to your big screen tv. I believe they cost $40-$50.

January 3, 2023 11:52 am  #13

RadioActive wrote:

I wrote them an email at the address in the press release asking about a debut date and the good news is, it hasn't bounced back. So it seems like that's still active. I will let everyone know if I get an answer. 

I did get an answer and it arrived on Tuesday. Here's what "Rebecca P." had to say:

----------------------

"Thank you for your email and inquiry!

The JOIN TV Network will be launching soon! Due to the overwhelming procurement of content for the JOIN Network of Channels, our staff have been working overtime to select the best content from across Canada and around the world for our viewers (such as you) to enjoy.

I've added you to our newsletter for ongoing updates as we are as excited as you are for the JOIN launch!

At this time, I would also like to ask what particular shows, movies, or channel content you're most looking forward to viewing so I can pass it on to our programmers to help us serve you better?"

-----------------------------

I'm not sure about being added to their mailing list automatically, but you'll notice they didn't answer my major question: when are you launching? There's still no date, despite their aspirations for Jan. 1, as mentioned in their press releases. 

As for what content I'm looking for, I can honestly say I have no idea. All I know is that it shouldn't be amateur productions (which would be a lot cheaper.) But we also don't need the same old classic sitcoms and dramas that all the existing streamers, like Tubi.tv and Pluto.tv, already have. How about imports from Europe, the stuff we only see on PBS here? There's tons of stuff there, but getting the rights to it might be either expensive or impossible. 

To me, whatever they wind up showing should be available worldwide - and without the usual geoblocking. 

What would you tell "Rebecca?" If you're interested, I'll be happy to pass your suggestions along. 

January 3, 2023 12:34 pm  #14

I sort of give her a pass for not giving a specific date.  Mainly because JOIN is not owned by any of the major broadcast companies, seems to be truly independent, and any equipment/systems needed to be purchased may have been delayed.

Since COVID we have seen this happen many times because of problems with delivery chains.  CHCH Hamilton's new facility launch was delayed many times because they couldn't get the new equipment,  CBS 62 Detroit news was originally going to launch almost a year ago, part of the delay again was problems receiving any new technology that they ordered.  Also they had delays building the new set. 

It is very risky to give a specific launch date, right now for almost anything new. Try ordering a new car or truck.  Up to a one year wait.  Back in the fall when JOIN released January 1st for it's launch sounded great and made sense.  But in reality they were setting themselves up for failure and missing the original launch date. 

January 3, 2023 12:39 pm  #15

I guess I'm not really complaining that they missed the date - only that they haven't given a time frame for their projected launch. You can't tune in if you're not aware it's online. Although according to your well-reasoned logic, that would just be setting themselves up for future failures! 

As for ordering a new car, well, I can speak to that. Put down my deposit last July. I'm now told I'll be lucky if I get it by THIS July. Have to keep my 16-year-old clunker running until they deliver - whenever that is. And they better not try and raise the price!

January 3, 2023 12:55 pm  #16

RadioActive wrote:

I guess I'm not really complaining that they missed the date - only that they haven't given a time frame for their projected launch. You can't tune in if you're not aware it's online. Although according to your well-reasoned logic, that would just be setting themselves up for future failures! 

As for ordering a new car, well, I can speak to that. Put down my deposit last July. I'm now told I'll be lucky if I get it by THIS July. Have to keep my 16-year-old clunker running until they deliver - whenever that is. And they better not try and raise the price!

I’ve been involved in product launches. Avoiding giving an exact date for a product launch is commonplace to avoid setting false expectations. Until it can be completely assured that there will be no delays, dates are not made public to either internal or external stakeholders.

January 3, 2023 1:48 pm  #17

paterson1 wrote:

It is very risky to give a specific launch date, right now for almost anything new. Try ordering a new car or truck.  Up to a one year wait.  Back in the fall when JOIN released January 1st for it's launch sounded great and made sense.  But in reality they were setting themselves up for failure and missing the original launch date. 

Perhaps also, it depends on when something started. 
As another great example of not launching on time,
The Eglinton LRT should be open by now. It isn't. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 25, 2023 3:49 pm  #18

Is this another "1220" - but in video form?

It's late September (all too soon) and still no Join TV.

They have updated their website from its initial iteration. But, and I did sign up to receive their newsletter(s), I have yet to receive any communication from them at all.

January 16, 2024 8:32 am  #19

Well....they're actually "on air", so-to-speak.

Their APP is available on both ROKU and in the Android Playstore - although they are not currently saying that they're now available. Their website still says "Coming soon".

There isn't a single program I recognize, so at this time, at least, they are not just running out of date repeats. None of what I saw enticed me to look any further so IMHO that needs to change sooner rather than later.